Are U2 drug free?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BVS said:

Just for the record, the Interference mobile app allows you to see the last post in the thread without clicking on it, so I all see when I pass this thread now is:

Is U2 drug free?
:lol:

So yeah, it's worth the free download.

Do you think U2 has tried Charlie Sheen, and does anyone here know where I can score some?

He's at someone's 16 year old sister's house.

( I was gonna say "at BVS's sister's house but I don't think I know you well enough.)

eta: but look, there, I just said it. :shrug:

I don't care if they've done drugs or what they've done or what they still do....Just wanted to point out that I looked through this entire section of the book and the only pic of anyone smoking with the band circled around them that I can find is Adam, who always had a smoke in his hands back then. His hand is covering whatever he is smoking so there's not really a way to tell it's a joint or a hand rolled cigarette as BVS mentioned. And the rest of the band doesn't look "really high." Unless I'm looking at the wrong photo....

You've got the right photo, and I've got the wrong man.
You are right, it's Adam, my bad.

To BVS: yes, of course it could be a hand rolled cigarette, like the one he (Adam) has in one of the inner photos of Achtung Baby's booklet.
If my post came across as fact, them I'm sorry, for it is clearly just my assumption.
Reasons for my assumption?
The way Adam holds the "cigarette" + the look on everyone's faces + the fact that Adam admitted he used to smoke marihuana in that period of time + ...just look at the photo, look at Larry's and Edge's eyes...
TO ME they are clearly high, but it's just an assumption and I thought this was the correct thread for this kind of assumption.

You've got the right photo, and I've got the wrong man.
You are right, it's Adam, my bad.

To BVS: yes, of course it could be a hand rolled cigarette, like the one he (Adam) has in one of the inner photos of Achtung Baby's booklet.
If my post came across as fact, them I'm sorry, for it is clearly just my assumption.
Reasons for my assumption?
The way Adam holds the "cigarette" + the look on everyone's faces + the fact that Adam admitted he used to smoke marihuana in that period of time + ...just look at the photo, look at Larry's and Edge's eyes...
TO ME they are clearly high, but it's just an assumption and I thought this was the correct thread for this kind of assumption.

Assume all you want, I'm not offended either way and I could care less if it was a joint. I just thought the "cleary it's a joint" was a little over the top especially given that none of them seem to be "strangely happy" in the slightest. :shrug:

Assume all you want, I'm not offended either way and I could care less if it was a joint. I just thought the "cleary it's a joint" was a little over the top especially given that none of them seem to be "strangely happy" in the slightest. :shrug:

Thank you, have a nice day BVS!

fail_thread.jpg

I swore in one of the '80s Rolling Stone U2 articles or interviews, there was a mention of Bono smoking hash, but for the life of me, I could never find it, so my brain probably just made it up.

But I think it's a little naive to think they've never done anything in that neighborhood.

this sounds familiar to me too. Dunno if i read it in RS, or just from people talking about it on here, lol.

There was an article mentioning that Bono was having Swedish hash and champagne and a lot of people took that to mean that he was taking drugs. I looked up Swedish hash on Google and the results were a dish containing fried potatoes, meat, and eggs. And no drugs. I think that's where the hash rumor came from, because there were discussions about it on a forum somewhere back when I first got into U2.

of course U2 has experimented! I would guess that they have at least tried alcohol, weed, shrooms, E, and LSD. Contrary to what people said earlier in the thread, LSD is not any more "hard core" than shrooms, and there are documentations of members of U2 trying shrooms so I wouldnt be surprised if they had a few acid trips during the Zooropa era as well.

That being said, we probably will never know (nor is it really our business), and I dont think they experiment much anymore save for maybe the occasional joint but who really knows...

of course U2 has experimented! I would guess that they have at least tried alcohol, weed, shrooms, E, and LSD. Contrary to what people said earlier in the thread, LSD is not any more "hard core" than shrooms, and there are documentations of members of U2 trying shrooms so I wouldnt be surprised if they had a few acid trips during the Zooropa era as well.

That being said, we probably will never know (nor is it really our business), and I dont think they experiment much anymore save for maybe the occasional joint but who really knows...

Acid is certainly a step above shrooms. I'll agree that they're not as far apart as people sometimes make them sound (as if it's cocaine).

There was an article mentioning that Bono was having Swedish hash and champagne and a lot of people took that to mean that he was taking drugs. I looked up Swedish hash on Google and the results were a dish containing fried potatoes, meat, and eggs. And no drugs. I think that's where the hash rumor came from, because there were discussions about it on a forum somewhere back when I first got into U2.

YES, YES, YES. This is the antidote i recall. And you're right that it was only a breakfast dish, haha

Acid is certainly a step above shrooms. I'll agree that they're not as far apart as people sometimes make them sound (as if it's cocaine).

Yes, I guess it can be a slight step up depending on various factors, but the point I was trying to make is that they are not as far apart as was said earlier on when someone was speculating about U2 and LSD. I assume they probably have tried it, but no proof of it (... other than ZOO TV, Zooropa, ... :wink:)

Yes, I guess it can be a slight step up depending on various factors, but the point I was trying to make is that they are not as far apart as was said earlier on when someone was speculating about U2 and LSD. I assume they probably have tried it, but no proof of it (... other than ZOO TV, Zooropa, ... :wink:)

I agree. Its a step up. And probably been tried. I think it was Flanagan's book where Bono expressed desire to go to Thailand or somewhere like that and try LSD after the tour ended. If the desire to try it was there since '93, i would just assume the experiment happened somewhere along the way.

When I think of party Bono or perhaps a detoxing Bono (like before coming home after a big tour and chilling in a hotel room)....I think of this.

Bono in a dress...

bonoabdress2.jpg

bonoabdress.jpg

BonoBWdress2.jpg

Sorry for my english!
In 1998/1999 a irish journalist said Bono and Gavin Friday have made a 3 nights stand partying. How can you partying 4 days in a row without taking anything?

Do you think they've tried ketamine? Can I just pretend that they have in my little head?

That's not what your post said... that I would find highly unlikely.

sorry my english is not really good!
i read the story on a blog at the time. It can't be verified but the guy wrote he have followed the two etc... It can be possible unless you take drugs! So....

In an interview in Dazed and Confused from when XTRMNTR came out, Bobby Gillespie talked about wild nights out with Bono.

Most people have taken drugs, especially people in rock bands. There have been casual mentions of it in the past with them, and their behaviour in the 90s is stereotypical of big bands really digging some good chemicals. Also, they are champion drinkers. I have an issue of Hot Press from 1997 when Oasis opened for them (as if anyone with Oasis in 1997 wasn't flying) and they drank Oasis under the table. U2 have fun and seem to be able to handle it all pretty well. No rehab or shameful behaviour. They are responsible.

Thinking that they haven't taken drugs is pretty naive. check out the "musical journey" bit from rattle and hum!

Most people have taken drugs, especially people in rock bands. There have been casual mentions of it in the past with them, and their behaviour in the 90s is stereotypical of big bands really digging some good chemicals. Also, they are champion drinkers. I have an issue of Hot Press from 1997 when Oasis opened for them (as if anyone with Oasis in 1997 wasn't flying) and they drank Oasis under the table. U2 have fun and seem to be able to handle it all pretty well. No rehab or shameful behaviour. They are responsible.

I dont doubt they drank Oasis under the table, i could have probably done that in my army days.

I seem to remember part of Bill Flanagan's book where the band's security guys were keeping tabs on what time the band members checked into their rooms after a night out, seems like they would come in at all hours of the day (having been out all night drinking and into the morning). I think Larry supposedly stumbled back to the hotel at 10am or something like that, which beat out the others who were stumbling in at 7, 8, etc.

Ive done that, back in my wild days, and i can tell you there sure is hell to pay when you do finally wake up.

Back
Top Bottom