Are U2 drug free?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One would think that if adam missed a show and immediately got himself clean afterwards that he was a little bit more than hungover.

I have no idea what u2 have or have not done in their careers. All I know is that they have some damned good PR people, and that it pays to have most of your organization be close friends who've been with you for decades.

It would be deviating to think that they haven't done anything with all that money, influence, and admiration over the last 30 years.

At least they have had their feet on the ground until this day, despite Adam's incident back in the early 90's. I guess mutual friendship, family, and values come in handy to avoid the negative side that money and drugs can bring.

The Adam story - at the time in Sydney, ZooTV was a huge story across the board, and the movements of the U2 members were kind of the celebrities-in-town focus of the gossipy columns in the papers and radio and all that.

They (U2) actually publicly announced (I think, from memory, even before they went on stage) that Adam was suffering a '24 hour virus', which as it is, takes no level of genius to read through. But within minutes of that message getting announced, people were ringing into Triple M (at the time the largest radio station in Sydney, and always the biggest U2 supporters) and telling stories of "Bullshit! I met him at 4am this morning outside X club, and he was fucked!" I can't remember any of the details, but in the days afterwards, quite a bit of the 'Adam Clayton's Bender' story was pieced together and out there at the time.

From memory it wasn't anything extraordinary. A bit of a self destructive drug'n'booze bender that went on for too long into the next day. Probably more just a case of him still being too far off his tits come game time then any kind of heart stopping medical emergency. And in At the End of the World, the band don't seem too worried, they just seem pissed off. That sounds like a reaction to someone just really fucking up, not, you know, dying.

During desire on the zoo tv tour, when bono performs as mirror ball man and in the intro in for example sydney on the same tour I think it's pretty obvious that he uses something to kick in the characters, and I don't think it's only alcohol and cigarettes ;)

I smoke weed, and I am proud of it :D

That's something to be proud of? :scratch:

I'm saying it's entirely possible I was wrong in my assumption, and that I can live with that.

I don't want too read to far into your use of "once" and "other than that.." - but let me guess, these two reports are what you believe to be the sum and total of their use of anything other than drink and cigs? :lol:

14246.jpg

Well I don't doubt some Interference members have the real dirty stories...but for the rest of the real world, yes, that is what we know of.

The drug arrest, the mushroom story and them getting drunk on stage.

I have no problem with them trying drugs, getting drunk and partying. They have never been junkies at any point of their career and will never be, because they are party guys, not depressed like some other musicians..... it makes a big difference.

The Adam story - at the time in Sydney, ZooTV was a huge story across the board, and the movements of the U2 members were kind of the celebrities-in-town focus of the gossipy columns in the papers and radio and all that.

They (U2) actually publicly announced (I think, from memory, even before they went on stage) that Adam was suffering a '24 hour virus', which as it is, takes no level of genius to read through. But within minutes of that message getting announced, people were ringing into Triple M (at the time the largest radio station in Sydney, and always the biggest U2 supporters) and telling stories of "Bullshit! I met him at 4am this morning outside X club, and he was fucked!" I can't remember any of the details, but in the days afterwards, quite a bit of the 'Adam Clayton's Bender' story was pieced together and out there at the time.

From memory it wasn't anything extraordinary. A bit of a self destructive drug'n'booze bender that went on for too long into the next day. Probably more just a case of him still being too far off his tits come game time then any kind of heart stopping medical emergency. And in At the End of the World, the band don't seem too worried, they just seem pissed off. That sounds like a reaction to someone just really fucking up, not, you know, dying.

Wasn't this the time when Adam found out dear Naomi Campbell was getting jiggy with Robert Di Nero? Bobby does love the sisters.....

I think its really naive to believe U2 are a pure, innocent bunch. If Bono weren't so politically active as he is, he and the rest of the band would've admitted to the other drugs (ie, coke and E) they have done. Really, they're wholesome image is just that - an image (and what I mean by wholesome, compared to other rock bands, U2 is that).

I reckon a few spliffs, a spattering of mushrooms and a dabble of Es in the 90s. There's a video of Bono and Edge at the Clarence where Edge looks a like somebody who may have taken E..but this is, of course, sheer speculation and somewhat irrelevant.
YouTube - U2 Freedom to Dance

I kinda feel like it's none of our damned business! :reject:

Well I'm kinda ashamed to say that I am still a little bit interested, purely because they are part of the whole 'rock n roll world' and live that lifestyle that most people can only dream about. People like to hear stories of rock stars and their decadence, people love recounting stories of Keith Richards' hedonism or the Madchester rave bands like the Happy Mondays and what they all got up to.

I don't think its something to be ashamed of to admit you are a little bit interested by that rock and roll image and lifestyle, as far as I'm concerned its all part of the appeal. One of the reasons I get annoyed by Coldplay is that they come across like a bunch of boring guys who don't go out and get drunk or smoke or do drugs or do anything crazy. That's not what I want from rock stars!

I agree 100% about Coldplay. I'm not saying taking drugs should be condoned if you happen to be a rock star, but I can't stand Chris "macrobiotic" Martin and his Tofu Crew (otherwise known as Coldplay). A bowl of lentil soup is Martin's definition of excess. Bono couldn't have said it better, Martin is "a wanker, a cretin and totally dysfunctional".

I agree 100% about Coldplay. I'm not saying taking drugs should be condoned if you happen to be a rock star, but I can't stand Chris "macrobiotic" Martin and his Tofu Crew (otherwise known as Coldplay). A bowl of lentil soup is Martin's definition of excess. Bono couldn't have said it better, Martin is "a wanker, a cretin and totally dysfunctional".
you know that was a joke comment, right?

I'm not saying taking drugs should be condoned if you happen to be a rock star, but I can't stand Chris "macrobiotic" Martin and his Tofu Crew (otherwise known as Coldplay). A bowl of lentil soup is Martin's definition of excess.

:lol: Well put!

I like this post. A lot. And I'm not even drugged up! :up:

There's a video of Bono and Edge at the Clarence where Edge looks a like somebody who may have taken E..but this is, of course, sheer speculation and somewhat irrelevant.

It's funny this thread gets made once a year, and this video always shows up in it, along with another from the Pop era... but this video doesn't look like anyone I've ever seen on E. Drunk and maybe stoned, but nothing like the people I've seen on E. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom