Are U2 a "white man's" band?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And I cant say for sure that's where the OP got it but he was posting in that thread, it was just my guess.

Sicy, I'm not upset in the least. You know how I get on if I'm upset :huh: I don't have to be upset to think something is flawed. I just don't get the purpose of a thread like this. But, like many threads, I can choose not to participate.. :shrug:

I'm in the greatest of moods: U2 is back on tour, tickets in hand...I'm on cloud nine my friend, cloud nine! :) :hyper:

And I cant say for sure that's where the OP got it but he was posting in that thread, it was just my guess.

It was that thread yes. As I was looking through the pictures after [Mark] pointed himself out, it struck me I didn't notice any other black faces, which reminded me of my previous thoughts on the topic.

Are we now at a stage where we are all homogeneous? I really don't see how my original post could be construed as being racist in anyway. Is my initial observation incorrect? Several people have mentioned U2 concerts are a very "white" environment.

Just because seeing a black guy prompted my thought doesn't mean I was incredulous at the thought of a black/asian/whatever dude being at a U2 show - just whether rock bands, and in particular U2, do not appeal to non-Caucasians.

It is people like you, gvox, that cause problems because of your absurd over-reaction. Maybe you should just have a discussion without bandying around unfounded assertions about me.

EDIT: I find your response particularly ironic given your signature.

I just don't get the purpose of a thread like this.

In my opinion, these are the kind of thought-provoking threads that I want to see on a forum instead of the same old 'song survivor' type stuff and 'lets analyse Bono's hairstyle circa mid-1991'. Its an intelligent and interesting point to make as to why there are less black people into U2 or rock music generally. Personally, I knew a black guy in my university hall last year who would play the Vertigo Chicago DVD really loud, so he got my respect big time for that!

On a side note, isn't it kinda true what they say about people's reactions - the ones who react strongly or get really hung-up about race discussions are those who are inadvertantly judgemental or harbour prejudice. (Not that I'm throwing any accusations of the sort at anyone here)

I'm just going to respond to the OP to clarify what my concern was, and that will be all I have to say on the subject:

It was that thread yes. As I was looking through the pictures after [Mark] pointed himself out, it struck me I didn't notice any other black faces, which reminded me of my previous thoughts on the topic.

Granted, but in almost every other picture of fans that have been shared here, there are other non-white U2 fans, including black ones. In addition, U2 plays entire continents where there are very few white people. So it struck me as odd that it appeared that this had just occurred to you.

Are we now at a stage where we are all homogeneous? I really don't see how my original post could be construed as being racist in anyway. Is my initial observation incorrect? Several people have mentioned U2 concerts are a very "white" environment.

Just because seeing a black guy prompted my thought doesn't mean I was incredulous at the thought of a black/asian/whatever dude being at a U2 show - just whether rock bands, and in particular U2, do not appeal to non-Caucasians.

To be clear: I do not think that you are necessarily a 'racist'. My definition of 'racism' however may be different than others. I don't think one has to necessarily be against or speak out against anyone who doesn't look like them to be 'racist'. I do think that people (NOTE: not necessarily you) who always see things in terms of color have a bit of an issue.

It is people like you, gvox, that cause problems because of your absurd over-reaction. Maybe you should just have a discussion without bandying around unfounded assertions about me.

EDIT: I find your response particularly ironic given your signature.

I have already pointed out that I perhaps incorrectly drew a line between what Carlos and Sicy had pointed out.

I still maintain that calling U2 a 'white mans band', or inviting debate/discussion on whether they are or are not, is at minimum flawed, and maybe a little inflammatory, intentionally or not.

/mythoughtsonit

I have been a huge U2 fan since 1980 (and I am black) - never thought about the band being anything other than an awesome rock and roll band...

Granted, but in almost every other picture of fans that have been shared here, there are other non-white U2 fans, including black ones. In addition, U2 plays entire continents where there are very few white people. So it struck me as odd that it appeared that this had just occurred to you.
I am not saying U2 has no non-white fans, just that they do not have many. I don't see many pictures of crowds on this forum, so I can't comment on that - I am going from random images on Google and DVDs/bootlegs

I do think that people (NOTE: not necessarily you) who always see things in terms of color have a bit of an issue.
I agree, however we have to accept people have differences (male/female; gay/straight; black/white; rich/poor) and studying those differences keeps an awful lot of sociologists etc. in a job. People who NEVER recognise differences in colour have equal problems.

As for the thread title, I wanted something more informal than "Are U2 a band who primarily appeal to caucasian audiences", though maybe I mised the spot on that.

The thread topic on the other hand... too much sanitisation/censorship goes on in society as it is (thoughtcrime?). If we can't discuss issues like this, we can stick to repeating the same "most over-rated track on Joshua Tree mk VII".

This is such a silly, silly thread....but no offense taken thelaj.

Yes...I'm black. I love U2. People often make jokes because a majority of white people love U2. I have also had friends give me the eye because I love the 4 white guys from Dublin.

I used "black" in the other picture to identify myself so people can spot me.

It is a novelty in a way. So much so I poke fun of it via my license plate. Not being racist. Just pointing out the obvious and making joke. Surely everyone who knows me knows that it is all for fun. I pride myself in being the U2 Brother......and I make sure I conduct myself as a friend to all I meet.

To be honest, I've met other black people while on tour...and it's been fantastic connecting with other people who connect with U2 spirtually despite race.

U2 know what hardship, poverty, and violence is like while growing up in Dublin. As a result, others who may be minorities (and those who aren't) can relate to the music.

I even think Bono recognizes me as "the black bald guy in the front row."

Despite that. Here is how I'm going to show up to the Toronto 1 show so that no one can identify me as black or white.

3399644886_ab790904ed_b.jpg

Thread CLOSED!

The thread topic on the other hand... too much sanitisation/censorship goes on in society as it is (thoughtcrime?). If we can't discuss issues like this, we can stick to repeating the same "most over-rated track on Joshua Tree mk VII".

i couldn't agree with this statement more. you wonder if we could just throw out all the sensitivity and just talk things through.......yeah.....easier said than done. :D

This is such a silly, silly thread.

Yes...I'm black. I love U2. People often make jokes because a majority of white love U2.

I used "black" to identify myself in the picture just so people can spot me.

To be honest, I've met other black people while on tour...and it's been fantastic connecting with other people who connect with U2 spirtually despite race.

U2 know what hardship, poverty, and violence is like while growing up in Dublin. As a result, other who may be minorities (and those who aren't) can relate to the music.

Despite that. Here is how I'm going to show up to the Toronto 1 show so that no one can identify me as black or white.

3399644886_ab790904ed_b.jpg

Thread CLOSED!

LOL! i sure hope that photo is your desktop background. :lol:

Do you think U2 has a problem with a black superman using the toilet?

Yes or no?

^

I just want to know the story behind that picture.

Do you think U2 has a problem with a black superman using the toilet?

Yes or no?

well, i'm sure they let Will.I.AM. poop when he was helping with the album, and boy did he do some "super" things with Crazy Tonight.

Heyo!!!

Back
Top Bottom