Appreciation for the studio version of 'Bad'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
For all the praise and adoration that the live versions of 'Bad' have (rightfully) earned over the years, I have always thought there was something magical about the studio version. It's a reflective, sparser, atmospheric piece, emotionally charged but restrained, as opposed to the more guitar-driven shout-it-from-the-rooftops live anthem it would become(referring particularly to the chorus here). Much is gained in the live versions, to be sure, but I feel that something is also lost in the live versions, the atmospherics, the space between everything, the emotional restraint, the sounds that the guitar replaced(one example is the electronic-sounding chiming during the 'hoo-hoo' parts before the choruses), etc.

It's just kind of mesmerizing to me and I felt like writing about it.

:yes: I love studio Bad, that's usually the one I listen to (although I do love it live, too). There's little details in it that are really nice- for example, there's a transition or something (sorry, I don't know the technical term) at about 3:18 that for some reason I find magical.

Yes! I love the studio version of Bad! Depending on my mood, I might prefer the live versions (especially WAIA or Live Aid) but the studio version is pretty damn perfect on its own. :heart:

I've loved the studio version of Bad since the moment I first heard it when I was eleven. Fucking awesome track.

Then when I discovered the live version, well that helped start my descent into the crazy depths of the U2 world ...

Musically, I prefer the studio version. Transcendent. So powerful.

But there aren't many things on earth quite as amazing as hearing Bad live.

Of course the studio version of Bad is fu**ing brilliant. I never understood the resistance to it here. If that song was on the next record there would be a record amount of drool around this place and more than one declaration that it's the best song of the 00's.

Yeah, the song comes off live, but the studio version is very fine as well...as The Cobster to eloquently put it, transcendent.

IMO, it really does capture the best of the U2 magic - in the studio.

I prefer it to most live versions of the song, including Rattle and Hum and especially every live version over the last 20 years.

It exemplifies what U2 used to do so well. Maybe because they didn't have enough time to sit around and 'perfect' it, like they do these days.

Studio 'Bad' just has the unfortunate circumstance of having (in particular) that WAIA version breathing down its neck. One of the very best things U2 has ever done. Period.

IMO, it really does capture the best of the U2 magic - in the studio.

I prefer it to most live versions of the song, including Rattle and Hum and especially every live version over the last 20 years.

It exemplifies what U2 used to do so well. Maybe because they didn't have enough time to sit around and 'perfect' it, like they do these days.

Studio 'Bad' just has the unfortunate circumstance of having (in particular) that WAIA version breathing down its neck. One of the very best things U2 has ever done. Period.

Couldn't agree more. Studio Bad is a top 20 U2 song for me but WAIA version is probably the best recording they've ever made and is the reason why I am and always will be a U2 fanatic.

I think Wide Awake in America version is one of the weaker versions of Bad I've heard. Still very good, but I can think of dozens that I prefer. The Unforgettable Fire tour alone had some spectacular performances of Bad and that wasn't one of them.

I think Wide Awake in America version is one of the weaker versions of Bad I've heard. Still very good, but I can think of dozens that I prefer. The Unforgettable Fire tour alone had some spectacular performances of Bad and that wasn't one of them.

Yeah, agreed. I never thought it was one of the more spectacular versions. Bad was at its best on the JT Tour.

I concur that the studio cut of 'Bad' is the best. In fact, I think it's probably the quintessential U2 track, and perhaps the best track they've ever cut.

Love it. Listen with headphones and it sounds beautifully rich. Crank up the volume during the outtro and you'll hear Edge's solo kick in as the song fades away. It's almost like a tease for the eventual live arrangement.

I agree with the above assessments. Bad is U2 through and through, perhaps their greatest achievement in the studio. I find most "in appreciation of..." threads tend to go overboard with the superlatives, but Bad is a rare example that justifies the lauding. They had a deadline, and they didn't have the time to overcook the thing. It's so natural and free-flowing, it sounds like it was cut from a single take (you can't say that about too many U2 songs in the past 16 or so years).

The Album version is fantastic and I listen to it more than live versions, which is opposite of most U2 songs. Amazing, amazing amazing song. U2 as great as they can be. On the JT Tour it was really a show stopper, on TUF tour it didn't seem they had it musically worked out. And every tour since it hasn't led up to those over 10 minute epic versions.

:up: This song is a classic. The studio version is full of raw, emotional honesty and vulnerability. Bono's lyrics are haunting. I love how the song gradually crescendos to the last I'M WIDE AWAKE...I'm not sleeping and then just fades away. I get so drawn into the emotion of that song every time I hear it.

Great song.
Great thread.

Personally I rank Live Aid, Conspiracy Of Hope, some JT versions, all Lovetown versions and most Zoo TV 1992 versions higher.

Back
Top Bottom