Anything You Dislike About JT or AB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DevilsShoes

War Child
These two albums are widely considered to be the very best of U2's career, and for good reason, they both capture the band at a real creative high. But is there anything you dislike about them?

As much as I love AB, it can be a little relentlessly bleak, particularly towards the end, there's very light there at all, its still the bands heaviest record IMO.

Criticising JT is very difficult for me, its my all-time favourite, but maybe Gods Country and Trip Through Your Wires are filler and could have been replaced with something else, plus as much as I love Bono's lyrics from this era, he does tend to re-use the likes of 'rain' 'wind' and 'burning' a fair bit. Something which would change quite rapidly when we hit the nineties.

Anyway, over to you.

I dislike the fact that the sound is too low for most of the second half of JT.
For exemple, we can't hear the beginning of Exit.

Otherwise, it's pretty much perfect.

P.S. I would have replaced Trip through youre wires by either Spanish eyes, Walk to the water or Luminous times.

I don't really like the album version of Bullet the blue sky, compared to some bad ass live versions that have been done over the years.

Same thing for Exit.

I wish U2 would have released their double album they wanted JT to be. I just wish I could know what the track order would've been, etc. Just to get an idea of their original vision.

Nope I think they were at their songwritting peak during this time and I would include the studio tracks on Rattle and Hum as being part of this.

The Joshua Tree is regarded as one of U2's best albums and people think it's better than the Unforgettable Fire, that's what I hate about it

The Joshua Tree is regarded as one of U2's best albums and people think it's better than the Unforgettable Fire, that's what I hate about it

:hi5: :wink:

TJT: I am not the biggest fan ever of the first half. I don't dislike it, but some stuff like ISHFWILF and Bullet (shock and awe) are not favorites

AB: The first two tracks aren't favorites, and I really don't like The Fly all that much either.

Both of the albums made my top ten of all time though.

The Joshua Tree is their best album, hard to criticize much. I'd say my only criticism is that a few more well-placed tracks like Luminous Times and Spanish Eyes would have made it even better.

Where do I begin with Achtung Baby? Its biggest problem by far is its production, muddling it with random noise that eliminates its best feature: Edge's guitar. That knocks it down many pegs. Bono's vocals at some points are weak, and didn't have to be. Its tracklisting could have been much better executed.

JT is U2's best album, AB is probably the 6th best.

The Joshua Tree is their best album, hard to criticize much. I'd say my only criticism is that a few more well-placed tracks like Luminous Times and Spanish Eyes would have made it even better.

Where do I begin with Achtung Baby? Its biggest problem by far is its production, muddling it with random noise that eliminates its best feature: Edge's guitar. That knocks it down many pegs. Bono's vocals at some points are weak, and didn't have to be. Its tracklisting could have been much better executed.

JT is U2's best album, AB is probably the 6th best.

You don't like the production? That's news to me, slaphead.

Good 3000th post. Glad to see you make it out here.

How 'bout those Mets/Yankees?

They're not my two favourite U2 albums, so I've got my share of criticisms for both of them. Mostly I'm sick of the warhorses from JT, bar WOWY which always sounds fresh, and I wish the band had remembered that they recorded Spanish Eyes when they were compiling the album tracklist.

AB is extremely up and down. I find it to be pretty bland nowadays, but it used to be my favourite album. I still like UTEOTW, The Fly, MW, Zoo Station and Ultraviolet, but none of them are favourites. I always thought Acrobat, in the form it is, to be terribly overrated.

Hmmm, both are perfect
Only 2 things to say: you gotta be in the right mood to listen AB's three final songs....they're really "heavy"
And I'm not a big fan of "One Tree Hill"....something's lacking in that song. Just don't ask me what!!!

Well, they are too, but on the sound of AB's last threeis pretty dark, depressing. I don't know...you finish listen and you feel like something is wrong.
Y'see....Mothers is really sad...but it has a comforting melody....really beautiful. When you finish the album, it's sad, but it's not depressing.
I guess that's the difference between AB and JT endings....but you're right, both have sad endings.

JT is almost perfect for me. Even though I sometimes skip the first three songs - because I'm tired of them, not because I don't like them - I must say that the album flows for me and there is nothing really weak on this album.

I listened to AB again some days ago, and there are some moments on it I consider weak, they interrupt the flow of the album. While I love End of the world, One and some other songs, I'm not such a big fan of Wild Horses, Ultraviolet and So Cruel. In fact, So Cruel bored the hell out of me and Ultraviolet was getting on my nerves with all this "Baby Baby Baby".

Acrobat and Love Is Blindness are amazing songs, all in all it's a great album but, at least for me, far from perfection. Production-wise it's also not so great.

I think that "Exit" is a stinker of a song, and that the album version of "Bullet" is quite boring. I also think that the second half of JT is good, but nothing that special.

I don't like "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" and "So Cruel", and again I find the album version of "Until the End..." pretty dull. I never liked Bono's vocals on the studio version of "One" - I find it too strained and nasally.

Achtung is perfect, although I'm not the biggest fan of So Cruel.

I dislike Trip Through Your Wires and both One Tree Hill and Exit could have benefited from better production.

That's about it.

Hmm, i love both albums immensely but if i was being very picky, I'd say that the only thing I don't like about AB is Who's Gonna Ride. There's nothing I dislike about the JT, though AB is my favourite album.

The law volume, tehy have betwen 91,0 db and 93,0 db, it's too low, the rest of the rock n' roll albums in those years, have betwen 95,0 and 96,0 db, a still waiting for the achtung baby remastered.

Back
Top Bottom