Anyone heard this CONFIRMED - U2 to open Grammys?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kinsa

Acrobat
I searched the forum, but didn't find anything about this, so wanted to know if anyone else had any information about the rumor I heard this morning on the radio - after they played "One" (of course, not Boots:mad:), the DJ said that the rumors in the industry are flying that U2 will be the opening act for the Grammys this year. This was said in conjunction with a Grammys ticket give away the station is doing. The DJ said she thought there was a good chance it was true because of the new album. But she had no source for the rumor, so who knows what is was based on?

So peeps - anyone else hear anything? I'm trying not to get :hyper:, but you never know!

What radio station Kinsa?

from www.grammy.com

The 51st Annual GRAMMY Awards will be held Feb. 8 at Staples Center in Los Angeles, and will be broadcast live in high-definition TV and 5.1 Surround Sound on the CBS Television Network at 8–11:30 p.m. (ET/PT). The show will also be supported on radio via Westwood One worldwide and covered online at GRAMMY.com and CBS.com, on Twitter at "theGRAMMYs," on Facebook at "The Recording Academy," on YouTube at "51stGRAMMYs," and on Last.fm at "the51stgrammys." The GRAMMY Pre-Telecast will be streamed live on GRAMMY.com on Feb. 8 at 4 p.m. ET/1 p.m. PT. Additional performers, presenters and special segments to be announced.

does the band have anything previously scheduled for that night? :shrug:

:wave: so far I have only heard it played on 94.9 here in SD, but I only listen in my car as well.

:wave: Hi! bonocomet! I started listening to 94.9 after I saw on the other thread that you had heard it on there. I didn't even know about this station! :reject: So now I have a new station to obsess over hearing Boots on. I have no idea why there seems to be a total blackout on Boots in SD.:mad:

Could be, would be cool, but I somehow doubt it...

I think the day of radio stations having the inside scoop on all that is music are almost gone.

Why would U2 be playing the Grammys when they havent been nominated or even eligable to be nominated for anything.

Ive never seen this happen in the past and I cant see it happening this year either, even for U2 even though I hope I am proven wrong.

I think U2 could play the next Grammys, but not this one, since they're not up for anything.

I don't think it's crucial to be up for an award in order to play at the Grammys, despite what may have been done in the past. It's perfect timing to advertise for NLOTH, and it's perfect advertising, too. All it would take is pulling of a few strings, and I'm sure that U2 could pull those strings if anybody can. I don't think it's a wild rumor.

Is U2 playing the Grammys?

This morning WMMR in Philly reported that U2 may be opening this years Grammys even though they are not nominated. Its similiar to what the Police did. Yet I just did a web search and don't see this rumour posted anywhere.
Is anyone else hearing this?

not gonna happen, the album comes out right after the grammy's sothey'll ride that wave and probably play and win some next year, i say i say

Why would U2 be playing the Grammys when they havent been nominated or even eligable to be nominated for anything.

Ive never seen this happen in the past and I cant see it happening this year either, even for U2 even though I hope I am proven wrong.

I'm pretty sure I've seen artists perform at the Grammys who weren't nominated for anything that night or even eligible for nomination. What about Simon and Garfunkel opening the show a few years back? I seem to remember John Legend performing right after his first album came out and was a big hit, even though it was released after the date it would have been eligible for Grammy consideration.

My local radio station named some of the artists that will be performing at the grammy's, and no mention of U2. I would think they would definitely mention them if they were going to be performing.

However they also haven't said specifically who is opening the show. I checked the Grammy site and they have announced a bunch of performers but are not talking about who is opening which could mean that they hadn't decided yet or that someone else is in the works. They also don't say that all the performers have been announced.

Dana

I agree it would be odd because they aren't nominated - but didn't the Police open the Grammys last year (or the year before, I can't remember)? It just seems like a real possibility because
(a) the Grammys obviously love U2 and
(b) what better forum for U2 to get a ton of publicity in the US for the new album?

Back
Top Bottom