Anyone actually like Grace? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2017, 08:26 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 09:20 PM
Anyone actually like Grace?

I'm a big fan of ATYCLB, I know some don't like it, but for me it's one of U2's best, most enjoyable listens. That is, until Grace comes on...

Grace is just a right stinker. It is so incredibly boring. That is it's biggest offence. It's one of it's only offences really, but it is such a huge offence that I feel it seems so out of place on this album. Or any album really. It seems like a very lazy closer, and should have been a B-Side at best.

They should have closed the album with "Always". That would have been epic. I love that song. I know it's an early version of Beautiful Day, but if BD opened the album and Always closed it, then it would work very nicely!

So yeah, does anyone actually even like Grace?

Old 10-07-2017, 08:39 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I like it in an abstract sort of way. If I listen to the lyrics too hard, then yeah, it's a stupid song. But if I listen to it the same way I would listen to a song like "Elvis Presley and America", where the vocal is just another instrument, and I don't pay attention to the lyrics, then I don't mind it. I like the overall mood and feel of the music, and Bono's voice itself sounds good. I like the ways the guitar and bass play off each other, like 2 lead instruments playing a duet.

I'm somebody who doesn't normally listen to the lyrics first in a song. I think by having this habit, I'm able to enjoy songs most people don't.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:06 AM   #3
The Fly

Local Time: 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
I like it in an abstract sort of way. If I listen to the lyrics too hard, then yeah, it's a stupid song. But if I listen to it the same way I would listen to a song like "Elvis Presley and America", where the vocal is just another instrument, and I don't pay attention to the lyrics, then I don't mind it. I like the overall mood and feel of the music, and Bono's voice itself sounds good. I like the ways the guitar and bass play off each other, like 2 lead instruments playing a duet.

I'm somebody who doesn't normally listen to the lyrics first in a song. I think by having this habit, I'm able to enjoy songs most people don't.
I remember once, years ago, I was in a funk over something. Out of my hundreds and hundreds of cds, I ended up putting on Elvis Presley and America and listened to it over and over.

It was therapeutic for some reason. I have no idea why.

As for Grace . . . yeah I like it, for a closer. It bookends BD and the theme of the album very nicely. It feels right to me. I'd say in a similar way to Yahweh on their next album. Though Yahweh is catchier.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:10 AM   #4
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:20 AM
It's different for me as I know it as the reserved song before TGBHF closes the album. I don't dislike it, and not every U2 song has to be an upbeat rocker.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:04 AM   #5
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:20 PM
Open and close with the same song? Yeah, that would have gone over well.

Grace is fine.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:13 AM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 03:20 AM
I like it very much. A perfectly moody tune.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:37 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

It gets a little too much shit 'round here. Like a lot of Bono's songs, I choose to just ignore the corny lyrics and instead just enjoy it in my own way.

My wife is very into analyzing lyrics, which is why she can't listen to certain u2 songs.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:08 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

It's fine. It's the type of song you have to be in the mood for, but it's a decent tune overall .
Old 10-07-2017, 12:42 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

There's nothing wrong with Grace. Or Peace on Earth (the other song on ATYCLB that gets hate around here) for that matter. It's a lovely little song.

Let's put it this way. Grace, and every other song on that record, is much better than Best Thing About Me.

And Always isn't a very good U2 song (though it also is better than the new single).
Old 10-07-2017, 12:45 PM   #10
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
There's nothing wrong with Grace. Or Peace on Earth (the other song on ATYCLB that gets hate around here) for that matter. It's a lovely little song.
I don't mind Peace On Earth. The other song on ATYCLB that I don't like that much is New York, but it's still much better than Grace IMO.

I just can't listen to Grace without getting extremely bored.

To each their own, but Grace, for me, really let the album down.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:46 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Anyone actually like Grace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevgreg View Post
It's fine. It's the type of song you have to be in the mood for, but it's a decent tune overall .

Exactly, the right mood indeed. I remember listening to it Christmas of 2000. It was a cold, snowy evening, and I was driving home after Christmas at my Grandparents house. I was 18 and full of whimsy and wonder (full of shit?), and I remember Xmas lights as I drove through town, listening to Grace.

That's the memory I associate with Grace, and my circumstances have to be something similar to that for me to really enjoy the song.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:05 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I like Grace for what it is, which is a soothing, slow-paced song. A lot of U2 album closers fit this mold, though Grace is particularly slow, which is why some people don't seem to have the patience for it.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:17 PM   #13
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 08:20 AM
Grace is definitely a bad song - maybe not deserving of all the shit it gets, but deserving of at least some.

Ending with Always is a bloody weird idea though. They should've just used The Ground Beneath Her Feet as the eleventh and last song. It makes a great closer on the Aussie version of the album.

And, you know, Summer Rain definitely should've been on the album ahead of Grace, Peace on Earth, and In a Little While.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:09 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabigon View Post
It's different for me as I know it as the reserved song before TGBHF closes the album. I don't dislike it, and not every U2 song has to be an upbeat rocker.
I agree, its fine as the quiet, soundscape led track before TGBHF but as an album closer its a bit disappointing. As an individual song its pretty good and lots better than Yahweh.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:33 AM   #15
War Child

Local Time: 06:20 AM
I think it's a really good song. I mean, it's not a U2-classic or anything, obviously, but it's a very nice composition and a good closer.

I also think the lyrics are quite good.