Any good Larry stuff?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I've gotten my dad, a drummer, into U2 over the last couple of years. He sits in his basement with U2:18 blaring and tries to match Larry hit for hit. He's obsessed with the notion that no one, not even Larry, can play SBS exactly as it is on the album (Larry's live version has always been different than the album version).

Anyway, this Christmas, what can one get someone who's interested in Larry in a strictly musical sense (no PLEBA stuff here! :wink: )?

I'm thinking of getting him a remastered War, but that's all I can think of. Is there anything good out there? Videos of Larry playing? Bootleg DVDs like 1997-06-15 Edmonton, in which most of the camera is on Larry for a large portion of the show?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hm, SBS is a prime example of Larry.
Acrobat is pretty good too, it has a very slow build up.
The new christmas song is pretty decent too, love the mallet thing.

Well IMHO, as a drummer, tightness is key. I'd recommend the 1992 Washington DC show, or any 1989 material (Point Depot). I think Larry was absolutely amazing back then... not loose like he is these days. Just listen to the The Fly from DC and tell me that's not the tightest you've ever heard him...

Larry drumming? If your dad doesn't have October he needs to hear that

Larry was in his prime on the first three albums; although later songs like Acrobat have some great drumming parts

Have you showed him Discotheque from Mexico City? There are some shots of Larry just tearing up that B-stage kit.

Does anyone else absolutely adore the drumming in Bad (especially the studio version)?

With Or Without You from Rattle And Hum. He kind of cheats and wears head phones to listen to a click track..but it sounds :drool:

I would get him the Red Rocks DVD. My Grampa is a drummer too (He plays all of Zeppelin's Moby Dick at nearly 80!) And he loved watching Larry play on that.

Or make him a "Larry Mullen Band" T-shirt!

With or Without You from Rattle and Hum DVD
Acrobat
Mofo
Bad Live
Exit Live
Silver and Gold from Rattle and Hum DVD
Discotheque Live

Get him the upcoming album, it's Larry's best performance :up:

Totally seconded, let me know when the DeLorean starts working and you can travel into the future :happy:. :up::up::up::up:

Otherwise, as a drummer, maybe some videos where Larry features prominently so he can pick up on how Larry's playing, exactly. U23D would be a decent example, but obviously it's not out yet.

Back
Top Bottom