Another extremist blog to laugh at...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That was actually pretty funny. I do consider No Line to be by far their least interesting record (with some really bad lyrics... and a few good ones), so I sort-of agree with much of that blog.

I think what a lot of people -- like the blogger -- don't acknowledge, though, is that being a populist band with artistic ambitions IS A HELL OF A LOT HARDER than being a niche / indie / cult band with a fair-sized, devoted following. Very few bands could ever remain simultaneously as accessible and as ambitious as U2, even for a few years, but to do it for 30 years or whatever is really astounding. There are actually other famous musicians who are, literally, astounded at how U2 can do this.

Of course, the band should be applauded for this unique achievement, but instead they're the easy fodder for anyone looking to puncture the biggest and most obvious balloon. Hence, the plethora of these silly commentaries.

The writer of the blog comes off as just another self important ("hey look at me, I have a blog!") douchebag begging for attention, which is kind of ironic since he probably thinks the same of u2 and their fans.

However, I will give him credit that NLOTH is basically a fucking turd of an album save for 3 or 4 songs, and also I totally agree with this- "Most people are idiots" -because seriously, many people are.

The writer of the blog comes off as just another self important ("hey look at me, I have a blog!") douchebag begging for attention, which is kind of ironic since he probably thinks the same of u2 and their fans.

However, I will give him credit that NLOTH is basically a fucking turd of an album save for 3 or 4 songs, and also I totally agree with this- "Most people are idiots" -because seriously, many people are.

I agree most are idiots. Especially those who think there are only 3 good songs on NLOTH. :wink:

You're right -- 3 good songs is probably a slight exaggeration (I would say 2 great songs, and 1 quite good one. The rest I can happily live without). Of course there are committed fans who think NLOTH is one of U2's best albums, just as there are people who think Self Portrait is one of Bob Dylan's best (for example, my dad thinks this). But the general consensus amongst music fans, including past/current U2 fans, is that NLOTH is an average-at-best U2 album, which added nothing to their legacy.

I happen to support that consensus. That doesn't make it "correct" -- no opinion expressing one's taste is -- but it does lend more support to the blog-writer's perspective than to, say, doctorwho's.

Fortunately, the fanboy super-snob fan always has the easy out of saying: "Most people are idiots! Therefore, if and when my opinion is in the minority, I'm right because most people are idiots." False logic, but if helps people sleep at night, it's all good.

There's a trend among critics to sacrifice honesty for caustic irreverence. Judging by the attention it gets, who can blame them.

Best Quote:

"My introduction to No Line came in the form of "Get on Your Boots" which promises to retard-wrestle Third Eye Blinds "Non-Dairy Creamer" for worst song of 2009.

:lmao:

retard-wresle? what a f*cking awful way to describe anything... certainly enough for me to not want to click the link

Back
Top Bottom