Announcement from stage Dec 4th 7am est

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Could be loads of things.

Surprise new album. Ten new shows in Africa or S. America in 2020. A Documentary or film (though it seems like an odd style for that). Something to do with 2020 in general. 30th Anniversary Achtung Baby starting early, ha... unlikely. 2020 is the 20th Anniversary of ATYCLB... which will make many people feel old. They did announce JT30 in December 2016 on FB. 40th Anniversary career retrospective.

The fact that it includes a graphic makes me think it is music related, but who knows.

Maybe a big 2020 tour that could be their last big World Tour a la Elton John... though not an official retirement. I doubt it though, seems like a bad way to start a show in Tokyo after you've been gone so long.

“I was explaining to people the other night, but I might've got it a bit wrong -- this is just the end of something for U2. And that's what we're playing these concerts -- and we're throwing a party for ourselves and you. It's no big deal, it's just -- we have to go away and...and dream it all up again."

Nah.

You guys are crazy. No way they announce any sort of bad news in the middle of a show.

The mysterious imagery suggests it will be something to do with new music. Maybe a new song that they proceed to play.

Last edited:
Its bizarre reading some of the theories on twitter. They win't going to announce retirement, mid-show with a new logo. Or tease an announcement for it to be about a live streamed show or DVD.

This must be new music right?

They released SOE two years ago, nearly to the day... Its not beyond the realms os possibility that they have recorded new stuff in relative secret...

Optimistically excited.

Its bizarre reading some of the theories on twitter. They win't going to announce retirement, mid-show with a new logo. Or tease an announcement for it to be about a live streamed show or DVD.

They released SOE two years ago, nearly to the day... Its not beyond the realms os possibility that they have recorded new stuff in relative secret...

Optimistically excited.
Yeah, got to be new music. Perhaps they're doing a Coldplay and we'll get something new very quickly?!

my guess is they're announcing some new charity thing.

This seems like the most realistic answer.

I’m still waiting for a theory on why they would make this announcement in Tokyo and not Mumbai. Maybe it’s something date-specific or city-specific?

Now just on Facebook.

My wildest theory: Songs of Ascent will drop at the end of the week.

Optimistically excited.

That's what I hope for. SOA is being worked on for ages . Good possibility they worked secretly on the songs to complete the trilogy. Ahimsa is a good sign to that.

If it was some sort of a retirement announcement then there wouldn’t be artwork for it .

Maybe it’s the pride Calvin Harris Remix :)

Now just on Facebook.

My wildest theory: Songs of Ascent will drop at the end of the week.

That's my wildest theory/hope too.

Just release some music, no need to tour, then they can go away and work on new stuff with zero pressure about being out of the public eye for a while.

Could be an announcement for a NEW bestof album, with new songs, like Ahimsa...

Lines have been set

EP release - 2 to 1
Songs of Ascent release - 8 to 1
New Tour for 2020 - 15 to 1
Announcement of retirement but combined with one last tour and possibly an EP - 50 to 1
Straight retirement - 100 to 1
They're changing their name to X2 to be hipper and cooler with the youngs - even money

Funnily enough I was thinking its about time for a Best Of for the next decade or so, but no way they announce that in this sort of a way.

Where are the nerds when you need them? If this was something relating to Apple we'd have people scraping URLs on websites looking for clues and analysing everything they've said over the last 6 months.

What was Dallas' exact quote about new music btw?

Commercial tie-in with Xerox photocopiers for the next tour?

An exciting collaboration with Madonna in her Madame X guise because that's what will really get the teenagers excited and make radio stations sit up and take notice?

An appearance on The X Factor?

A remix of Pride by X-Press 2, the British DJs?

Just a chance for them to highlight how good Larry's new haircut is?

The only thing we know for sure is that it could be something utterly brilliant and exciting, or something which will go down like a fart in a spacesuit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom