Announcement from stage Dec 4th 7am est - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2019, 07:55 AM   #101
War Child

Local Time: 08:12 PM
So they've announce internet radio

Like I said, 1993 called, they want their exclusive announcement back.

Which is all fine, but I still think they've totally misjudged how to announce something like this. The X could have been a giveaway, but it got me thinking of The Blackout visuals because of the style.

"Hey Siri, play U2". Sorted.

ascender_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:58 AM   #102
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:12 PM
Does anyone actually believe the band who hijacked an Apple keynote to release an album would announce a new album or retirement or other huge news with an 2 am email and a 10 pm Facebook post... which wasn't on any other social media?

So who's really to blame for over hyping this... the band? Or we dopey U2 but jobs?

Headache in a Suitcase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:00 AM   #103
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:12 PM
I’m actually in the audience for this product, since I sometimes rent cars for work travel and they have SiriusXM (though I wouldn’t pay for it myself).

As such, makes total sense that the email about the announcement came in the middle of the night in my time zone, and the announcement was at 6am in my time zone.
digitize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:09 AM   #104
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Does anyone actually believe the band who hijacked an Apple keynote to release an album would announce a new album or retirement or other huge news with an 2 am email and a 10 pm Facebook post... which wasn't on any other social media?

So who's really to blame for over hyping this... the band? Or we dopey U2 but jobs?

It’s 1pm in the afternoon here mate , perfect time for any big announcement :-)

It’s not all about American you know , erm hang on it is isn’t it I can’t even get this radio station in the uk :-)
rennowba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:10 AM   #105
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:12 PM
There was no need to send 3 emails about it if it was only for Sirius XM or Pandora listeners.
I mean, I don’t remember there being anything “big” when they formally announced Songs of Experience.

Someone’s got their priorities mixed up.
prbiker15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:20 AM   #106
Refugee

Local Time: 04:12 PM
So they finally figured out a way get played on the radio again.
DeVaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:27 AM   #107
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:12 AM
So neither are available in Australia. No wonder they waited until they were out of the country to announce it
dan_smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:55 AM   #108
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascender_RS View Post
So they've announce internet radio

Like I said, 1993 called, they want their exclusive announcement back.

Which is all fine, but I still think they've totally misjudged how to announce something like this. The X could have been a giveaway, but it got me thinking of The Blackout visuals because of the style.

"Hey Siri, play U2". Sorted.

This perfectly sums up this “announcement”.

This is the type of thing that could have been “announced” on a Facebook post. I mean, I personally can set my iPhone to shuffle, play Pandora or even YouTube and would have the same exact effect as this new “station”.

But at least they are getting their product out there and maybe some people who haven’t heard of them will get to hear their music.
CosmoKramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:27 AM   #109
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Wednesday at 9 pm Tokyo... Some news from the band
No Twitter post. No Instagram post. I don't even think they put it on the main page of their website but could be wrong.

"Some news."

Not BIG news. Not big announcement. Just "some news."

It's not as if they haven't gone live from the stage in one country for something going on in another before. They also gave a fairly high quality live stream of a song from the concert - which hey maybe fans might be interested in.

But nooooo... They're dicks because everyone here (myself included) overreacted to what in hindsight was a fairly tame, low key announcement about "some news" and thought it meant the band was going to commit Harakiri on stage during Ultraviolet.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:50 AM   #110
War Child

I don't think anybody is calling them dicks, they just seem to have misjudged how to handle this sort of announcement.

I don't think its an unreasonable leap for fans to assume there would be something bigger than this news when a band of their stature & profile announces a live webcast about "some news." They just don't seem to "get" how social media works these days. We're all just excited to hear anything which might be linked to new music, but it seemed strange to tease it in this way to users outside of the US.

I just found it all a bit strange really, but not going to hate on them as its kind of what I've come to expect if that makes sense?
ascender_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:10 AM   #111
Blue Crack Distributor

I think it's fairly unreasonable, in hindsight. Specifically because they didn't actually announce this on Twitter, which is the first place I went to look for it when i saw it here.

But whatevs.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:34 AM   #112
Refugee

Local Time: 12:12 PM
Dammit, when I was predicting things I forgot that this is the dumbest band of all time and they'd do something supremely disappointing
TinKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:01 AM   #113
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascender_RS View Post
I don't think anybody is calling them dicks, they just seem to have misjudged how to handle this sort of announcement.

I don't think its an unreasonable leap for fans to assume there would be something bigger than this news when a band of their stature & profile announces a live webcast about "some news." They just don't seem to "get" how social media works these days. We're all just excited to hear anything which might be linked to new music, but it seemed strange to tease it in this way to users outside of the US.

I just found it all a bit strange really, but not going to hate on them as its kind of what I've come to expect if that makes sense?

Is anyone here really “mad” at them? I haven’t read any posts calling them names, etc... but maybe I missed it(odd of that did happen and a clear overreaction).

Anyway, you’re spot on.....
CosmoKramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:02 PM   #114
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:12 PM
I'm kind of "meh" about the whole thing, in general. An announcement was made and they announced a radio station a short time later. Cool. Other than that, I don't really know if this requires too much of an over analysis here.
trevgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:43 AM   #115
45:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFox View Post
All that hype for nothing.
I don't know, it produced a series of posts wondering if the band was going to announce their retirement, which was worth it alone for me.
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:55 PM   #116
War Child

Judging from the statement, I think Larry has the proper amount of enthusiasm for this one.
The John Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 05:00 PM   #117
Refugee

Local Time: 09:12 PM
I'll risk getting flamed here, and just provide the devil's advocate....

I'm not as bothered at how this went down, compared to everyone else. Maybe it's cuz I see it this way:

Main argument of : why from a stage in Tokyo where they can't listen to it?
- I don't see it as being announced "to the Tokyo audience" per -say. I see it, as the intention was the satellite hook-up to Howard stern listeners. They've done a mid concert link-up many time before so think of the Howard Stern Who So Serious as no different than "to the secret policeman's ball" or the many others. They happened to do this from the Tokyo stage, but it could have been Brisbane, Auckland, Miami, etc, either way the link-up itself was to interrupt Howard Stern listeners. The Tokyo audience happened to be the ones to witness it, but if anything, I think Bono' s words remained vague, and didn't specific address the Tokyo audience in the house telling THEM to expect this radio channel. If he had said something like "we hope all of you listen to us 24/7 On u2Xradio", then that sounds like it was directed potentially to the venue's audience. But his vagueness, of not wanting to fully explain what it was to the audience (and instead let the Sirus adverts explain it and knowing Howard would be explaining it) makes sense to me.

Argument of: why send it to social media worldwide?
-besides the fact that it was probably a stipulation by bigger entities like Sirus and Live Nation, it seems ridiculous to think they should limit their advertising by region. When they announce an India concert, should they only advertise in India? No, cuz people might travel to India. Exactly like people might travel to North America, and could listen to U2Radio while they are there.(my last rental car there, came with it automatically enabled). I for one, was not bothered the mildest when, for instance, I was sent u2 emails about a one-time R+H screening at Dublin's Savoy theatre in Nov 2018. Sure, I was nowhere near there, but there was a chance I could have been travelling there, plus it felt good to be in the loop and know it was going on. Maybe I had wanted to communicate the news to someone else I knew in the region? Same with the Brandenburg bridge gig 2009, same with the Blackout video shoot, same with U2XRadio.

Argument of: why overhype it?
-they didn't. That was us. All they said was some news, and they delivered some news. They didnt say HUGE news, they didn't hint at band's future, they didn't hint at any new material. That was ALL us doing that. They were simply using their social media, the way we have been complaining about them not doing enough.

Many may disagree with me, but this how I honestly intruptted it right from the start and was shocked that so many were miffed by it. But decided to outline my way of thinking, just incase it helps anyone else reframe their perspective on this and come to peace with it
marik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:39 PM   #118
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:12 AM
I'm at peace with it.
Kieran McConville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:53 PM   #119
War Child

Local Time: 09:12 PM
If the channel is launched with any trial promos, they can use the chorus from Last Night On Earth.
tommycharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:26 PM   #120
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

You gotta give it away give it away give it away now

kabigon is offline   Reply With Quote