Am I the only one who listens to U2 all day, every day?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always, or almost always, listen to them in the morning when I'm driving to my job which is 40 km away from home, I started this custom listening to ATYCLB at a time I was a bit depressed with my job, songs like BD, Stuck helped me a lot. The rest of the day I try to listen to different kinds of music, different bands, but also jazz, classical, etc.; from time to time I listen to some loud U2 on Sunday on my hi-fi, that is the way I really would like to listen to music instead of the ipod.

:hmm: I don't really listen to them every day, because I don't actually actively listen to music every day. Some days I'm too busy doing other things that I can't do while listening to music (like working :|).

But whenever I do listen to music, I listen to U2. I guess what the OP is saying is that they spend the majority of their music-listening time playing U2, and I do too. Percentage-wise, I would say at least 85% of the time. I know some people say that's not good or not normal or whatever, but you know what...opinions are individual. It makes me happy, so I'm going to keep right on doing it. No other music makes me any where near as happy as U2's music does :heart:

And if it is that new-love glow that someone mentioned, well...that glow must go on for a reeeeally long time :wink:

Variety is the spice of life, so I can't listen to a band allthe time, per se. I know if it were me, I would easily get sick of listening to the same songs day in and day out. A combination of moderation and then going into kicks for my favorites keeps me sane, haha.

I feel ya. I haven't been able to stop listening to them since I saw them in concert last October. I am currently obsessed with I Will Follow. But I have gone through lulls where I didn't listen to the much...I will always love a variety of music but U2 will always be my :heart: band.

it's rare for me to listen to the same artist all day, much less every day. that's just me though. while i'm definitely the type who has to listen to one album all the way through once i start, now that i've gotten into more bands, i usually want to listen to something by another artist once i'm done with an album.

yep.

i've listened to two U2 albums in full this year, NLOTH once and tuf once.

i'd go fucking mental if that's all i had to listen to.

Not all day but every day with a few exceptions-only because I try to walk every day for exercise and I use my iPod w/U2 songs on it. Other than that I wouldn't.

I use my moms car when I drive and U2 NLONTH and Joshua Tree are my only CD's in there so whenever I drive I'm listening to them and while I'm on the computer I normally have my iTunes set to shuffle and 50% songs are U2 so yeah they pop up. If I'm in a U2 mood (which is now due to concert postponing or if a concert is coming up) then I listen to them a lot.

I used to listen to U2 for at least half an hour pretty much every day between 1987 and 2000. (I doubt there were that many people who listened to more U2 than I did) I don't do that anymore...I think that was enough...:) Now i listen to U2 maybe once a week. My lifestyle has changed and that's a big part of it, but the main reason is that I don't connect with their 21st Century output as much as what came previously. I still listen to u2 on average once or twice a week, listening to NLOTH minus SUC of course maybe once a fortnight.

I listen to U2 basically to and from work, depending if there is anything worthwhile to listen to on the radio. When I was much younger, I listened to them all the time ( I am surprised my cassettes did not get worn out then!!!)

i listen to various album versions, but mostly i'm listening to random live stuff.... the Galeen bootleg from 81 is the latest favorite... could'nt stop listening to that awesome milano 360 show for ages

When I was about 10, I promised the Beatles that I'd never buy anyone else's work. It caused me to miss out on some of the greatest music ever made. So I won't restrict myself to one artist again.
That said, I listen to U2 roughly an hour a day, with other artists maybe half that. U2 is #1 with me, but there are many other worthy bands and performers.
I can certainly understand the urge to only listen to U2, though. They're amazing!

When I was about 10, I promised the Beatles that I'd never buy anyone else's work. It caused me to miss out on some of the greatest music ever made. So I won't restrict myself to one artist again.
That said, I listen to U2 roughly an hour a day, with other artists maybe half that. U2 is #1 with me, but there are many other worthy bands and performers.
I can certainly understand the urge to only listen to U2, though. They're amazing!

And now the Beatles are crying :sad:

:laugh:

I'm in the Birdlovers corner, from around 2002-2005, U2 was about the only band I listened too. Literally.

Then came the giantic musicgasm of 2006.....

:hmm: I don't really listen to them every day, because I don't actually actively listen to music every day. Some days I'm too busy doing other things that I can't do while listening to music (like working :|).

But whenever I do listen to music, I listen to U2. I guess what the OP is saying is that they spend the majority of their music-listening time playing U2, and I do too. Percentage-wise, I would say at least 85% of the time. I know some people say that's not good or not normal or whatever, but you know what...opinions are individual. It makes me happy, so I'm going to keep right on doing it. No other music makes me any where near as happy as U2's music does :heart:

And if it is that new-love glow that someone mentioned, well...that glow must go on for a reeeeally long time :wink:

Well, this about describes where I am at!

Though for me, maybe its 75 or 80%.

In 2006-2008, it was probably 90%, so I've expanded out.

A lot of times, I'll just step back from U2 and take in a good, long block of Don Henley or go for a drive and put on E street radio on XM and listen to a live show!

I love, not just like, Bruce, AC/DC, The Killers(they're not U2, but they are the only U2 influenced band that gets what U2 is about, IMO), The Eagles, Don Henley solo, James Taylor, The Ramones, The Police and lately, I've been really getting into the Doors and Steve Winwood.(I know, somewhat eclectic, but not way out of line for a U2 fan). The only place I part company with most U2 fans in terms of other music is I never got into Radiohead or any of the other more alternative/indie rock bands. Don't know why, its not like I just love War because its pure classic rock or Joshua Tree because its somewhat Springsteen Americana sounding, I love all U2 eras including the out there stuff from 93-97.

I'll look up plenty of random songs on youtube that pop into my head or that I remember liking(come on, Escape by Enrique Iglesias was really, really catchy!!!) and I have actually gotten over my obsession with turning the car radio dial endlessly until I find a U2 song or crash. So I hear plenty of random stuff on the radio.

They stay constant as far as listening time compared to other artists goes, it just depends on how much overall music listening I have time for in a particular snapshot period of life.

I definitely go through phases with U2 eras. I feel like I have 3 master eras that determine where most of my U2 listening will go:

1.)War Tour: I'll get into that, then dig out Boy and October and have an early days phase for a few weeks.

2.)Joshua Tree: Spend about 2 weeks on repeat, album and b sides, then reach back to Conspiracy of Hope, Unforgettable Fire and ahead to Lovetown bootlegs. This phase is always good for about 4 months, no joke.

3.)Same with Zoo TV Sydney DVD, always triggers a big, long AB/Zooropa phase.

Not much of a rhyme or reason to Pop, I'll just get in a super Pop phase that usually includes Hold me....kill me and Holy Joe being blasted multiple times daily along with MOFO and LNOE from Mexico City! I've been known to throw in Please, Discotheque Vertigo tour and studio DYFL in here as well!

Elevation, Vertigo and 360 eras I feel like I just listen to randomly, though I will say.

2004... yeah, I was driving my father crazy listening to Elevation 17 times a day plus all their other albums. Then, graduallly I came to listen to so much different things that sometimes I spent weeks without hearing Bono's vocals.
However they'll always be the only band which has a special place in my heart and that I'll always come back to, no matter what else I'll be listening to at the time.

When I was first getting into U2 (4 years ago this summer) they, along with Madonna, who I also discovered at that time, were pretty much all I was listening to. Both are still my all-time favorites, but through U2, especially, and this site, I discovered so many amazing artists/bands that I probably would've never even explored otherwise. I listen to music all the time, but it runs the gamut. I haven't sat down and listened to a complete U2 album in a long time, but whenever I need a certain song(s), they're always on my iPod.

No.

But I listen to other stuff to.

But I would say on average I listen to 4-5 U2 songs per day.

Yeah, when I first got into U2 I listened to them obsessively, too. I do that with all my favorite bands, I think most, if not all, people do that no matter the band. Then I go on to check other stuff out and add to my favorites list.

But this...

However they'll always be the only band which has a special place in my heart and that I'll always come back to, no matter what else I'll be listening to at the time.

...is absolutely true. Well said :) (well, all my favorite bands hold a special place in my heart, but I get what you mean with that).

Everyone's free to listen to whatever music they want as often as they want, but I'm not one to limit my musical tastes. I've got my favorite artists and genres that I listen to most often, sure, but there's nothing wrong with branching out and seeing what else is out there. Keeps life interesting.

Angela

This post is interesting to me, because my musical taste is changing in a way I never would have imagined. My favorites have been U2 and British bands like Coldplay, Radiohead, Keane and Oasis. But for most of this year, I've been listening far more to Top 40 staples like Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Rihanna and Jay-Z. (I'm listening to "Halo" by Beyonce right now. Gorgeous song!) I've even been debating whether to buy Eminem's "Recovery" on iTunes, even though I couldn't listen to the last album all the way through because of its violent imagery. I can't understand how now I am so into the stuff played on urban stations like NYC's KTU when I've been primarily an alternative rock fan for years and years.

I do listen to the radio in my car, and when U2 comes on, I become deliriously happy and it reminds me of how much I really do love them.

I could sit and listen to a huge variety of live versions of Sunday, Bloody Sunday for an entire day. The power that Bono puts into those live versions is awesome, especially when he screams "NO MORE! SING! NO MORE!"... makes me wanna do a cover of it someday when I get a band together.

In my early 20s I was in a band, and we did a lot of decent/borderline good covers. But SBS NEVER, NEVER, EVER sounded good. We were middle class white kids from rural Ohio... somehow, it just didn't have the same bite.

Original topic: I go through phases where I am STRONGLY into U2. All I can listen to, and I want to listen to it all. I listen through bootleg recordings, albums, singles, b-sides, and even get joy out of listening to the Best-Of albums in order. When a new album is out, I'll play it to death for a couple of months. However, I'm very much in a non-U2 phase right now. Ever since the tour postponement, I've subconsciously just not been into U2 so much right now. Went to a Dave Matthews Band concert last week, so I've been on that kick a lot. The past few days, I've really been into IRS Years R.E.M. That's some good stuff.

Back
Top Bottom