Almost Addict Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought it was normal for the irish to be relatively drunk most of the time:shrug:

:wink:

All he's saying here that in the profession he's in he is tempted all the time, by drugs, alcohol, women and partying and to save him from that he attends church and prays and meditates everyday at 6 am. I don't think there is more to look into it.
He's a rare breed after all these years not to be an addict of any of those things :applaud:.

just out of curiosity, what drugs has bono admitted to using in the past? or what is bono's history with drugs, if any?

of course though, i agree the article is out of context....completely

I am pretty sure in U2 by U2 he mentions smoking marijuana on few occasions (in the past) but explaining that he just didn't like it.

Bono's drug of choice, is alcohol. He has spoken quite frequently of being drunk. Alcohol addiction is just as dangerous as any drug addiction.

That's true, but I think Bono doesn't drink as much as he used to, he has said so in several interviews. The quotes here are taken mostly from the last Rolling Stone cover story, where he said he prefers to get up early and working in the morning to getting drunk every night and crawling home in the early hours :wink:

In fact, I don't think he really drinks as much as other rockstars, because most of the time he has to stay focused and leave a good impression and he said himself that he cannot go on stage and perform if he's drunk.

Btw, I read the story in a German magazine today, too. It's interesting how some media are only taking possibly controversial quotes from recent interviews out of context and build sensational stories around them, like the "U2 to retire" crap that has been making the rounds recently.

That's true, but I think Bono doesn't drink as much as he used to, he has said so in several interviews. The quotes here are taken mostly from the last Rolling Stone cover story, where he said he prefers to get up early and working in the morning to getting drunk every night and crawling home in the early hours :wink:

In fact, I don't think he really drinks as much as other rockstars, because most of the time he has to stay focused and leave a good impression and he said himself that he cannot go on stage and perform if he's drunk.

I agree. He does seem to be living a healthier lifestyle these days. And I for one, am happy about this. I would like to see Bono live for a very long time. He has a great gift and much to contribute, to the world around him.

I am not knocking him for his younger party days, most of us have been there. I did the party scene, too. When I was young. And would stay out all hours of the night. But, as you get older and have children. You realize. You have to be there for them. I, just like Bono, get up early in the morning . Meditate, then exercise. A great beginning to a brand new day.

I think Bono is looking really good. Healthy and fit.

The quotes weren't taken out of context at all imo, they are a repeat of an excellent article in The Independant, written by Brian Hiatt. From reading it it sounds like he spent a good deal of time with the band in interviews and compiled it all:

Taking care of business - the U2 interview - News & Gossip, Entertainment - Independent.ie

And let's not start this 'Bono has used this but hasn't used that drug' bullshit argument again. He's probably tried alot of different stuff. Who cares? It's life, and whether he ever comes out and admits it or or not, knowing that he has or has not done coke, e, heroin, weed, pills, whatever...it doesn't change my opinion of him one little bit.

I agree. He does seem to be living a healthier lifestyle these days. And I for one, am happy about this. I would like to see Bono live for a very long time. He has a great gift and much to contribute, to the world around him.

I am not knocking him for his younger party days, most of us have been there. I did the party scene, too. When I was young. And would stay out all hours of the night. But, as you get older and have children. You realize. You have to be there for them. I, just like Bono, get up early in the morning . Meditate, then exercise. A great beginning to a brand new day.

I think Bono is looking really good. Healthy and fit.

Absolutely, I'm with you here. I still love the odd party night from time to time and I don't reject a drink, but the older I get the more I realise that alcohol doesn't do me much good and I hate waking up hungover, not being able to think straight. I like to get up early, I like to work in the morning, my head is fresh and clear in the morning, I'm creative in the early hours of the day and I'm really trying to make use of that. So I can understand Bono. With a certain age, rockstar or not, your priorities are just changing, and I think you have to know the "other life" as well at some point, it's just part of life experience. And I'm sure Bono doesn't mind having some fun now and then :wink:

The quotes weren't taken out of context at all imo, they are a repeat of an excellent article in The Independant, written by Brian Hiatt. From reading it it sounds like he spent a good deal of time with the band in interviews and compiled it all:

Taking care of business - the U2 interview - News & Gossip, Entertainment - Independent.ie

That's basically a repeat of the Rolling Stone interview from a few weeks ago. Great read :up:

From memory, in a 1988 interview he admitted to experimenting, in an interview with trip-hop artist Tricky he tells a plausible anecdote of shrooming with Bono (I have no idea when this was), and also just look what the fuck he wore in 1994, what the hell is up with that shit.
That '88 interview was an interesting read. Can you recall what magazine the Tricky interview appeared in? I'd like to check it out.

Keeping company with Tricky and Howie B? Yeah, I'm sure he didn't get the munchies on those nights...

Absolutely, I'm with you here. I still love the odd party night from time to time and I don't reject a drink, but the older I get the more I realise that alcohol doesn't do me much good and I hate waking up hungover, not being able to think straight. I like to get up early, I like to work in the morning, my head is fresh and clear in the morning, I'm creative in the early hours of the day and I'm really trying to make use of that. So I can understand Bono. With a certain age, rockstar or not, your priorities are just changing, and I think you have to know the "other life" as well at some point, it's just part of life experience. And I'm sure Bono doesn't mind having some fun now and then :wink:

That's basically a repeat of the Rolling Stone interview from a few weeks ago. Great read :up:

A repeat, or a reprint?

For sure. The '88 interview and Tricky interview are two completely different articles. I probably worded that wrong.

I'm guessing the Tricky thing happened around '95 or '96.

Ok, gotcha...

I'm suprised he admitted that back in 88, they were so guarded back then, even more so then now.

Almost Addict Bono

Today 06:00

Bono is "an inch away" from being a drug addict.

The U2 frontman goes to church to tame his "wild streak" and stop him giving in to his darker desires.

He said: "I've been surrounded a lot in my personal life by addiction - in the last few years, in particular. I know a lot of people - not least the bass player in the band - who have had to deal with their demons in courageous ways.

an inch away from being a drug addict.

The U2 frontman goes to church to tame his wild streak and stop him giving in to his darker desires.

He said:

"And maybe there's a part of me that thinks, 'Wow, I'm just an inch away'. There's no doubt about the fact that I have a wild streak and I'd be very capable of setting fire to myself. So, you know, I don't go to church for the view."

U2's bass player Adam Clayton battled alcohol problems in the mid 90s and was once so hung-over he couldn't play a show.

To stay on top of temptation, Bono gets up at 6am - the time he used to get home from partying - to pray and contemplate his life.

The 48-year-old singer told the Irish Independent newspaper: "My meditative life feeds my soul and it's a wonderful thing for me to have time to reflect upon things and spend some time to myself.

"I want to squeeze every drop out of the day. But it's also the tyranny of good ideas, because if you spot one, or if you have one, then you think you have to follow through on it. And that might be a psychosis. I may have to get that fixed."
:hmm:
I guess this is about he is sex addict.:shifty:

Can you recall what magazine the Tricky interview appeared in? I'd like to check it out.

It was in Hot Press in 2001. I think you have to be a member (I am) to access their archive, but here's a link anyway, and here's the actual quote:

Hot Press: Are there any celebrity musicians you do get along with?

Tricky: Actually, I get on with Bono real well. He’s one of the funniest people I’ve ever met. He’s nothing like what I first expected. For one of the biggest rock stars in the world, he’s so not a celebrity. He’s almost like a comedian celebrity. I’ve never seen anyone like him. I took mushrooms with him in Jamaica and I was just rolling on the floor, man. There aren’t many people I’d just listen to telling stories, but when I’m with him, I can sit down and listen to him for two or three hours and just not say anything. You know, he can do impressions of people and shit. He cracks me up. I just like Bono’s personality, full stop. What I like about him is that he doesn’t hate anything. Like me, I hate everything. His attitude is to be cool with everybody. I sometimes wish I could be more like that.

Blowing back to front

Trying and experimenting drugs is not that bad as long as you are in a positive mood. If you do drug because you're depressed, you're almost dead...

Bono likes to have a few drinks, party and enjoy life, I'm the same and will never get addicted to anything bad as long as my life doesn't fall apart for whatever reason.

A repeat, or a reprint?

I guess you can call it a reprint :)

Bono trying stuff, experimenting with mushrooms? Give me a break. I wouldn't think that a rock star would EVER even consider doing something like that. I'm really disappointed :tsk:

:wink:

I think I would be more disturbed if I found out he hadn't done that at all.

Back
Top Bottom