All That You Can't Dismantle of An Innocent Horizon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
01 - Breathe
02 - Magnificent
03 - City of Blinding Lights
04 - Vertigo
05 - Invisible
06 - California
07 - Iris
08 - Kite
09 - Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own
10 - When I Look at the World
11 - Walk On

What The Best Of 2000-? Would Look Like At This Point:

- Elevation
- Walk On
- In A Little While (not 100% likely)
- Vertigo
- Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
- City of Blinding Lights
- Magnificent (not 100% likely)
- Moment of Surrender
- Ordinary Love
- Invisible
- Every Breaking Wave

Other Strong Possibilities:

- All Because Of You
- Window In The Skies
- Get On Your Boots
- The Miracle

Already On The Best Of 1990-2000:

- Beautiful Day
- Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of

Because because because we can we must stand up for our love

01 - Mercy
02 - Mercy
03 - Mercy
04 - Mercy
05 - Mercy
06 - Mercy
07 - Mercy
08 - Mercy
09 - Mercy
10 - Mercy
11 - Mercy
bonus hidden track - Stand Up Comedy (Mercy Mix)

If you stick Mercy in the middle of that track list between Mercy and Mercy and you might be on to something.

Last edited:
One of my Top 3 most-hated U2 decisions was including ATYCLB stuff on the second Best Of. Those songs had nothing to do with what that era represented. The cut-off point should have been after the M$H tracks.

One of my Top 3 most-hated U2 decisions was including ATYCLB stuff on the second Best Of. Those songs had nothing to do with what that era represented. The cut-off point should have been after the M$H tracks.

yes but of course, these compilations are commercial decisions, not artistic ones. they are meant primarily for those who maybe have 1 or 2 albums... then they get the likes of us with the extra bonus tracks(s).. the bastards.

M$H songs were recorded as part of the ATYCLB sessions and released in the same year so it wouldn't have made sense to include TGBHF but not Beautiful Day. They shouldn't have kept up with the decade theme. The first one made sense because of the growth of the band, but for the 90s they should have come up with a different title...and different fucking artwork! I don't care that the buffalos were the One cover, nothing is less 90s U2 than b&w and grey art. But they were trying to polish that decade into the mush of 00s U2.

Laz, what are your other two most hated U2 blunders? SOI release and chopping of Mercy?

SOI's release wasn't well considered but it doesn't bother me personally. My #2 is the disrespect shown to Danger Mouse's long and hard work by bringing in those hitmaker producers to compromise what he had already done. We may never know what they sounded like before tinkering, but judging by the songs that weren't tampered with, there's no doubt in my mind they were better.

Mercy getting booted and subsequently reworked is def #1.

OH GOD, i am so with you on this. When i saw the tracklisting, I was pissed. My first thought was... What the hell is gonna fill up the next best of?!?
And like you said, it was more about the feel of it. The 90's was it's own animal and can easily stand on its own.

The even weirder part is that they wanted to hold on to "Walk On" and "Elevation" for later...as if they were worried that their future work would be so weak that it would require those songs to help out the compilation. Hell, one of the band members even mentioned this in an interview with Interference years back if you care to dig it up (pre-HTDAAB, I believe). Like, either go all-in and include all the key tracks from ATYCLB or just keep the collection focused on the 90s.

The other really dumb thing about including "Beautiful Day" and "Stuck" is that practically anybody interested in U2 at the time had already purchased a copy of All That You Can't Leave Behind, so it's not like they really helped boost the sales of that compilation whatsoever. Might have even dampened it in some people's eyes as the casual audience might have been more inclined to purchase a release with even less material that they didn't previously own. And long term, the inclusion of those two songs wasn't much of a boost because they went and cannibalized the sales of The Best Ofs by introducing U218Singles into the marketplace.

I think it was actually dumber to have two tracks from 2002 included on the compilation. And then to have those, but not include "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" or "Walk On" or "Elevation" makes it all really confusing...and then they 00s-ed a bunch of 90s songs with those Mike Hedges mixes...

And aside from ignoring Pop on future tours, the U2 that would come after that compilation's release would be much more willing to embrace the 90s. The Fly becomes a regular concert staple while the 360 Tour ends up finishing with a huge chunk of Achtung Baby. Meanwhile, a bunch of Zooropa/Passengers tracks make live appearance, many becoming tour staples.

The Best of 1990-2000 was basically released when U2 was at their most scared to be adventurous, although ironically, when they were probably still not too concerned about having a hit. Now they're willing to be plenty adventurous, but then want to trim off the rough edges in order to have hits, giving us material that satisfies very few. Say what you will about All That You Can't Leave Behind, but it's easily their most organic release of the century. A pop record from four guys who could give a fuck. But then its overwhelming success blinded everything.

Last edited:
Huh? They were in damage control trying to recover from Pop and "reapplying for the job".

Maybe it's the most cohesive of the 2000- albums, but it's definitely not casually made with no ulterior motive.

I'd argue that The Bomb was more organic because of ATYCLB's success, even if they didn't like what they got with Chris Thomas.

In terms of trying to become a big act again, sure. They did this by growing on the touring circuit and doing a lot of promotion. But the album itself wasn't really an attempt to try and make hits.

Bomb was the first record that didn't really break any new ground for them and merely felt like a lot of the old tricks being used from throughout their career.

Beautiful Day was absolutely an attempt to make a hit. Having stuck be a poppy song that could be interpreted as being about a relationship rather than the true subject matter? Yea. Hits.

Elevation?

All That You Can't Leave Behind is a great album that doesn't deserve the heat it gets around these parts, but it was absolutely about making hits. They weren't really shy about admitting as such, too.

Yeah. I agree with BMP that The Bomb didn't have anything new on it, but I don't consider ATYCLB to be innovative outside of Eno's suggestion to write more and record less. Which doesn't play to the band's strengths. The songs are a little too entombed and lack interesting directions. The lack of intensity doesn't help.

This would be my album. Think all the 00's albums are 11 tracks longed so I'll do 11 tracks

1 Vertigo
2 Every Breaking Wave
3 Beautiful Day
4 Elevation
5 Stuck in a Moment
6 Raised by Wolves
7 Electrical Storm
8 Moment of Surrender
9 City of Blinding Lights
10 Sometimes you cant make it on your own
11 Walk On

Beautiful album and song selection. I'll post one soon and it will be very similar with maybe only swapping two of the above(I may reorder too).

I would listen to this mix for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It's a damn clever song from a songwriting perspective, but it just doesn't hit people on an emotional level. It's possibly better than any track they've done post-NLOTH though.

Only chronological order atm, but these might be the songs I come back to most frequently:

Stateless
Beautiful Day
Stuck in a Moment
Kite
In a Little While
City of Blinding Lights
One Step Closer
No Line on the Horizon
Moment of Surrender
Fez
Every Breaking Wave
Sleep Like a Baby Tonight