All Remastered - Limited Editions Discussion HERE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
for the first time i'm hearing faint backing vocals in seconds, it sounds like someone saying the words during the verses. neat.

Look What I Got Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 7/21/08

0721081459.jpg

Looking good, looking good! :up:

I started listening to the box sets yesterday, starting with War. I must say I'm not so fond of the remixes, but I was curious to hear No Angels. The song sounds definitly like recorded recently, also Bono's vocals are new, I just with they'd taken their time to finish the song because it sounds more or less like an incomplete demo. The album itself sounds great in remastered quality. Can't wait to hear the other two albums and bonus discs, I just have so little time at the moment.

I went to Best Buy last night and all they had was War, and plenty of them, but no Boy or October - I also think that they never had any because War was so plentiful, and there was a display card for War and not the others. I then stopped into Virgin Megastore - they had all 3, but for $27.99 each, which was more than the Amazon set. I was prepared to cancel the Amazon order if the stores had good deals on all three, but they didn't so I just decided to wait for the Amazon order to go through, I can wait since it's not really new stuff! :)

Here's a question I haven't seen asked: Is the Under a Blood Red Sky remaster going to have the "I need the crowd" part on Electric Co....:hmm: I mean that was always a pretty cool moment live, and then it got chopped out of the album and kinda killed some of the excitement of that song.

I hope they got all the proper licensing for it this time...:pray:

Hey guys, if I can afford only one of them for now, which deluxe version would you recommend and why?

Great question, as I faced the exact same dilemma. As a study break/reward I walked to the record shop today with the plan of figuring it out when I got there. My original plan was to get them in order, but somehow I ended up leaving with October. That album really gets to me. Plus the live tracks are really knock-out quality and energy and it has some of my fav bsides (A Celebration, J. Swallo, Party Girl) and the Tomorrow remix which I had never heard.

October is also the absolute antithesis of modern (2000s) U2. Instead of lots of studio labor, overcooked production, and altogether too much thinking...we get super rushed, spontaneous, heartfelt, desperate, driven music.

I've only listened to a few tracks so far, but the re-mastering has blown me away..

Ten times more than the Joshua Tree re-master.

Treasure is just awesome

Zoots, I'd also go with either Boy or October first. The bonus discs are great for both of those.

Here's a question I haven't seen asked: Is the Under a Blood Red Sky remaster going to have the "I need the crowd" part on Electric Co....:hmm: I mean that was always a pretty cool moment live, and then it got chopped out of the album and kinda killed some of the excitement of that song.

I hope they got all the proper licensing for it this time...:pray:
i was wondering the same thing a while back. i really hope they did get licensing this time, because it'd be a bummer to remaster it only to have that near-silence again on the cd :grumpy:

i mean, i have the boot which has the snippet, but it's not the same :depressed:

i was wondering the same thing a while back. i really hope they did get licensing this time, because it'd be a bummer to remaster it only to have that near-silence again on the cd :grumpy:

i mean, i have the boot which has the snippet, but it's not the same :depressed:

I bought it in March of '84 on cassette and my sister has it on vinyl, so I was very disappointed when I picked it up on CD in the early 90's to discover it had been cut out due to copyright violation.

I ended up picking up an Australian copy of UABRSfrom 1984 with the snippet intact...:applaud:...but I hope they get it right for the remaster...:yes:

Cool. The problem is I have always felt War was the one that needed remastering the most! But War's bonus disc doesn't look great. :slant:

Yeah, outside of Angels Too Tied to the Ground and the Ferry Corsten remixes, the rest is stuff most of us fanatics have had for ages.

The remastering does sound nice on the few tracks from the album I've listened to though.

I think they will have the snippet. they've been paying for every snippet of all the recent live releases, so I dont see why they'd leave it off.

Anyone else crave the old days? I mean, we have just recieved 3 fully remastered double albums for a 3 year period, and we've waited 4 years since the last album!

Pitchfork loves new, marginally-known bands...which U2 were in the US in the early 80s. So I guess that makes sense.

They certainly have hated their recent albums. I think they gave JT remastered a good score too though.

Pitchfork universally loves the first five albums. We know that much. Some of the U2 reviews praised Achtung Baby & Zooropa as well. They just hate POP/ATYCLB/HTDAAB which isn't an uncommon opinion...

Yep. That's not even a bad review. A 6-7 is a good album by their standards. 7-8 is pretty good. 8+ is "you've got to hear this shit!"

I think the average Pfork reviewer would have given it a lower rating. For example, it only finished in one of their Top 50 lists (and near the bottom of that one).

Boy: Deluxe Edition - 8.3
October: Deluxe Edition - 7.1
War: Deluxe Edition - 8.9
Joshua Tree: Super Deluxe Edition - 8.9
The Best Of 1980-1990 - 8.7

The Best Of 1990-2000 - 5.6
All That You Can't Leave Behind - 5.0
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb - 6.9
18Singles - 7.0

Pretty obvious where the dividing line is for them...

Back
Top Bottom