Album that Created your Fandom!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boy was my intro, October resonated with me like no other music ever had and by War I was fully hooked. The Unforgettable Fire showed me that they were not going to be pigeonholed into simple protest music and really got me in love with their soundscape approach rounded out of course by Lanois and Eno. The Joshua Tree remains my number one U2 album as it hit me right when I was striking out on my own in life and independence. I saw the hype surrounding Acthung Baby as well deserved on a musical level, but felt that really the rest of the world was just catching up with what I already knew: that they were the best band in the world. But, as Zooropa surfaced and on into Pop, I had been listening to way different music and so these two albums barely meant much to me when they first came out (more so with Pop), however I began to appreciate Pop about a year or so later. With the release of ATYCLB, I came full circle and reinstated my super fan outlook, never to look back lol.

Sent from my ass crack

I was vaguely aware of them back in 1985-86. I watched some of Live Aid when I was 9, and I may have seen Bono on stage then. I certainly saw 'The Unforgettable Fire' video a few times, as it made enough of an impression on me circa 1985 that I remembered it. But I didn't really know/care who they were until 1987-88, circa The Joshua Tree, which I didn't like that much (I was still too young). My best friend had most of their albums on CD circa the late 80s and I heard stuff all the time (saw the Rattle & Hum film, etc.), but I still wasn't particularly a fan. Frankly, their cowboy hats were a major turn-off because I grew up in a Canadian cowboy town where you got beat-up for not listening to anything but country music.

In this period (when I was 11-15), I listened mostly to classic rock bands from the '60s and dodgy New Jack Swing pop/soul singers.

Around 1991, I suddenly became obsessed with my best friend's War and Unforgettable Fire CDs. From there, I went back to Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum (which I'd had for years but rarely listened to) and then I got on board with Achtung Baby eventually, too.

So, as you see, there really was no one album that made me a fan.

I lost interest in U2 completely during 1995, and I didn't listen to them again until about 2001. For the next five years or so I was back on board, but the group's incessant need to sell themselves to the lowest common denominator and Bono's endlessly embarrassing sermons wore on me, and I must say I've rarely listened to them since 2006.

Back
Top Bottom