Album rating in a nice way.. NLOTH Added

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArthDent

The Fly
Hi,

I want to share a program I have made, U2rate, with you fellow fans. :wave:

It is located here: U2rate - Main Page

This program allows you to rate and keep track of every song on all major 11 U2 albums. You can also compare the albums against each other with scores afterwards. You can rate every song from 1-10 which gives each album an average score, that is comparable. If you ever wondered what album you liked the most, now you can find out. And it's easy.

This is in no way a professional program but it works fine. I did it to see how far my hobby programming skills could take me, as well as I wanted a tool like this for rating U2 songs properly. Also me and other fans have used pen and paper for this task way to long

Enjoy!

This is freeware not to be sold or altered.
Comments are welcome.

This is a pretty snazzy program. However:

topalbums.jpg

WHAT?! Get out of there Bomb

Hehe yes. It may surprise you what results you get. What's nice is that you can go back after listening and adjust individual scores for each song, so it may always reflect your current feel of the albums.

Glad you liked it. :)

I voted for the songs as they are on the album, not the live versions. Boy would have got better points if we had voeted in live versions.
The only one on the list that is on a strangw place is R&H.
namnlsnm8.jpg

I decided to remove the "duplicate" tracks on Rattle and Hum. Several songs there are on previous albums and that is a bit strange, and wrong to rate in my opinion. Only original Rattle and Hum tracks are ratable. In a way that is the real R&H. Cool idea to post screens of your ratings.. :up:

u2raterm5.png

Follows my album ranking exactly. I have Joshua Tree just ahead of All That You Can't Leave Behind. I also rank War above October (the program put October ahead for chronological reasons, I assume).

Oh, and Rattle & Hum is worse than that score. The fact that it's so bloated with all of the live tracks often ranks it below Pop in my books. But if we're just rating it on the merits of the ten studio tracks, then it's their second worst rather than the bottom of the hole.

Here's mine... I don't know how to screencap this damn thing, so I'll just type it out...

The Joshua Tree - 8.45
Achtung Baby - 8.33
Zooropa - 8.00
All That You Can't Leave Behind - 7.73
War - 7.60
Rattle & Hum - 7.56
POP - 7.50
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb - 7.27
The Unforgettable Fire - 7.20
Boy - 7.18
October - 6.64

It's kinda close, I suppose... However, this ranking system is really not conducive to how one perceives the album as a whole. Personally, "Achtung Baby" will always be #1 - it's just an incredible, cohesive work. Also, swap "Rattle & Hum" with "Boy" and put "The Unforgettable Fire" ahead of "HTDAAB." Put "ATYCLB" ahead of "Zooropa," too, for good measure. My ACTUAL ranking system would look something like this...

1) Achtung Baby
2) The Joshua Tree
3) All That You Can't Leave Behind
4) Zooropa
5) War
6) Boy
7) POP
8) The Unforgettable Fire
9) Rattle & Hum
10) How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
11) October

u2raterm5.png

Follows my album ranking exactly. I have Joshua Tree just ahead of All That You Can't Leave Behind. I also rank War above October (the program put October ahead for chronological reasons, I assume).

Oh, and Rattle & Hum is worse than that score. The fact that it's so bloated with all of the live tracks often ranks it below Pop in my books. But if we're just rating it on the merits of the ten studio tracks, then it's their second worst rather than the bottom of the hole.

Yeah, It is hard to do other than judge the albums based on their respective studio tracks. That would be some extra charisma rating that add some total points to an album or something. Don't think that is the right way to go. I went for a pure track by track comparison and that is what shows..

To post a screen I think you press the "prt sc" (print screen) button which copies your curent screen into memory. You may then paste it from memory into a picture prog, then save it, and add it to the post.

Thanks for the feedback people. Appreciate it

ok.....................bizzarre, but nice program.................... :wink:

mine is this:

10.00 The Joshua Tree
9.75 Achtung Baby
9.67 Rattle And Hum
9.20 Unforgettable Fire
9.18 Boy
9.09 How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
9.00 October
8.92 Pop
8.64 All That You Can't Leave Behind
8.60 War

To post a screen I think you press the "prt sc" (print screen) button which copies your curent screen into memory. You may then paste it from memory into a picture prog, then save it, and add it to the post.

Yep, that's all you have to do, folks. Print screen, paste into Paint, save it. Then, go to ImageShack.us, upload the image, get the direct URL to the full image (not the thumbnail) and then post it here. It takes two minutes at most, probably less. Also, I recommend that you don't have this program taking up your entire screen. For example, I didn't have the window maximized, it took up about half my screen. If you keep it smaller, it won't look fuzzy when you post it in here.

I would love to see this program expanded. A cumulative song-rating list would be absolutely excellent. I'd also like to see a way to then move songs above one another (in order to break ties)...this sort of list would also allow for the b-sides & rarities to be included. Frankly, if there was a new release that allowed for songs list and re-ordering of anything that's tied, this would be used by A LOT of people at this forum.

What this highlighted for me is that U2 isn't very productive.

C'mon, 11 albums in 30+ years ??

Cool program, gotta say I was surprised by no 3,4,5! I imagined Pop there, but yea, I only love the first half of it so :hmm: guess it figures.. odd how R&H is so high tho, I barely listen to it at all..
ratingvt9.png

Oh and Boy >> War only because of Red Light. :grumpy: minor bad part about your program, I want to rate Red Light 0. I can't do that.

Here's mine:

1. Achtung Baby - 9.58
2. The Joshua Tree - 8.09
3. Zooropa - 7.9
4. Pop - 7.67
5. All That You Can't Leave Behind - 7.45
6. How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb - 7.27
7. Rattle & Hum - 6.67
8. Boy - 6.64
9. The Unforgettable Fire - 6.6
10. War - 6.10
11. October - 5.36

This list is interesting. Personally, I know that I enjoy Boy, War, and The Unforgettable fire much more than Rattle and Hum. The top 5 are interesting too, because I certainly feel like I like Pop more than Zooropa. Though Zooropa is a gem. Hmmm. Interesting.

Thanks for all the comments and input.

I may update this program after the release of the new album.

Also I should post my album rating here as you guys have. Good idea!

:up:

whatov8.jpg

Huh, I like War and Zooropa tons more than that.

Also, I experimented by saving it as a jpeg as many times as possible before it sort of stopped getting distorted. A good investment of time.

You really like the earlier albums better I see :)

Fun to see how which albums you think you like best, and which you "actually like" the best crash. Guess the difference is the "total feel" of each album which is kind of unratable..

I'll put my ratings up sometime this weekend. :hyper:

I was surprised at R&H coming out on top for myself, because as a whole including all the songs on the album I would not rank it there, but I guess it's because of the songs not counted (which I agree with your reasons for not including them), I just never realized how highly I regard all the rest of the songs that made up the new material on that album. And I consider October one of my favorite albums, so seeing it at the bottom of the list is just weird!

Anyone still using this? Does it have any "replay value" :)

What I find funny is to do a rating once in a while and see if my preferences have changed over time.

I am not sure if I will get to make an update including NLOTH into the program.
Not sure how many actually use this..

I do not have the skills to make an online version of it but that would be rather cool.
My skills are limited to Visual Basic which is very old now :doh:

Anyway if you forgot it is still available on stighelge.com/u2rate

I did this a few days ago, and the results were basically what I expected. ATYCLB in first, with Pop close behind in second.

The bottom six albums were the six albums from the 80s. :reject:

My results:

1. The Unforgettable Fire 8.20
2. The Joshua Tree 8.09
3. Achtung Baby 7.92
4. Pop 6.33
5. Boy 6.09
6. Zooropa 5.90
7. War 5.70
8. October 5.45
9. Rattle and hum 5.33
10. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb 5.09
11. All That You Can't Leave Behind 4.64

Pretty accurate for me I think! Especially the top three.

Cool program!

Results:

9.83 Achtung Baby
9.82 The Joshua Tree
8.33 Pop
8.27 All that you can't leave behind
8.11 Rattle and Hum
8.09 How to dismantle an atomic bomb
7.80 Zooropa
7.20 War
6.82 Boy
6.80 The Unforgettable Fire
6.18 October

Interesting though my top 2 were more predictable. :hmm:

I liked the starting sound clip...one of my fav quotes "theres a lot of music you can play when you have a guy that looks like Edge in your band" :)

Back
Top Bottom