'Ahk-toong Bay-bi' Covered: Q magazine CD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll ask one more time...see if anyone can offer a reason.

Why can't U2 perform 'Acrobat' live, saying it's too difficult to do live...when the Glasvegas version was recorded live and is musically similar to the U2 version.

Any thoughts?

Because it's in a fast 12/8 meter, and they're not good enough technical musicians to pull it off?

Probably because it's in 3/4 time and Larry and Adam just aren't good enough to play it well enough w/o rehearsing the absolute shit out of it (see: the Streets intro and how it almost forced Eno to toss it during recording, after they couldn't play it right). That (= their quite-average rhythm section) along with Mr. Often Forgets His Own Lyrics, is a big reason they don't play setlists from a huge selection of songs.

It's not a tough song to play, at all.
Basic 4-chord progression, only two minor changes.

But Edge doesn't play a basic chord version of Acrobat, he plays something...a little odd. And another reason is that Edge probably couldn't remember how to play it. Of course, if he wanted to, he could re-learn it quite easily because it's not that difficult to figure out.

A last note on Adam and Larry...3/4 is the 2nd easiest to play for Western musicians, especially if the bass is all the same note (8th or 16th) and that is basically what Acrobat is (if you don't follow, think: timing of the notes played, all fast - all at the same pace, so you play 3/4 counting in your head -for instance, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 easy. It's tougher when you are playing a mix of different notes of different durations because it becomes tougher to count and hold the note, rather than play it as you count. Did that make sense?) :wink:

Window in the Skies is all in 3/4, I believe and hasn't been performed either. Has it?

Trip Through might be as well...? In any event, it's a plausible reason.

Acrobat is in 12/8.

Love is Blindness is in 6/8, as is Trip Through Your Wires.

The longer phrasing of 12 vs. 6, and the relatively faster tempo of Acrobat vs. LIB and TTYW would make it a real bitch to play live. Acrobat was a departure for them purely from a music theory standpoint, and the song probably only came together because of studio magic and the ability to try over and over and over again until each individual part is right. I love U2 to death, and Adam is one of the main reasons I ever picked up a bass in the first place, but I just don't feel they're technically proficient enough to pull off a relatively complicated song like Acrobat live.

Not to diss, but you realize that this statement

Adam is one of the main reasons I ever picked up a bass in the first place

slammed up against this one

I just don't feel they're technically proficient enough to pull off a relatively complicated song like Acrobat live.

..I mean, it doesn't really bode well for having people buy into this theory, imo.

Just curious how many drummers have you played with? Because I've yet to meet a drummer that can't pick up Acrobat...even a self-taught relatively new drummer with very little experience I know picked it up and got himself good enough on it in short time to do it live...and yet you're saying Larry, an experienced pro drummer of, what, 30 years, isn't technically proficient enough? It's not THAT hard a song to learn.

Sorry, this theory that people keep bringing up holds no water imo.

Acrobat is in 12/8.

Love is Blindness is in 6/8, as is Trip Through Your Wires.

The longer phrasing of 12 vs. 6, and the relatively faster tempo of Acrobat vs. LIB and TTYW would make it a real bitch to play live. Acrobat was a departure for them purely from a music theory standpoint, and the song probably only came together because of studio magic and the ability to try over and over and over again until each individual part is right. I love U2 to death, and Adam is one of the main reasons I ever picked up a bass in the first place, but I just don't feel they're technically proficient enough to pull off a relatively complicated song like Acrobat live.

Acrobat is either 3/4 or 6/8 depending on how you want to count (quarter notes or eighth notes). It's probably more accurately said to be 6/8, you can count the drum 'loop' for yourself in eighth notes (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6). But I agree with everything else you said.

edge said in an interview that it was 6/8 time. the one with dave stewert and bono. its on the tuber somewhere.

So... anyone want to clue us in as to what the interview with U2 from this issue says?

Those of us in PLEBA have known for a week. The whole interview is scanned over there. :wink:

See, we don't ONLY look at pics!:shifty:

Here's far more likely and logical reasons why they don't play it (logical to them, I don't necessarily agree):

- They feel they already play too much material off of Acthung Baby anyways and don't want to overload a 2000s set with it

- The subject matter is too personal, too intense, and it's not something one or more band members want to go thru night in night out. See: One Tree Hill..much as it's a fan favorite and a brilliant track and much as I'm sure they know this, they are only playing this on rare occasion in memory of Carroll.

- They just don't particularly like the song. (hey, even that holds more water than 'Larry and Adam aren't talented enough to play 3/4 time songs very well')

- Totally irrelevant. They didn't even play it on ZooTv and have never played it since. It's not like it is even in the 'arsenal' to begin with. It is the equivalent of no more than a b-side at this point, in terms of fishing it out for a concert. The only question is, why is that?

- "Too personal"...did you type this excuse with a straight face? Bono sang a song that he wrote for the funeral of his father EVERY NIGHT on Vertigo.

- "Acrobat is one of my favorite U2 songs" - Bono. U2 by U2 pg. 228.

And FYI,
Larry on Streets (U2 by U2 page 185):
"It took so long to get that song right it was difficult for us to make any sense of it".
Adam (same page)
"The demo always sounded great but we could never play it as a song. At the time it seemed almost like a foreign language, whereas now we understand how it works. I suppose it was something completely new for us, it was complex with frequent chord changes and time shifts."

"Complex", for them = going from 3/4 to 4/4. Because that's all it is.
Besides that, "frequent chord changes"...yeah, right.
These two guys are pretty milquetoast, I'm not saying they can't play 3/4 clearly they can and I acknowledged as much.

Inner El Guapo said:
- Totally irrelevant. They didn't even play it on ZooTv and have never played it since. It's not like it is even in the 'arsenal' to begin with. It is the equivalent of no more than a b-side at this point, in terms of fishing it out for a concert. The only question is, why is that?

- "Too personal"...did you type this excuse with a straight face? Bono sang a song that he wrote for the funeral of his father EVERY NIGHT on Vertigo.

- "Acrobat is one of my favorite U2 songs" - Bono. U2 by U2 pg. 228.

I suppose in your world U2 = Bono = U2, right?

Because the second you come to terms with the fact that that isnt the case, about 99% of your "case" goes right out the window.

There is no merit to saying that U2s rhythm section isn't technically proficient enough to tackle Acrobat.

Acrobat is not hard to play live. Are we sure U2 can't play it live, or is it more of a case that they don't want to?

The 3/4 (or 6/8) theory I disagree with too, because they have no problems laying Breathe.

Would love to hear acrobat live. WGRYWH should be played more often too.

EDIT: "Acrobat has frequent chord changes"????? What the hell, no it doesn't!

I think 67,000 out of 70,000 in a stadium would mind.

That's interference for you...let's drop one of our biggest hits/two of our best live songs in favour of a lesser known song that didn't even work on Zoo TV.

U2girl said:
That's interference for you...let's drop one of our biggest hits/two of our best live songs in favour of a lesser known song that didn't even work on Zoo TV.

We are the one percent!!

Jarvio said:
Acrobat is not hard to play live. Are we sure U2 can't play it live, or is it more of a case that they don't want to?

The 3/4 (or 6/8) theory I disagree with too, because they have no problems laying Breathe.
!

I find Breathe to be more complex..only slightly, granted, but it does have more distinct changes.

Not to diss, but you realize that this statement

slammed up against this one

..I mean, it doesn't really bode well for having people buy into this theory, imo.

So you're saying I can't have found inspiration from a musician who lacks technical abilities?

Just curious how many drummers have you played with?

I feel safe in stating that the number of drummers I have played with probably exceeds the number of drummers you have seen perform live.

It's 6 of one or a half-dozen of the other (rimshot), but Acrobat IS best broken down into 12/8. Listen to the drums, those snare hits on 10,11,12.

As to why they haven't played it live, the theory that they lack technical proficiency is just that, a theory. Otherwise I can't for the life of me see why they wouldn't perform such an amazing song that fans clamor for.

I feel safe in stating that the number of drummers I have played with probably exceeds the number of drummers you have seen perform live.

Are you fried? You absolutely have not, in fact given that we don't know each other I think your statement is pretty hilarious given how many drummers I've actually performed with, much less jammed with casually. I've definitely seen more drummers live than you've played with. Absolutely without a shadow of a doubt. :lol: Anyways, drums were my first instrument. My kid still plays informally, never had lessons, and even he says Acrobat is relatively easy. Next time he's home I'll get him to bang it out, I haven't torn the kit down yet.

Anyways, your inability to justify in your head why they haven't played a song is hardly a valid basis for some wild theory about them not being technically proficient enough. They haven't played Heartland (or any number of other songs) either, does that mean that they can't play it? :huh:

I adore The Killers version of 'Ultraviolet'...have had it blasting out of my car stereo today.

Really liking Depeche Mode doing 'So Cruel', Garbage doing 'WGRYWH' and Glasvegas doing 'Acrobat'.

You have to consider these songs in their own right to appreciate them. Admittedly that's hard to do as we are so used to them in their original form. It does pay to persevere though.

I really like NIN's Zoo Station, Gavin Friday's The Fly and Jack White's LIB. I am not a fan of the others.

I'ts ridiculous, I've been buying Q for over 8 years. It's the first time, that a cd is not available overseas. Why suddenly change this.

I've done 2 big shops, none of them had one with cd, it's impossible for them to obtain one.

Oh yes you can order one online, including shipping that would be 16 euro's for me...a Q over here costs 8 euro's. I'm not paying that much. :down:

Dissappointed! :angry:

Got it yesterday, I bought it from a British guy at ebay, he delivered promptly. I'm aware that I paid a bit more than it would have cost me on U2.com, but I kind of find it ridiculous to order a British magazine in the US. The Q edition isn't even out here where I live so I'm delighted to already have it. It's beautiful and I really enjoy having the original CD, even though I've heard all the cover versions already. I have mixed feelings about them. NIN's version of Zoo Station is still my favourite one, still not into Depeche Mode and the Killers and a bit ambivalent about the rest, but surprisingly pleased with the Fray and Glasvegas. Interesting versions, even the Snow Patrol version of MW, I don't hate that one.

The Q issues have arrived here now, all without CD. Some German fans say they asked and found out that NO Q mag will be delivered with the album outside the UK. I'm glad I already have the magazine, guess a lot of fans will try to buy/order it online now.

I ordered a copy from Ebay and one from U2.com, still haven't got either.
But that's ok, my Uber was delayed too. They'll probably all show up here the same day!

From what I understand international buyers will not get the CD if you order from the Q site. If someone can confirm that they placed an order from outside the UK and did in fact receive the CD that woud be helpful.

Over the years I have had no problem getting the CDs attached to their issues at my big box book sellers. I checked my Barnes and Noble bookseller yesterday and they are still displaying the November issue. I will check obsessively every day until I can get the copy in my hands. Will be a nice edition to my Q magazine collection.

Edit: I did not know U2.com was selling the issue. I rarely go to the site and sure as hell don't receive any communications from them as to what is going on...

Edit2: Just tried to place an order. Shop doesn't recognize my user name/password. Asks me to create a new user account. I do and it says my user name already belongs to another user. Ya. That would be ME! Try to create a new user name and says my email address is already registered in their system!!! This is comical.

From what I understand international buyers will not get the CD if you order from the Q site. If someone can confirm that they placed an order from outside the UK and did in fact receive the CD that woud be helpful.

Over the years I have had no problem getting the CDs attached to their issues at my big box book sellers. I checked my Barnes and Noble bookseller yesterday and they are still displaying the November issue. I will check obsessively every day until I can get the copy in my hands. Will be a nice edition to my Q magazine collection.

Edit: I did not know U2.com was selling the issue. I rarely go to the site and sure as hell don't receive any communications from them as to what is going on...

Edit2: Just tried to place an order. Shop doesn't recognize my user name/password. Asks me to create a new user account. I do and it says my user name already belongs to another user. Ya. That would be ME! Try to create a new user name and says my email address is already registered in their system!!! This is comical.

I'm in the US, I ordered from the Q site and yes, I did get the CD. The case was slightly cracked but the CD was just fine. :)

Yay, it was in my mailbox when I got home!

I'm pleasantly surprised by how much I like most of it.

Really loved the EBTTRT remix. Liked the Garbage track despite too many changes of mood within it.

Mysterious Ways and One are the biggest disappointments so far, and I will admit to thinking that if it weren't for the singer's irritating voice, I would have liked the Fray's cover.

Ultraviolet had me cringing at the first words out of Brandon Flowers' mouth, but it got better, mainly because I liked the music going on behind his voice.

Really loved the EBTTRT remix. Liked the Garbage track despite too many changes of mood within it.

Mysterious Ways and One are the biggest disappointments so far, and I will admit to thinking that if it weren't for the singer's irritating voice, I would have liked the Fray's cover.

That pretty much sums up how I felt about those tracks, also! :up:

Back
Top Bottom