Adam interviewed in the Observer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Posted this in PLEBA. Interesting all the more as Adam wrote the entire article.

Interestingly, he says he stopped drinking 12 years ago. So we finally have confirmation that the myth that he stopped drinking after Sydney I ZooTV is untrue.

Well, 12 years ago was after the Sydney ZooTV show. ;)

Yes, well I guess it's like me saying I'll start dieting after Christmas.. you are never sure what Christmas I am talking about :lol:

Exactly! :D

And I do agree very much with his comment that rock n roll isn't necessarily just a young man's game. In fact the older I get the more I see put on or affected cool from younger musicians, where many who have been around forever just effortlessly ooze cool. He mentions Neil Young -- yeah, Neil out cools just about everyone -- just by being.

Exactly! :D

And I do agree very much with his comment that rock n roll isn't necessarily just a young man's game. In fact the older I get the more I see put on or affected cool from younger musicians, where many who have been around forever just effortlessly ooze cool. He mentions Neil Young -- yeah, Neil out cools just about everyone -- just by being.

:up:

I don't think he ever claimed he gave up alcohol immediately following the missed gig.

I enjoyed that. Seems like a humble man who appreciates all that his success has afforded him, even if he suspects that he does not deserve it.

Seem very content and at peace with himself, cannot ask for a lot more out of life than that.

enjoyed that very much.

as for the drinking bit, i think it's pretty clear that relapse is part of recovery, so it likely took Adam a few years (1993-1997) to get fully sober, which is entirely normal.

he comes across almost Buddhist now.

I don't think he ever claimed he gave up alcohol immediately following the missed gig.

No he didn't, but I know there has been lots of discussion about this in the past in other threads.

Anyway, what disturbed me a little was him saying:

"I don't think I would ever try and repeat U2. I'd be very happy when U2 came to whatever end, and there is no end, really. But I would be happy to move on. It's a very fast world, and a quieter world would be welcome at some stage."

and then Bono on stage last night saying: "Adam and Larry are getting older, we need to give them a break..."

Bono was Probably having a little joke when he said that,

also, why would you find that quote disturbing when one of the first things where:

"I don't think rock'n'roll is necessarily a young man's game. I think Neil Young is just as rock'n'roll now as he was in his 20s. I'd like to think we can still be edgy and challenging."

lets not turn this into another "oh noez u2s calling it quits" type threads.

lets not turn this into another "oh noez u2s calling it quits" type threads.

I'll actually probably cry when this band breaks up. The nostalgia will hit me like a ton of bricks. :sad: Their chemistry is so rare.

Good article. It seems like the band benefited by not being totally the best at their instruments at the start and as they learned their music evolved along with that process (especially Adam).

I've always found that Adam has been the most interesting of the band members to listen to, must be his English charm.

Back
Top Bottom