Acrobat live thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peterrrrr

New Yorker
This thread is created for us who still have the hopes for Acrobat to appear at a live show at a near future.
Recently Bono said to a fan that they have it in their thoughts.
A little hope maybe.

It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to add a few lines from Acrobat to the Zooropa non-snippet, given the whole 'dream out loud' theme and lack of album instrumental arrangement. Can't see much happening beyond that.

Honestly I hope they'll never even try.

Acrobat is my favourite U2 song. After all these years of them not playing it live, laughing it off when being asked, everyone seems to expect them to nail it when they play it. I haven't forgotten Electrical Storm's miserable end and I do not want Acrobat to suffer through the same faith.

Please U2. Keep Acrobat the legendary never played U2 song. Don't even bother trying. Please.

i still don't understand why U2 never played Acrobat live. Is it because it's too hard to play and it's in weird time signature?

Honestly I hope they'll never even try.

Acrobat is my favourite U2 song. After all these years of them not playing it live, laughing it off when being asked, everyone seems to expect them to nail it when they play it. I haven't forgotten Electrical Storm's miserable end and I do not want Acrobat to suffer through the same faith.

Please U2. Keep Acrobat the legendary never played U2 song. Don't even bother trying. Please.

I agree completely on all points.

I don't think Bono could muster the passion and angst that the song requires while reading the lyrics off of a teleprompter also.

I agree with galeongirl too. There would be so much anticipation they could never live up to it. Best to leave it alone as a rarity that's never been played live.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Just talked to Edge guitar technican, I asked him about Acrobat and he told me that they have done a few rehearsal on that song now :)

haha sorry i posted that and realised that's pretty rude, but really? I guess they can rehearse all sorts of stuff backstage while jamming/recording without it leaking to fans outside during soundcheck. Do wonder about that from time to time.

I agree that if U2 do ever play Acrobat live, they could blow it, I guess? You'd get all the die-hards going crazy when the song kicks in, but that won't save them if it dies on its arse and they just disappoint people.

But the best case for a live airing I think (regardless of hoping Bono's up to it, though I honestly think he's more than capable still) is that the studio recording was thrashed out live with no overdubs. If they really have rehearsed it, they should keep at it, get it tight as can be and just surprise everyone. While it would have great full band on Zoo TV with Bono's voice then, it still could/would sound fucking great now :drool: i'm all for it, personally.

Last edited:
I'd like to believe ya, but it is awfully convenient for you to open this thread and then have an exclusive intel on it the next day.

Just sayin'.

Well I was on the show on Globe arena yesterday and Dallas was in the red zone area, so I talked to him there and asked him if he could tell the band to play it and also told him about the poll of the most wanted U2 live songs.
He told me that they have rehearsal it several times.

If you dont want to believe it is up to you, I dont see any reason to lie about that.

Maybe they just don't like it very much and they don't have the heart to tell us.

I think you are kinda right about this; they don't like Who's gonna Ride.... and consequently, they don't play that song too often. They probably don't like many of POP songs, so they don't play. it makes sense, but I still hope that rarities that they hate appear in the setlist.

Eh, Bono's been on record many times saying how it's one of his favourite U2 tracks.

Edge has been more reserved though. I think it's his quote that they don't play the song because "it's not why people go to a U2 concert for", which is pretty condescending and silly, but hey, it's Edge. One of his best studio performances is on that song so I'm not gonna blame him.

I'm gonna blame Larry! Everybody blames Larry for everything so why not put this on the pile as well.

Back
Top Bottom