Acoustic OOTS to be released on compilation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trevgreg

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Not a studio version of North Star or Every Breaking Wave, but it's something...

Bono, Coldplay, Eddie Vedder Contribute Unreleased Songs to New Compilation | Music News | Rolling Stone

Bono, Coldplay, Eddie Vedder Contribute Unreleased Songs to New Compilation
For Christy Turlington Burns' charity CD, 'Every Mother Counts 2012'
by: Steve Baltin

Model Christy Turlington Burns is teaming with Starbucks to release Every Mother Counts 2012, the second album to benefit the organization she founded of the same name. Every Mother Counts is an awareness and mobilization campaign to reduce the maternal mortality rate on a global scale.

The new collection, available at Starbucks exclusively from May 1st to May 29th to celebrate Mother's Day, features a slew of A-list acts, including David Bowie, Sting, Faith Hill and Lauryn Hill. In addition, there are several previously unreleased tracks, highlighted by Coldplay's acoustic "Yellow," Bono and the Edge's acoustic "Original of the Species," Eddie Vedder's "Skipping" and husband-and-wife team Paul Simon and Edie Brickell teaming on "Pretty Day."

In all, 13 of the 19 songs are previously unheard. In addition to the aforementioned tracks, Alanis Morissette, Patti Smith, Beck, the Dave Matthews Band and more contribute to the collection.

"I went to friends first, as I did with the first CD," Turlington Burns tells Rolling Stone. "Bono and Chris Martin were great supporters of the project the first time around, and when I knew I wanted to include men on this album they were obvious choices. They are also both fathers to daughters. Others, such as Patti Smith and Rita Wilson, I've known for a long time, and some, like Edie Brickell and Paul Simon, I only met briefly but was a huge admirer. I generally wanted a diverse group of artists who were parents, or in the case of Edward Sharpe, who will be soon. We wanted to reach a broad audience on this issue with this particular project and with a range of perspectives."

The full track listing for the CD is as follows. Songs with an asterisk indicate previously unheard tracks.

Bono and the Edge "Original of the Species" (acoustic) *
Eddie Vedder " Skipping" *
Paul Simon and Edie Brickell "Pretty Day" *
Faith Hill "Wish for You"
Sade "The Sweetest Gift"
Lauryn Hill "I Remember"
Rita Wilson "Baby I'm Yours" *
Diana Krall "Don't Fence Me In" *
Seal "Secret"
Dave Matthews Band "Sister" (live) *
Sting "Fragilidad"
Alanis Morissette "Magical Child" *
Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros "Mother" *
David Bowie "Everyone Says 'Hi'"
Cedella Marley "Get Up Stand Up" *
Beck "Corrina, Corrina" *
Rufus Wainwright "Instead of the Dead" *
Patti Smith "Somalia" *
Coldplay "Yellow" (acoustic) *

ugh....if it's anything like the live acoustic version, i'll be real pissed off.

I love this song, but I only remember the live version from Milan (with the orchestra) and the accoustic version from the Apple event with Edge on piano, which, IMO, is great. Can't wait to hear it :up:

The world didn't need one version of OOTS, let alone another.

OOTS OOTS OOTS

:wink:

And don't get your hopes up Von Schloopen(great name btw). I doubt it'll have any guitar in it. It's most likely the version from the Apple event in 2005, with Edge on piano.

This song needs to be buried and forgotten, not dragged out and paraded around as if to say, "Look how absolutely mediocre our band was this last decade".

I love this song. I still think it's the best song on the album and one of the best U2 songs from this decade. The video, btw, is also quite nice, which is really something, given the number of absolutely crappy U2 music videos.

This song needs to be buried and forgotten, not dragged out and paraded around as if to say, "Look how absolutely mediocre our band was this last decade".

I think this is a little harsh, and I do like the song, but that still made me laugh.

Edge on acoustic guitar. Doubt they will bring back that old, weak version from the Apple event.

I have no problem with them releasing this acoustic version, but I wish it wasn't marketed as an "unreleased track". When I hear those words, I think "new song", not a different version of an older one.

I'm envisioning something akin to Stuck acoustic. If that's what we get it'll be great, as Original is one of the best songs they've ever written.

It'll probably be better than the original so I'm glad they're releasing this.

I love this song. I still think it's the best song on the album and one of the best U2 songs from this decade. The video, btw, is also quite nice, which is really something, given the number of absolutely crappy U2 music videos.

Agreed, the video is really nice, a rarity in a decade of shitty U2 videos! I quite like the album version of the song but the acoustic is by no means a favourite, hopefully this verion might be ok..

U2Wanderer says it's Bono and Edge (acoustic guitar and piano) and a string section. The strings will likely make it sound big and lush despite the absence of Adam and Larry.

I just got it. Going to listen now, and I will upload it if anyone would like it. :)

Please do! :)

Also, does anyone know if this is a re-recording? Did they just take the vocals/strings/piano from the album version (and remove the bass and drums)? Did they take the studio vocals and add in new elements? Or is it entirely new?

Back
Top Bottom