Achtung Trabi / Trabant II: Electric Boogaloo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edge_Orchestra

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Achtung Trabi? Trabant II: Electric Boogaloo? Revenge of the Trabi?

Seems that since it's 1991 demise, and U2's use during Zoo TV, the Trabi has gained an underground following... so much that the Trabi has been updated and could hit the streets by 2012!

Check this!

East Germany's favorite car gears up for a revival

Proto-Type model
Trabi_new_1.jpg

Großansicht des Bildes mit der Bildunterschrift: A mini-Trabant nT: the model that started the revivalThe Trabant is back. East Germany's best-selling car has gotten a tune-up and now sports a futuristic new design. If the project finds the right investor, the Trabant nT could hit the streets by 2012.

Affectionately known as the "Trabi," the first Trabant was produced 52 years ago in the city of Zwickau in the former German Democratic Republic.

Proto-Type (rear view)
Trabi_new_2.jpg

Its production ended in 1991, but now the Trabant is experiencing a revival. Its latest version was presented at the IAA international motor show in Frankfurt this September, in a ready-to-drive version.

Herpa, a Bavarian company specializing in the production of miniature vehicle and aircraft models, initiated the idea to resurrect the Trabant. In 2007, it presented a mini-version of the Trabant nT, or “newTrabi,” at the Frankfurt Motor Show.

Bildunterschrift: Großansicht des Bildes mit der Bildunterschrift: NewTrabi prototype at the IAA auto show in FrankfurtThe car sported a more modern design than the East German original and provoked an overwhelmingly positive response among visitors. This reaction inspired Herpa's management to take the newTrabi project to the next level.

A classic in a new body

Car designer Nils Poschwatta is responsible for the Trabant’s 21st century look. He was so excited by the project that he gave up his job at Volkswagen to take it on. And he has given the Trabi a serious makeover.

"The old model is pretty flat and boxy, which we tried to change," Poschwatta told Deutsche Welle. "We gave it more volume and made it sportier. But by and large, the formal elements that make the car what it is are still the same."

An original Trabi (Not one of U2's Trabi's)
Trabi_old_1.jpg

The car still has rounded headlights and a simple interior design. The front is sleeker, and the cabin more spacious. Gone is the plastic-paneled body. But the biggest changes are under the hood: the new design is set to use an electric engine. And if the project finds the right investor, the Trabant nT could hit the streets by 2012.

The first Trabant rolled off assembly lines in 1957. With its two-stroke engine, it was no high-tech masterpiece, but it had enough room for four adult passengers and luggage within its light and durable shell. Over the years, the Trabant saw minimal fine-tuning, with only a few touch-ups.

Noteworthy details

"It's simplicity that makes it a classic," said Poschwatta. "It's a very genuine car, and absolutely practical."

Poschwatta also finds that the Trabi is full of noteworthy details: "The rounded headlight gives it a nice definition that stretches all the way down the side of the car to the tail light. And the trapezoidal grill that opens up slightly toward the bottom gives the Trabant a smile of sorts."

Bildunterschrift: Großansicht des Bildes mit der Bildunterschrift: When the wall fell, the Trabi became a symbol of freedom Production of Trabants ground to a halt two years after the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989, but the car gained a cult status across Germany and other parts of Europe. Trabi lovers took good care of their vehicles as Trabi fan clubs and conventions sprang up in various locations. Irish band U2 even took the Trabant - suddenly a symbol of freedom - on tour in 1992.

But the car's cult status didn't make efforts to design a worthy successor any easier.

Trabi_new_3.jpg

"Working on a design icon is a really big deal, because people expect a lot, and then you start thinking, 'Can I really do this?'" said Poschwatta.

Nevertheless, he was encouraged by the positive response at the Trabant nT's grand premiere.

"Finally unveiling the prototype was really moving, and the attention was such a thrill."

Author: Eva Wuttke/ Editor: Andreas Illmer

East Germany's favorite car gears up for a revival | Science & Technology | Deutsche Welle | 04.10.2009

Haha, that's so cool! :up:

Resurrecting the Trabant ftw! Bring it back for U2's next stadium tour.

The new one looks sort of cool. Be cool to see one up close. Could you imagine... if they make it with electric engine that they mentioned and fans bought them?

The new Trabant company could offer a ZOOTV option, with ZOOTV inspired paint jobs?

U2_Trabant_concert1.jpg

300px-Rockhall_lobby_cars_2005.jpg

zoo-car.jpg

IMG_0177.JPG

If it came with Zoo TV paint jobs as optional then I would definitely consider buying one, alas, there is basically no chance of being sold in Australia.

But i'm sure a Zoo TV paint job would surely increase its value. With the new incarnation its shape looks pretty similar to that of the Mini Cooper.

If it came with Zoo TV paint jobs as optional then I would definitely consider buying one, alas, there is basically no chance of being sold in Australia.

But i'm sure a Zoo TV paint job would surely increase its value. With the new incarnation its shape looks pretty similar to that of the Mini Cooper.

True. Not that different to the MINI, except the new Trabi is supposed to be electric or hybrid-electric.

I'd like mine in the Tiger-stripe fur finish, please. :lol::D:wave::applaud:

But how are you gonna see out of it? :scratch: :wink:

I'd like mine to be the arty version, with Zoo TV - box shape drawings in many different colours. And I want the exhaust to pump out fake money, for all the suckers left behind.

ah, but are they going to be good cars that are just shaped and look like trabants?

or are they going to have all the wonderful characteristics that came with the originals?

I'm sure this time they'll improve all the functions and make it pleasantly driveable.

What does it say on the banner in the first picture in 'Edge_Orchestras' post.
That's the pic showing the cars at one of the ZOO TV concerts.

I can only make out the last bit - ..?...?...?...Bono stop lying.

:love::love::love:

I'd be so tempted to get one, if it did come out. But getting it purely for nostalgic value and the U2 association without looking at the quality and reliability of the car would be stupid. :p

:love::love::love:

I'd be so tempted to get one, if it did come out. But getting it purely for nostalgic value and the U2 association without looking at the quality and reliability of the car would be stupid. :p

:sad: But but but, it could be our family car! Completely in the AB line! It'd be perfect!

I assume it would come with a free Achtung Baby CD? :drool:

Two is better than one.

Back
Top Bottom