Achtung Baby/ Zooropa remaster/ reissue - Part V/Five

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Berlin, Blow your house down and Down all the days* are 2011 vocals ? Impressive imitation of AB vocals.

*how did this get passed over mumbling vocals and far less interesting lyrics in Numb ?

For those who have bought it...are the documentaries good ?

I have the original tracklisting from the Universal website that states a few songs have been messed with. One specifically said new vocals. Hold on let me find it.

CD5 - B-sides and Bonus Tracks
01. Lady with the spinning head (UV1)
02. Blow Your House – Analogue Mix Bono Edit 190711
03. Salome
04. Even Better Than the Real Thing (Single)
05. Satelite of love
06. Wild Horses (Temple Bar Remix)
07. Heaven And Hell – In Truth Mix 210711
08. Oh Berlin – Analogue Mix 1 190711 (needs an edit)
09. Near the Island (instr) Night train from Rostock.
10. Down All The Days (Vsn 1) [CD#4/07] (needs edits)
11. Paint it black
12. Fortunate Son
13. Alex Descends into Hell for a bottle of Milk/Korova
14. Where did it all go wrong
15. Everybody loves a winner edit between take 2+3
16. Real Thing (Fish out of water mix)

So Blow Your House Down is definitely a new vocal, laid down on 19-07, aka when they were in New York. So that would work timewise. Oh Berlin is also from that date, though it doesn't state whether the vocals were changed or not. Same with Heaven and Hell.

Interesting though, I just realised Down All The Days. It has a CD number and track number. Did they use the same working tapes as the Salome sessions?

Yes...I remember this, and that they took this particular version of the track listing down.

I really don't know what to make of it. It looks like this track listing was actually for internal use, but accidentally got posted? When I read it I couldn't quite figure out if "needs an edit" was an original note for the track from the early 90's, and the "edit" was just never made, or that "need an edit" is a new note calling for something to be done specifically for this reissue. And are we sure that "Bono Mix Edit" means the vocals are actually new?

I tend to think those were the original notes affixed to those tracks from 20 years ago, and that at some point they just got carried over....I'm not convinced they're "new" notes indicating changes for this release. And I'm certainly not convinced the Bono vocals are new.

I'm not drawing any conclusions, and I'm certainly not in the mood to debate it, because I don't really have any facts to go on. I'd just like to know what was done to these tracks for prepare them for this release other than the the standard EQ'ng we know about...new vocals, instrument tracks, etc.

Interesting.

Oh Berlin, Blow your house down and Down all the days* are 2011 vocals ? Impressive imitation of AB vocals.

*how did this get passed over mumbling vocals and far less interesting lyrics in Numb ?

For those who have bought it...are the documentaries good ?

I did NOT state that all these are new vocals. They could just as well be new mixes. Only Blow Your House Down seems to have new vocals as it specifically states Bono edit. The rest doesn't state this, so I have no reason to assume these are recent vocals.

Then again, this was a leaked tracklisting. So we can't know if this is the final product.

Yes...I remember this, and that they took this particular version of the track listing down.

I really don't know what to make of it. It looks like this track listing was actually for internal use, but accidentally got posted? When I read it I couldn't quite figure out if "needs an edit" was an original note for the track from the early 90's, and the "edit" was just never made, or that "need an edit" is a new note calling for something to be done specifically for this reissue. And are we sure that "Bono Mix Edit" means the vocals are actually new?

I tend to think those were the original notes affixed to those tracks from 20 years ago, and that at some point they just got carried over....I'm not convinced they're "new" notes indicating changes for this release. And I'm certainly not convinced the Bono vocals are new.

I'm not drawing any conclusions, and I'm certainly not in the mood to debate it, because I don't really have any facts to go on. I'd just like to know what was done to these tracks for prepare them for this release other than the the standard EQ'ng we know about...new vocals, instrument tracks, etc.

Interesting.

Perhaps they forgot to edit the tracklisting for the 'real' tracklist.

I get your point about them being old notes, and honestly, that seems realistic. But one thing. There's datemarks. They're from July this year. If you check where they were those dates, it's NY. It's well known Bono and Larry have houses there, so they might've recording rooms in there. So that gives it a possibility that those timestamps mean when they were edited.

It does seem clear to me that Bono edit means vocals were edited. Why else would his name be there?

But you're completely right in that this is all speculation. We don't know anything for sure as none of us work for U2. Sadly, it'd be much easier if we did. I don't see the need to debate this, as we can't figure it out. All we can do is speculate.

You've handed out shit advice, and now personally attacked me. Fuck off. You're an idiot.

If something fucking plays DVD's, it's a fucking DVD Player. If your hammer played DVD's, it would be a DVD player.

You know that isn't true. Your whole argument is that my advice about DVD players doesn't apply to video games or Blu-Ray players, but you and I both know it works with DVD players. (When the DVD player is a DVD player and not another object which does the job of a DVD player, in which case the rules don't apply.) I never said it works with PS3s or your Colecovision or your Nintendo. I specifically said my advice wasn't meant to apply to Blu-Ray players.

Is my oven a toaster if I toast bread in it?

Dude, if you want a fight, next time go to the trouble of at least coming up with a smokescreen to pretend there's a real disagreement and not you just going online to find a place to misplace the aggression from the stress of your daily life!

You're being ridiculous. Now again, I said GOOD DAY!

soooo....what is everyone using for artwork for all these discs in iTunes?

i thought maybe the cps each came in separate sleeves in the über edition, but doesn't look like it...

i thought maybe the cps each came in separate sleeves in the über edition, but doesn't look like it...

I just used the iTunes artwork from the Deluxe Edition

Perhaps they forgot to edit the tracklisting for the 'real' tracklist.

I get your point about them being old notes, and honestly, that seems realistic. But one thing. There's datemarks. They're from July this year. If you check where they were those dates, it's NY. It's well known Bono and Larry have houses there, so they might've recording rooms in there. So that gives it a possibility that those timestamps mean when they were edited.

It does seem clear to me that Bono edit means vocals were edited. Why else would his name be there?

But you're completely right in that this is all speculation. We don't know anything for sure as none of us work for U2. Sadly, it'd be much easier if we did. I don't see the need to debate this, as we can't figure it out. All we can do is speculate.

Oh right...yeah, like I said, I'm just speculating. I don't really know what they did. And your point about the date stamps in well taken.

And I agree that "Bono" edit means something was done w/his vocals...however "edit" seems to me it can mean anything from the vocals were rearranged/cut/remixed to completely new vocals. But "edit" generally means just making changes to something that already exists...not adding something new. But who knows. I'm curious why, after they made such big deal out of Wave of Sorrow/Dissapeering Act, why they wouldn't a completely new vocal performance by Bono here?

Just chalk it up to another mystery for this release. :)

There were a couple of unused AB covers posted on here a few weeks ago. I've been using those 2.

Hmm. Wanted to upload, but not sure how. I have them as jpgs.

You know that isn't true. Your whole argument is that my advice about DVD players doesn't apply to video games or Blu-Ray players, but you and I both know it works with DVD players. (When the DVD player is a DVD player and not another object which does the job of a DVD player, in which case the rules don't apply.) I never said it works with PS3s or your Colecovision or your Nintendo. I specifically said my advice wasn't meant to apply to Blu-Ray players.

Dude, if you want a fight, next time go to the trouble of at least coming up with a smokescreen to pretend there's a real disagreement and not you just going online to find a place to misplace the aggression from the stress of your daily life!

You're being ridiculous. Now again, I said GOOD DAY!

Your advice was YOUR personal experience with YOUR 3 players. I know how to hack players and have been doing it since the first players that were capable of doing it were around.

I actually provided a link to videohelp.com that could help people with region free codes, and finding out if their players can work with PAL discs.

I don't want to fight with anyone over the internet because it's useless, yet you kept pushing, since I basically "disagreed" with your incorrect advice. Your mistakes have been pointed out, yet you haven't really helped anyone other than saying "google it" and it will work.

Funny how your signature exactly describes how you are.
Debate now consists only of arguing with your fingers in your ears, ignoring all of your opponents' points.

You can ignore that the PS3 is marketed as a Blu/DVD/CD player, when I fully understand that it is a GAMING Machine, that is also a BD, DVD, CD player as well. The two PS3's I own are certainly DVD players since that is what they get used for 99% of the time. Games/BD make up the other 1%.

Skimming is the only way to save your sanity if you seem to be incapable of staying away from this place ..... like me! :wink:

I did NOT state that all these are new vocals. They could just as well be new mixes. Only Blow Your House Down seems to have new vocals as it specifically states Bono edit. The rest doesn't state this, so I have no reason to assume these are recent vocals.

Then again, this was a leaked tracklisting. So we can't know if this is the final product.

As I mentioned above, listen to the LYRICS on Heaven & Hell, that is without a doubt 2011 Bono. And the sound of his voice backs that up. Oh Berlin isn't as obvious but I think it's also new.

I think the fact that Down All The Days is the only one on your list that doesn't mention any new production credits is pretty telling, and the boxes set credits back this up.

I received my uber version today from Amazon. Holy Shit the thing is huge and weighs a ton. Not exactly sure where I will store this.

Your advice was YOUR personal experience with YOUR 3 players. I know how to hack players and have been doing it since the first players that were capable of doing it were around.

I actually provided a link to videohelp.com that could help people with region free codes, and finding out if their players can work with PAL discs.

I don't want to fight with anyone over the internet because it's useless, yet you kept pushing, since I basically "disagreed" with your incorrect advice. Your mistakes have been pointed out, yet you haven't really helped anyone other than saying "google it" and it will work.

Funny how your signature exactly describes how you are.

You can ignore that the PS3 is marketed as a Blu/DVD/CD player, when I fully understand that it is a GAMING Machine, that is also a BD, DVD, CD player as well. The two PS3's I own are certainly DVD players since that is what they get used for 99% of the time. Games/BD make up the other 1%.

This is my last comment on the issue. Almost any random DVD player which you or I could walk into a store today and buy could easily be made region-0 and thereby play PAL discs. I have done it 3 times in 5-6 years and I know quite a few people who have also done it more than once. I have worked in the DVD production departments for 2 of the major studios in Burbank and pretty much all of my coworkers did the same thing because we liked watching movies from overseas.

I offered that advice to anyone here who might have gotten screwed with a PAL disc. I suggested they Google the instructions for their individual players. That's all.

My advice would work for most people. That's all.

And you were so offended by THAT that you are trying to keep an argument going on hours later about whether an oven is a toaster.

Seriously? There must be something on TV you could watch instead? Are you that uninterested in the U2 release that you wouldn't rather talk about that? This is over.

As I mentioned above, listen to the LYRICS on Heaven & Hell, that is without a doubt 2011 Bono. And the sound of his voice backs that up. Oh Berlin isn't as obvious but I think it's also new.

I think the fact that Down All The Days is the only one on your list that doesn't mention any new production credits is pretty telling, and the boxes set credits back this up.

I would LOVE to listen to it. If only goddamn Universal would stop fucking around and give me my damn box I'll be your guest! :grumpy: But sadly I have no clue how long that's gonna take.

But until then I'll take your word for it. :)

I received my uber version today from Amazon. Holy Shit the thing is huge and weighs a ton. Not exactly sure where I will store this.

How big is it? :hmm: Bigger than the Rose Bowl boxset?

:uhoh: I better start adding some new shelves to the wall. Since mine are now full. And the cds are stacked on top already.

Yep, bigger than the Rose Bowl set. I know because the Rose Bowl box set fits onto one of my CD shelves.

This sucker? Does not fit. :wink:

I was expecting it to be that heavy, but not that big. Yowza!

Ok, just played this on my PC, synchs up fine.

However when i play it in my Bluray/DVD player it really is horribly off... :down:

I believe this is an unfortunately common instance of what i previously described - a Blu Ray player not reading the DVD properly. I believe it has to do with how the disc is 'authored' and subsequently 'read' by the player. Because BR players read discs differently to DVD players the authoring errors most DVD players would have 'corrected' are not corrected by the BR player.

This is my last comment on the issue. Almost any random DVD player which you or I could walk into a store today and buy could easily be made region-0 and thereby play PAL discs. I have done it 3 times in 5-6 years and I know quite a few people who have also done it more than once. I have worked in the DVD production departments for 2 of the major studios in Burbank and pretty much all of my coworkers did the same thing because we liked watching movies from overseas.

I offered that advice to anyone here who might have gotten screwed with a PAL disc. I suggested they Google the instructions for their individual players. That's all.

My advice would work for most people. That's all.

And you were so offended by THAT that you are trying to keep an argument going on hours later about whether an oven is a toaster.

Seriously? There must be something on TV you could watch instead? Are you that uninterested in the U2 release that you wouldn't rather talk about that? This is over.

I tried your example of "Almost any random DVD player which you or I could walk into a store today and buy could easily be made region-0 and thereby play PAL discs." Went to bestbuy.com, hit DVD players. First one listed is a Sony - Progressive-Scan DVD Player with MP3 Playback - Black DVPSR200P/B, then went to videohelp / dvdhacks. Sony DVP-SR200P/B region code - VideoHelp.com Some folks were able to make it work, some can't.

I checked the next one on the list I saw, a Samsung DVD-C500. That allows changing, but you need to change it back. (It can't do Region 0, only actual region areas)

3rd one on the list, was a Dynex DX-DVD2. No region changing for that at all (Which I'm surprised because usually the cheaper offbrands are the ones that do it)

4th Toshiba SD-V296 - No region hack for it.

5th Sony DVPSR500H - One guy got it to work, one didn't

Last one Philips DVP3560/F7 - That one was the first to be completely easy and no one had any issues making it Region Free.

So I would argue that it's not "Almost any random DVD player". Now, are there LOTS of players that can be hacked? Yes. I've owned several. Does that mean Almost Any? No. I bet not even half of the DVD players out there can be made region free/PAL without hardware changes.

Yep, bigger than the Rose Bowl set. I know because the Rose Bowl box set fits onto one of my CD shelves.

This sucker? Does not fit. :wink:

I was expecting it to be that heavy, but not that big. Yowza!

:lol: oh bloody hell. Where the F am I going to put it IF it ever arrives?

Mmmkay, I think I'm going to have to clean out the desk then. Who needs a desk anyway? :wink:

Or a new shelf only for the AB set. :hmm: Or perhaps I need to get a CD/DVD rack so I can stack all my 'regular' music and DVDs there and put the boxet on the shelf. Decisions, decisions.

How big is it? :hmm: Bigger than the Rose Bowl boxset?

:uhoh: I better start adding some new shelves to the wall. Since mine are now full. And the cds are stacked on top already.

The Rosebowl set it tiny compared to this Uber version. It's humongous at least 2 1/2 times taller than the super deluxe boxset. Really not sure where it will go.

Its width matches that of my Wide Awake in Europe vinyl, and the box set is about a half inch taller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom