Achtung Baby/ Zooropa remaster/ reissue - Part V/Five

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure which songs I am thinking of, but some seem to have both "old" lyrics as well as "new" overdubs. Just hearing how clean some of these sound compared to the Outtakes, it seems that there is some overdubs to me.

That's a good point, it could be that some of the outtakes were recorded live with the band (hence noisier and less clear vocals) and some of the others were recorded in the studio control room (hence clearer and louder vocals).

After all this talk about some of the tracks off the Kindergarten disc I'd better not be disappointed. Sounds like that disc alone is going to be worth it. Basing this completely from what I've read I have high hopes for:

- "Baby" Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
- "Baby" Love Is Blindness
- "Baby" Acrobat
- "Baby" Zoo Station
- "Baby" Tryin To Throw Your Arms Around the World

... until next Tuesday (or whatever day it arrives). This wait is taking too damn long! :crack:

I do like how the "Baby" Ultraviolet is somewhat darker than the album version. I also like how the music sometimes nearly overpowers the vocals.

I find the disc great. Love is blindness and tryin' to throw are my favourites, but the rest is really interesting too in terms of understanding the way the songs were written. One of the potential titles of the album ("Fear of woman") is quoted in Mysterious ways, by the way.

PS: For anybody who loves baby Who's gonna ride, I recommend getting hold of the Achtung baby outtakes, there's three other versions in the same vein, more sketchy but very nice all the same.

So can someone PM me a link to download this? I can't find it. Waiting for the vinyl and super deluxe from Amazon. Thanks.

The Kindergarten disc is just soooooooo good.
I can't get over it.

I've been listening to it non-stop since I downloaded it yesterday....

And once I get my Super Deluxe delivered, I'm gonna listen to it even more. :drool:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the Kindergarten disc makes buying the Super Deluxe worth it. :love:

The Kindergarten disc is just soooooooo good.
I can't get over it.

I've been listening to it non-stop since I downloaded it yesterday....

And once I get my Super Deluxe delivered, I'm gonna listen to it even more. :drool:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the Kindergarten disc makes buying the Super Deluxe worth it. :love:

yeah, it is quite fun. i'd say i'm really jacked up for about half of them, which is saying a lot because Achtung Baby is one of the very few albums i consider to be already perfect.

the ones i keep wanting to come back to:

- LIB
- WGRYWH
- One
- Zoo Station
- Ultraviolet
- TTTYAATW

yeah, it is quite fun. i'd say i'm really jacked up for about half of them, which is saying a lot because Achtung Baby is one of the very few albums i consider to be already perfect.

the ones i keep wanting to come back to:

- LIB
- WGRYWH
- One
- Zoo Station
- Ultraviolet
- TTTYAATW

Same here! Love those ones so much. "Baby" WGRYWH has been in my head all day. And while "Baby" One isn't much different lyrically, the different guitar mix and the strings are awesome.

"Baby" TTTYAATW is incredible. I like how Bono's improvising much of the lyrics, but they still sound so...good. :drool:

I like the guitar and vocals on UTEOTW a lot too.

Acrobat is cool, but I wish we had got a demo that was more like the Salome outtakes. The different lyrics is awesome though.

Baby EBTTRT is cool too, but pretty close to some of the remixes we've heard before. No biggy :D

I can't find one I hate, but I know that "Baby" So Cruel is my least favorite of the 12.

agreed on Acrobat. wish it was more like the Hansa Outtakes. not a fan of So Cruel at all.

agreed on Acrobat. wish it was more like the Hansa Outtakes. not a fan of So Cruel at all.

How do you feel about Mysterious Ways?

I like all the "fear of failure", "fear of winning", "fear of God", "fear of no one", "fear of a woman" stuff. But I miss the guitar solo from the final version. And I still haven't come to a decision on how I feel about the additional vocals during the chorus.

I like it so far though.

How do you feel about Mysterious Ways?

I like all the "fear of failure", "fear of winning", "fear of God", "fear of no one", "fear of a woman" stuff. But I miss the guitar solo from the final version. And I still haven't come to a decision on how I feel about the additional vocals during the chorus.

I like it so far though.

i'm not a huge fan of the extra vocals, but i do like the "fear of winning" stuff. really though, WGRYWH and LIB are in a class of their own.

i'm not a huge fan of the extra vocals, but i do like the "fear of winning" stuff. really though, WGRYWH and LIB are in a class of their own.

Oh I totally agree.

Wild Horses is just incredible. I listened up to that song on the disc the first time and then repeated it about five more times before I finished the rest of the CD.

And LIB is just....oh it's awesome. When I first heard it, I was like, "What...!? Is that...is that a...sitar?" AWESOME

And I love the darker Ultraviolet. Love the different and grittier take on the guitar in this version.

No way! Bono is clearly improvising part of the lyrics in the take, it's an early take.

I do not see why he would go back and improvise new melodies over an old demo and make up lyrics about a head like a cabbage!

Trying to Throw....is the only song that sounds to me like it MIGHT be new vocals. The others mentioned are definitly old vocals, however i'm sure they took all the old demo tapes and cleaned them up and made very nice sounding demos because these all sound like finished product to me.

Achtung Baby Kindergarten disc highlights:

Zoo Station: I really like the new chorus in the song. Interesting to hear this song without the "zoo station" chorus in it. It does seem like a cross between the album version and the Bottoms remix. I would really be interested in hearing the full version used in From the Sky Down where Larry is laying down the drum track from the song.

Even Better Than The Real Thing: It seems closer to the Salome version with different melodies in parts of the song and completely different lyrics. Great version.

One: Same vocal as on album version but completely different guitar arrangement.

Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses: My favorite track on the Kindergarten disc. It does seem like a cross between the Salome versions and the Temple Bar Remix version. I really like the new guitar intro on the track. U2 said they were struggling to find the right arrangement for this song. I am a fan of the album version and the Zoo TV Tour versions but the arrangement on the Kindergarten disc and From The Sky Down would be great live as well.

Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World: A stripped down version very similar to the Hansa recordings.

Ultraviolet: Very different guitar arrangement. The main riff from the album version is there but at a very low volume. This baby version is similar to parts of the song from the 360 Tour performance.

Love Is Blindness: A radically different arrangement from the album. It makes the song even darker than before. One of my favorite tracks on the kindergarten disc.

B-Sides:

Oh Berlin: A very interesting track and one of my favorites. "Walk To The Water" came to mind when listening to this track.

Down All The Days: This is my favorite track of the b-sides. People have compared the melody to Bad and Where The Streets Have No Name. For some reason I thought of Van Diemen's Land also.

I was really also hoping for the demo version of Acrobat, but the baby version is good as well.

Consider the following from One's Wikipedia article:

The band returned to Dublin in 1991 to record at the "Elsinore" mansion on the Dalkey coastline. The band continued to work on the song there, adding various overdubs, but not finding a mix they were satisfied with. The Edge thought that they had the foundation for the song, but that it needed "foreground". Eno interceded, explaining to the group that "One" was among the sessions' tracks in which "The song has gone, whatever it is you liked about this song is not there anymore", and that the track had "disappeared under layers of overdubs". He created his own mix, which gave the band a better idea of an arrangement they liked. Eno wanted the band to remove the melancholy elements of the song and persuaded them to remove the acoustic guitar from the song. He also worked with Lanois and The Edge to "undermine the 'too beautiful' feeling", which is why they added the "crying guitar parts that have an aggression to them".

Flood, the sessions' engineer, was unconvinced by the song's mix, saying he "was the nagging doubter. I always felt it was a bit straight, until we did the final mix." The final mix was completed at Windmill Lane Studios in September 1991 on the last night of the album's recording sessions,when some last minute additions were made. Bono did not like a line in the vocals and spent most of the day re-recording it. Later, after the song's mix had just been completed by the production team, The Edge came up with a guitar part he wanted to add to the song's end near the lyric "Love is a temple". After convincing the production team to allow the addition, The Edge played the part once and had it mixed in ten minutes later.

Hmmmm.:hmm: They removed the acoustic guitar THEN rewrote and re-recorded the lyrics. So how come the "Kindergarten" version is acoustic guitar but lyrics exactly like the final album version. Someone's pulled a shifty on us!

After being convinced otherwise last night, the more I listen to Oh Berlin the more I'm leaning towards some 1991 Bono in there.

The spoken verses are very similar sounding to the Midnight Mass on Dublin Christmas Eve poem that Bono recorded around 1985 (?) and less like 2011 Bono. I wonder if that part (at least) is actually from the original sessions.

It was the more direct/forward sounding vocals (rather than distant vocals at Hansa) that originally made me think it was all new.

Hmmmm.:hmm: They removed the acoustic guitar THEN rewrote and re-recorded the lyrics. So how come the "Kindergarten" version is acoustic guitar but lyrics exactly like the final album version. Someone's pulled a shifty on us!

I think the rerecorded line was referring specifically to part of his vocals, not the lyrics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom