Achtung Baby/ Zooropa remaster/ reissue - Part V/Five

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we judge from the current content lists if we will miss out on the three "Interferences" from the old Achtung Baby VHS (directed by Maurice Linnane)?

EDIT: The "ZOO TV SPECIAL – a documentary" is probably the known Outside Broadcast ("Zoo York, Zoo York" or "Philips DCC Presents Zoo Tv Featuring U2") special that was broadcast on several TV stations all over the world. That would be the first time that that would be released officially, right?

BTW; I have found the Outside Broadcast tracklist somewhere. I just don't know for sure that this is the feature on DVD 3

01. Zoo TV Introduction
02. George Bush Rap (Intro)
03. Zoo Station
04. The Fly
05. Even Better Than The Real Thing
06. Mysterious Ways
07. Night Vision
08. Zoo Non-Products / Interference
09. Until The End Of The World
10. Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World
11. When Love Comes To Town
12. Interviews
13. Satellite Of Love
14. The Edge Video Game
15. Bullet The Blue Sky
16. Running To Stand Still
17. "Thanksgiving Day" Poem
18. Where The Streets Have No Name
19. Interference
20. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
21. Desire
22. Phone Call

About 75 mins.

2, 3, 4, 9, 11, 13, 15, 18, 21: 29. August 1992. New York, Yankee Stadium
5, 10, 16: 14. October 1992. Houston, Astrodome
22: 14. November 1992. Anaheim, Anaheim Stadium.

Can somebody confirm, that this is the main feature on the Bonus DVD? Somewhere I heard that it is 70 mins long, so When Love Comes To Town is probably missing.

Gotta say, this baby album would be most other bands best disc. Holy shit TTTYAATW was incredible. Great fresh interpretation, all of them are just, wow!

Love is Blindness is dark as fuck, and is just totally epic

Gotta say, this baby album would be most other bands best disc. Holy shit TTTYAATW was incredible. Great fresh interpretation, all of them are just, wow!

Love is Blindness is dark as fuck, and is just totally epic

Agreed. These "Baby" tracks are actually some of the best "bonus" material of all the reissues. Far superior than anything we got for the Boy/October/War sets. It's a pity they didn't do something like this for all the reissues, because it's far more interesting (and useful for repeated listening) than all the remixes combined.

Let's put it this way...unlike remixes, I'll listen to this more than once and it will make its way into my regular U2 listening, at least for a while.

It seems that they did A LOT of work on all of these tracks in 2011. This explains why there's no "new" album. They really dove back into Achtung!

That's even better than a "remaster" :D

Silly questions, but I was very tired when I listened to the Kindergarten stuff last night, only made it half through the BSides because I fell asleep somewhere after Wild Horses (which is indeed interesting!) - but: how many of the "B-Sides" contain Bono's 2011 vocals? How much of this stuff has been re-recorded recently?

And I even start to like Oh Berlin, just for the poetry, it's not really a proper song for me and I still hate all that talking in the verses, but it's interesting and I quite like the chorus.

Down all the day is so great :up: It's just a bit irritating to hear Bono sing on it when you're in fact expecting Edge to kick into Numb.

but: how many of the "B-Sides" contain Bono's 2011 vocals? How much of this stuff has been re-recorded recently?

From what I heard it's
*Real Thing - Fish Out Of Water Mix (new vocals, newly recorded)
*Heaven and Hell (new vocals, old music tracks)
*Blow your house down (new vocals, old music tracks)

I hope that is right.

With Blow Your House Down they managed to turn a 7 minute psychedelic epic into a HTDAAB out-take :(

And not sure why they re-recorded a doo-wop version of Heaven and Hell.

But loving all the other stuff.

Oh Berlin is new vocals IMHO. wish they'd be brave and release it as a single!

Down All the Days >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Numb by miles.

Another head scratcher from U2.

i actually disagree. while Down All The Days is a lot more catchy (i enjoy it quite a bit), i look at Numb as a more important song from an image standpoint. i feel that it was a brilliant lead single for Zooropa as it really set the stage for U2's image at the time.

so definitely not a head scratcher, imo.

Reading through this thread is killing me. I'm holding off though until I get my box in the mail. Typically I cannot wait and download the leaks. It is taking some tremendous will power!! :lol:

From what I heard it's
*Real Thing - Fish Out Of Water Mix (new vocals, newly recorded)
*Heaven and Hell (new vocals, old music tracks)
*Blow your house down (new vocals, old music tracks)

I hope that is right.

OK, thanks, but I'm not so sure about Heaven and Hell. I'll have to listen to it again, but Bono's voice sounds like his "old" voice to me here. Nice lyrics, though :up:

With Blow Your House Down they managed to turn a 7 minute psychedelic epic into a HTDAAB out-take :(

And not sure why they re-recorded a doo-wop version of Heaven and Hell.

But loving all the other stuff.

Oh Berlin is new vocals IMHO. wish they'd be brave and release it as a single!

Hm, I'm quite ambivalent about Blow your house down, not really convinced by that track, but I really like Heaven and Hell, I enjoy it more than any of the demos we've been listening to for years. It's quite intense.

Oh Berlin is growing on me, still not fond of the spoken verses.

Overall, there's some really good stuff, but I think they could have done better.

Loving most of the Baby versions, though. I'm going to BERLIN now and I'll listen to all of this stuff more carefully when I'm on my trip.

For those in the US, here's how Best Buy will be pricing the AB sets next week:

U2: Achtung Baby
basic CD $9.99
2 CD Deluxe $21.99
6 CD/4 DVD Super Deluxe $129.99

No mention of the Uber Deluxe at Best Buy. Also, amazon has been selling the Super Deluxe for as low as $116, although now I see it's up to $119.

Zooropa remastered?

Hi All

Long time lurker on this thread - first post.

What I really really really want to know is ... is Zooropa "re-mastered"/tweaked in any way.

I have always considered the mixes on both AB and Zoo to be particularly quiet (not good for playlists) and overly compressed so a while a boost for AB is great news, a similar tweak for Zoo would be the icing on the cake.

Thanks in advance

I love these Baby versions of the songs, it's really been a pleasure hearing how they evolved and hearing a different take on songs we already know & love.

Having said that, I think all the "U2 really blew it, X song is better than the original" seems a little silly to me. I think a lot of it is that we've heard all these songs so many times there's a kind of over familiarity, so anything different is going to sound "better." A lot of people are basically sick of he originals, and are thrilled (as I am) to hear different interpretations.

My feeling, and obviously there's no way to prove this, is that most people, hearing the Baby versions and original together for the first time, would still choose the original, which are frankly light years ahead of the Baby versions in terms of polish and being ready for prime time.

Let's put it this way...as good as these are and as fun as they are to hear, I don't believe Achtung Baby would have become the classic it is if the Baby versions had been released originally.

I love these Baby versions of the songs, it's really been a pleasure hearing how they evolved and hearing a different take on songs we already know & love.

Having said that, I think all the "U2 really blew it, X song is better than the original" seems a little silly to me. I think a lot of it is that we've heard all these songs so many times there's a kind of over familiarity, so anything different is going to sound "better." A lot of people are basically sick of he originals, and are thrilled (as I am) to hear different interpretations.

My feeling, and obviously there's no way to prove this, is that most people, hearing the Baby versions and original the first time, would still choose the original, which are frankly light years ahead of the Baby versions in terms of polish and being ready for prime time.

Let's put it this way...as good as these are and as fun as they are to hear, I don't believe Achtung Baby would have become the classic it is if the Baby versions had been released originally.

totally :up:

i think listening to the kindergarten album from a what-could-have-been perspective is the wrong approach anyway

just enjoy it as an alternate version of one of the greatest albums of all time

Anybody get a notice that their Amazon (US) order shipped yet?

I am also trying to hold off on listening to the Baby Baby songs and other extras til I actually have the Super Deluxe in my possession, it's hard when I'm reading all the positive reviews here though.

basic CD $9.99
2 CD Deluxe $21.99

No mention of the Uber Deluxe at Best Buy. Also, amazon has been selling the Super Deluxe for as low as $116, although now I see it's up to $119.

So basically, if you include the tax you'll have to pay (in most states), it's still cheaper to get the Super Deluxe on Amazon, where you'll also get free shipping.

The downside is maybe not getting yours by release day.

Anybody get a notice that their Amazon (US) order shipped yet?

I am also trying to hold off on listening to the Baby Baby songs and other extras til I actually have the Super Deluxe in my possession, it's hard when I'm reading all the positive reviews here though.

I keep checking my amazon account to see if my Super Deluxe has entered the "shipping soon" stage, but it hasn't yet. :( I ordered using a free trial of Amazon Prime, so the set is SUPPOSED to arrive on my doorstep on the release date, next Tuesday. I certainly hope so. I already feel like I've missed the boat somehow since so many folks are listening to the leaked files and discussing them.

Where might I find leaked versions of the "Kindergarten" CD? Would love to listen in and contribute to the thread.

Jeff

basic CD $9.99
2 CD Deluxe $21.99

Best Buy's website has the Uber Deluxe for $478.38. I'm noticing though that they have 11/8 as the availability date for the Uber and Super Deluxe sets though, hopefully that does not mean that Amazon orders will be delayed as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom