Achtung Baby BOXSET reissue - Number 6 - THIS THREAD IS ÜBER DELUXE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
corianderstem said:
I like Oh Berlin so much partially because it's got an awesome mixed-meter time signature thing going on. Like 7/4 or 7/8. That 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2.

That's bad ass; I love that kind of thing. I'm trying to think if there's any other songs where they've done that.

Larry clearly didnt drum that part.

I don't know who this Bill Williams person is you're talking about, but the song was written (and originally performed) by William Bell, one of the stellar acts on the Stax label.
:nerd:

Some Google results say it was co-written by Bell and Booker T. Jones, others say it was co-written by Bill Williams(whoever that is) and Booker T. Jones. Here is one such example(note that all agree Bell was the original performer):

'Everybody Loves a Winner' by William Bell - AOL Music

I had never heard of the song before it appeared on this Achtung release, so perhaps others know better.

Oh wow, I didn't realize that the sample rate was so much higher for DVD-Audio. That's impressive.

I'm sorry, but I can't tell a difference between those snippets and the mp3s in 320 kbps I have in my notebook.

:|

Would it be unethical to purchase an Uber, sell it on eBay for twice its value, and then use half of what I get to purchase another Uber? Thus ending up with an Uber for free? I don't know if I'd feel right about it. Not when so many already can't afford the $400+ price tag.

The only thing that even makes me want the Uber over any of the other sets is the vinyl singles.

namkcuR said:
Would it be unethical to purchase an Uber, sell it on eBay for twice its value, and then use half of what I get to purchase another Uber? Thus ending up with an Uber for free? I don't know if I'd feel right about it. Not when so many already can't afford the $400+ price tag.

The only thing that even makes me want the Uber over any of the other sets is the vinyl singles.

First of all, :eyebrow:, secondly, who the fuck's gonna pay $800 for it??

First of all, :eyebrow:, secondly, who the fuck's gonna pay $800 for it??

No idea who'd pay that much for it, but there are already Ubers on ebay for $700+. I realize that doesn't mean anyone will actually buy them, but they're there.

Anyway, I was just brainstorming, thinking out loud. I'm not actually gonna do it. I'd feel way too guilty.

Amazon still sells them for just over $400, so not sure who would buy them for much more than that...

BTW, you guys should really consider this 24 bit version. I am hearing details and a separation between the sounds WORLDS beyond anything I've ever heard before!

Just out of curiosity, where did that site obtain a 24-bit copy of AB? It's not included in any of the physical sets, is it?

Just out of curiosity, where did that site obtain a 24-bit copy of AB? It's not included in any of the physical sets, is it?

It's not. They seem to have an exclusive on it. Surprised this isn't considered news. They have REM's Out of Time, Nirvana's Nevermind, and a few others too.

Can you guys tell me if there is any difference in the quality of the 3 versions of all the material you get in the Uber set? The physical CDs, the digital MP3s, and the digital WAVs? Are they all the exact same (or basically the same) quality? Thanks.

It's 44.1kHz/24bit, so its not DVD-Audio quality, but since it's 24bit, you can't burn it to an audio cd...(DVD-Audio is 96kHz/24bit)

Actually, you can indeed burn it to an audio CD, it will simply go from 24bit to 16bit to conform to the CD standard.

This is actually pretty cool though, I didn't know that you could download AB in 24bit from this place. I have the Rush Moving Pictures 24bit remaster and it sounds amazing, I might have to check this out.

Can you guys tell me if there is any difference in the quality of the 3 versions of all the material you get in the Uber set? The physical CDs, the digital MP3s, and the digital WAVs? Are they all the exact same (or basically the same) quality? Thanks.

Well, they all presumably come from the same source material. If by "quality' you mean how they sound, the CD's and WAV files should should sound exactly the same. The MP3's are obviously lossy, and depending on the bit rate they're encoded at (and how good your ears are) you may be able to tear a difference.

I'm actually surprised they gave downloading WAV's as an option. WAV files are huge, and most artists/retailers who offer lossless downloads do so in FLAC, which provides the same audio quality but at a much lower file size. I understand not everyone can play/decode FLAC, but it just seems odd to offer WAV since you already have the CD's which are essentially WAV files anyway. In other words you're "downloading" the music in the exact same file digital format you already have it in.

No, it's not unethical. What you've descried is called capitalism.

Well, they all presumably come from the same source material. If by "quality' you mean how they sound, the CD's and WAV files should should sound exactly the same. The MP3's are obviously lossy, and depending on the bit rate they're encoded at (and how good your ears are) you may be able to tear a difference.

I'm actually surprised they gave downloading WAV's as an option. WAV files are huge, and most artists/retailers who offer lossless downloads do so in FLAC, which provides the same audio quality but at a much lower file size. I understand not everyone can play/decode FLAC, but it just seems odd to offer WAV since you already have the CD's which is essential WAV files anyway. In other words you're "downloading" the music in the exact same file format you already have them in.

I did mean how they sound, thank you. :up: For this set I want to burn copies of the cds so they don't get wear and tear in my car, so I wanted to know if it mattered which version I use. (My headphones are broken so I couldn't really tell on my computer.)

I guess the reason for the WAV downloads is just a convenience courtesy thing, so people don't have to transfer the 6 discs to their computer (?) And since FLAC would have probably been difficult for a lot of people they just went with the WAV.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation on the formats!

I did mean how they sound, thank you. :up: For this set I want to burn copies of the cds so they don't get wear and tear in my car, so I wanted to know if it mattered which version I use. (My headphones are broken so I couldn't really tell on my computer.)

I guess the reason for the WAV downloads is just a convenience courtesy thing, so people don't have to transfer the 6 discs to their computer (?) And since FLAC would have probably been difficult for a lot of people they just went with the WAV.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation on the formats!

You're welcome!

For your purposes (putting the music on a CD for your car), I'd definitely either just do a direct copy of the actual CD's, or download the WAV's. No point in compressing it to MP3 if you're just going to listen on a standard CD anyway. Unless your car has an Mp3 CD player, in which case you could put all six discs in MP3 format on one CD (even at a high bit rate like 256). Just depends on if you want to fit everything onto one disc, and if your car stereo can play MP3 CD's.

You're welcome!

For your purposes (putting the music on a CD for your car), I'd definitely either just do a direct copy of the actual CD's, or download the WAV's. No point in compressing it to MP3 if you're just going to listen on a standard CD anyway.

Thanks again :) Looking at the Bit Rate on the files, it says the CD is 256 kbps (VBR), and the WAV is 1411 kbps. So those are still probably the same? (I know the VBR means it's an average) (Also just for comparison the MP3 is 320 kbps)

Thanks again :) Looking at the Bit Rate on the files, it says the CD is 256 kbps (VBR), and the WAV is 1411 kbps. So those are still probably the same? (I know the VBR means it's an average) (Also just for comparison the MP3 is 320 kbps)

VBR=Variable bit rate. That's different from average bit rate. Basically, VBR means that the music will be encoded at "variable" bit rates, meaning the rate will be higher when needed(for more complex pieces, for example).

The CD is not 256 VBR, I'm not sure where you're getting that from. The files on CD's are all WAV files, and are a much high bit rate than that. What you've probably done is rip the CD into your computer (using iTunes I presume), and you're looking at those converted files, not the original files from the CD itself.

VBR=Variable bit rate. That's different from average bit rate. Basically, VBR means that the music will be encoded at "variable" bit rates, meaning the rate will be higher when needed(for more complex pieces, for example).

The CD is not 256 VBR, I'm not sure where you're getting that from. The files on CD's are all WAV files, and are a much high bit rate than that. What you've probably done is rip the CD into your computer (using iTunes I presume), and you're looking at those converted files, not the original files from the CD itself.

Right, I guess I didn't say that correctly when I said average, I did mean it's variable so that number is an average, I thought, but maybe that isn't making sense, sorry! :reject:
And yes, I see now about the CD, thanks again, now I understand. I'll make my CD from the WAV files. Thanks for all the explaining.

Back
Top Bottom