Achtung Baby and you - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2016, 07:13 PM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 11:20 PM
My experience was very similar to David's (above), though I was a year older. From when we were about 12, my best friend's favorite band was U2, but I was never really convinced (and I'd been hearing about them since about 1985, when I was 9).

I remember when he read in a magazine that a new U2 album was coming out. "Finally!" he shouted, a bunch of times. In those days, when a band took time off, they were GONE. (No internet, no updates, no video, no nothing)

He bought it the 1st or 2nd day it came out. I heard a few songs and thought they were okay, but basically since the late 80s I already thought U2 was old and finished.

By about 1992-93 I was on-board and realized I'd been wrong about them. And here it is 2016, and the old bastards are still going...

What I especially like about AB is how purely musical it is. Bono's pretensions and ego do not intrude whatsoever into the musical mix. Mr. Dave Evans has never been better. It's a true masterclass LP of songwriting and guitar-work.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:50 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:20 AM
Thumbs Up

AB is my favorite U2 album. I was freshly 19 when it was released. The first time I listened to the entire album, I was hanging at my friend's apartment. He had an awesome sound system. We smoked some weed. Starting playing Sonic the Hedgehog on Sega Genesis and cranked AB while we played the game. It was quite the experience. Zoo Station was a great starter, but Even Better synchronized so well with the game that it really enhanced the vibe of the album.

So many great memories of AB in the early 90's. Every juke box in a bar or pool hall usually had it in their library. Naturally, I had to pick a song or two from it to spread the love. One is my karaoke song. I used to be able to nail it. Plus, I'm remembering right at this very moment that I was infatuated/obsessed with a young lady with whom I was in the friend zone with and sometimes she would mess with my head. I used to crank So Cruel in tribute to her.

I still have the original CD and my Zoo TV concert tee shirt.

Old 10-14-2016, 04:16 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Achtung Baby and you

An embarrassing amount of who I am today is due to this album.

It was life changing.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:03 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabigon View Post
We make fun of U2 now for being so obsessed with perfecting every little detail to the point where they can't commit to anything, then everyone mentions the first few seconds of Zoo Station all these years later. I wonder how much thought went into it.

Listen to the Kindergarten Mix next to the AB album mix. Lots changed. Lots of thought and effort from the band, producers and production team went into it.

Shame they second guess themselves so much. Shame they feel the need to be relevant by working with some of the producers they have been using of late.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference
Old 11-05-2016, 09:29 PM   #20
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyyjoe View Post
I can vividly remember my room mate at the time running into the room screaming because he thought I blew his speakers upon hearing the opening distortion of Zoo Station

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Fucking brilliant. Take that, FCC.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:33 PM   #21
War Child

Local Time: 07:20 AM
Listening to it right now. I knew One and mysterious ways from when it first came out (I was only seven and no one in my circle of friends was really listening to them. Mostly people were listening to pop and rap, mc hammer and vanilla ice 😒) I got best of 90 to 00 and heard uteotw and loved the atmosphere of the song. It wasn't until a friend of mine gave me his u2 catalog that I heard horses and tttyaatw. I love both of those songs. I made a mix of achtung baby + which included unchained Melody and other b sides from the era. I remember when the Adam Sandler movie click came out and they played ultraviolet in one of the trailers. I didn't get into the fly until I bought the zoo TV DVD. I don't think I can go two days without listening to at least one song from the album. They play ebttrt at Dillard's where I work. I use it as a tool to educate and convert people to u2. I still don't get acrobat. I know it speaks to other people but not me. They've played more songs from the album than any other except boy. It is my favorite album but hasn't always been.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:09 PM   #22
War Child

Local Time: 03:20 PM
Achtung Baby = my youth, my young adult years.... Achtung Baby was such an integral part of my life.... from 16 to 22 at least.

I just watched Ultraviolet on Youtube.... and I don't know.... 9/10 times I hear/see U2 play this song... I literally start to cry.... and that does not happen that often.... but everything Achtung Baby is very special to me
Old 11-20-2016, 11:41 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:20 AM
It'd be nice if we got a first leg pro shot Zoo TV concert on DVD or blu ray or whatever. Since the show was totally different from the 93 version we got on tape.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:40 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:20 AM
I was 25 when AB came out, and I remember it vividly.

I was a HUGE U2 fan going back 8 years and was waiting, impatiently for them to release a new album after Rattle and Hum. I went to Tower Records every weekend for a year (Summer of '90 - Fall of '91) to thumb through the music mags for information (Q, Sounds, NME anything from across the pond).

I remember when they announced the first single, "The Fly"...being an 'old-school' fan I figured it would be a politically charged song, reflecting their view of the Gulf War. Instead what I got, when MTV World Premiered the video, was this weird, alt-sounding song that made little sense to me. Totally disappointed, I still looked forward to the rest of the album.

Then about two weeks before the album dropped the released "Mysterious Ways", now that I could get into. It was different, but a little closer to the U2 I knew and loved. The Friday before the release the CD (November 15, 1991) ABC aired a preview of the album on some obscure video\music show they had on late night. Dennis Hopper narrated 10 minute romp through some new footage and snippets of new songs (Live was also featured on this program, with their first album) and I was thoroughly pumped. That same day I got the new Rolling Stone that previewed the album via an essay by Brian Eno. I was totally ready to hear it.

I won the album on a radio contest, so I went to pick it up that following Monday and popped it into my CD player. Uh...WTF is this? Zoo Stations, Arms Around Worlds, Baby, Baby, Babys Lighting My Way? I was completely confused, and thrown off by the noise coming out of my speakers. I lied to myself and said I loved it, but deep down I had no idea what I was hearing. Where were the earnest, world view rock and pop songs I knew from this band. What were all these weird sounds coming from this album. Ugh...sad, they lost it.

Fast forward 2 months later...I played AB on my Walkman everyday waiting for the train, and one day while waiting I realized, OMG....this album is BRILLIANT. It's personal, and touching. Heartbreaking and hopeful. I listened to this album once a day for the next year. It's still my favorite album, U2 or any band. I went to 3 Zoo TV shows, and it is still one of the best years of my life.

Thank you Bono, Edge, Adam, Larry...Achtung Baby is amazing...
Old 12-20-2016, 11:01 AM   #25
War Child

Local Time: 08:20 AM
Great topic, and I love these responses. I was just shy of turning 17, and faked sick from school to buy the album the minute the mall opened on release day. The Fly was definitely weird and disorienting, but I had warmed to it in the time between the single release and the album. But yeah, WTF was I hearing? I had become a fan with JT and then went all in after being dragged to R&H in the movie theater at 13.

Listening to AB that first time was a little crushing. I thought UTEOTW was cool. I didn't even care for One the first time. Maybe it was his vocals being so different. I distinctly remember being grabbed for the first time when Bono whispers "all right now" in Ultraviolet. For a while I kept it on a four-song rotation of Fly, Mysterious Ways UTEOTW and Ultraviolet. I don't know when I finally grew up and began loving the rest of it, but I do know that within less than a year I was standing in the fifth row on the field of Arrowhead Stadium experiencing what was easily the greatest night of my life at that point.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:58 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltau922 View Post
Great topic, and I love these responses. I was just shy of turning 17, and faked sick from school to buy the album the minute the mall opened on release day. The Fly was definitely weird and disorienting, but I had warmed to it in the time between the single release and the album. But yeah, WTF was I hearing? I had become a fan with JT and then went all in after being dragged to R&H in the movie theater at 13.

Listening to AB that first time was a little crushing. I thought UTEOTW was cool. I didn't even care for One the first time. Maybe it was his vocals being so different. I distinctly remember being grabbed for the first time when Bono whispers "all right now" in Ultraviolet. For a while I kept it on a four-song rotation of Fly, Mysterious Ways UTEOTW and Ultraviolet. I don't know when I finally grew up and began loving the rest of it, but I do know that within less than a year I was standing in the fifth row on the field of Arrowhead Stadium experiencing what was easily the greatest night of my life at that point.

Wagging school to buy an album is full on 👍That said, I imagine I would have done the same when HTDAAB was released (had I been school-aged). When anticipation is so high, you've just gotta get your hands on it.

Reading all the seemingly endless build up to HTDAAB on interference made the wait particularly difficult. There would have been less sprinklings of teasers back in 90-91 without a forum like Interference existing. Not sure the lack of information whether that would have curbed or heightened anticipation levels.l?

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin