A U2 story.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooropop40

Refugee
Interference is called Interference because it int
About 6 years ago or so my grandfather went into a coma at age 89. He had a severe case of Alzheimer's and was expected not to live to be 90. As I saw my grandfather on his death bed, completely unconscious, I decided to for some unknown reason plug my ipod earbuds into his ear and play "where the streets have no name." In the middle of the song, his eyes opened up and he smiled. Keep in mind, that this was a man who never heard a U2 song in his life. With his eyes opened, I got to say my final goodbye to him even though he may not have been truly conscious. A week later he died on his 90th birthday.
I will never understand the true supernatural power of U2, but it was a really emotional moment that I will never forget. U2 brought my grandfather out of a coma- just enough for me to say goodbye to him.

What a neat story. But it wasn't the supernatural power of U2...it was your love for your grandfather that held the real power. :)

aw that's fantastic! I was watching Streets (from rattle and hum) earlier and it just brought tears to my eyes. No idea why it does live. It's a song i've heard SO many times, you'd think one would get bored of it but seeing it live 4 years ago was absolutely incredible. I remember when Edge started playing that guitar I just had this feeling that everything at that moment was absolutely perfect, I didn't care about having tears in my eyes then in front of my Dad either. :wink:

So i can totally understand the effects this song must have over people. It's such an uplifting piece of music. That really is a touching story I'm really glad you posted it :) just amazing! I really want for you to be able to meet one of the band someday just so you can tell them that, that must have been a fantastic, if truly sad, moment. I'm glad you got to say a proper goodbye and the means of making it happen are quite special. :)

aw that's fantastic! I was watching Streets (from rattle and hum) earlier and it just brought tears to my eyes. No idea why it does live. It's a song i've heard SO many times, you'd think one would get bored of it but seeing it live 4 years ago was absolutely incredible. I remember when Edge started playing that guitar I just had this feeling that everything at that moment was absolutely perfect, I didn't care about having tears in my eyes then in front of my Dad either. :wink:

Same thing happened to me. My first (and only) U2 show was Philly on the first leg of the last tour. I spent a lot of money (for a 19 year old) to get there, and I don't think I'd been more excited for anything my whole life up to that point. At the end of Pride, Adam came out onto the ellipse and stopped right in front of where I (and LarryMullens_POPAngel) was standing, not 10 feet away. The opening keyboard chord of Streets started, and the flags started to come down the screen, and it all hit me at once. I was hearing my favourite (live) song by my favourite band of all time for the first time, and the stuff I went through to get there...it all flooded me at once as I truly realized the enormity of the moment in my life for the first time, and I choked up hard. Then Adam and Larry started to play and I started jumping and screaming my lungs out and the emotion passed. But I have to say it was one of the very few "high on life" moments I've ever experienced, and something I doubt I'll ever forget.

Anyways, zooropop40, I don't mean to hijack your thread with my story. Yours is really something else, and I'm glad you got to experience that moment with your grandfather before he passed. :hug:

Where the hell would we be if we didn't have music, eh? :)

That's a really beautiful story. Though I am really sorry for your loss. :hug:

I wish I could've had the chance of saying goodbye to my grandfather before he passed away... :sad:

What a neat story. But it wasn't the supernatural power of U2...it was your love for your grandfather that held the real power. :)

Yeah :)

What a very beautiful story and so good that you got to say goodbye to your Grandpa. It would be really great if you could write this story down and sent it to the band! I bet they would be very touched too.

What a nice memory to have. :) I realize it was awhile ago, but I am still sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom