A Sort of Homecoming (The Ultimate Mix)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

youarenotimmune

Refugee
Alright, so this is one of my favourite songs, and I love both the studio & "live" (wide awake in america wembley) versions. The WAIA version is imo brilliantly produced, but there's always been one thing which has bothered me immensely about it. It's missing what is one of my favourite parts of a U2 song, the epic verse "and we live by the side of the road, on the side of a hill as the valley explode.....dislocated, suffocated...the land grows weary of its own"

this verse IS on the alternate mix of ASOH which was released with The Unforgettable Fire single (in new zealand only I think). but alas, as the cruel gods of irony would have it, that mix is missing the verse immediately prior to the aforementioned one! This kind of disturbs the flow of the song for me, and the EPIC VERSE seems a bit sudden & out of place. Now I know I'm being very picky about this, but this is one of my all time favourite songs and i've always wished that we had a more complete mix (with both verses) of the Wembley "live" version. So I tried editing the two mixes to create the ultimate mix, but sadly since I pretty much have zero skills in this area I failed miserably!

Is there anyone here who can do this? All you have to do is cut the "and we live by the side of the road...." part out from the alternate mix and put it in the right place on the WAIA mix. I can send you the alternate mix (from TUF single) if you don't have it. It shouldn't be hard for someone with a little expertise with audio editing & mixing, since they're both from the same source (Wembley) and are identical except for the interchanged verses i've mentioned (and backing vocals from The Edge at the start of the alternate mix).

So, anybody here think they can do this?? plz! :hug:

uhh, not exactly the kind of response i was lookin for, but....ok :scratch:

btw is al kooper that guy who recorded with dylan on like a rollin stone?? lemme google him and see whether being called an al kooper lookalike is a compliment or an insult :lol:

alKooper1.jpg

:wink:

sorry to go so off topic :reject:

kinda reminds me of jack nicholson at a lakers game :lol:

and come on ppl, aren't there any fans of ASOH here who're good at mixing and shit!!!! :waiting:

I fiddled around with Audacity & managed to create a somewhat decent mix. It's not perfect obviously, since i'm a complete novice at this kind of thing, but still, I like it! :D

If anybody wants to check out the ULTIMATE mix of A Sort of Homecoming, leave your email address :wave:

I'd love to understand how these different versions of ASOH came about. Odd that for such a minor single release they created a few different versions. And the oddness is totally compounded by the fact they were pretending it was recorded live. It's a studio cut and paste job. I wonder why they did this?

Alright, so this is one of my favourite songs, and I love both the studio & "live" (wide awake in america wembley) versions. The WAIA version is imo brilliantly produced, but there's always been one thing which has bothered me immensely about it. It's missing what is one of my favourite parts of a U2 song, the epic verse "and we live by the side of the road, on the side of a hill as the valley explode.....dislocated, suffocated...the land grows weary of its own"

this verse IS on the alternate mix of ASOH which was released with The Unforgettable Fire single (in new zealand only I think). but alas, as the cruel gods of irony would have it, that mix is missing the verse immediately prior to the aforementioned one! This kind of disturbs the flow of the song for me, and the EPIC VERSE seems a bit sudden & out of place. Now I know I'm being very picky about this, but this is one of my all time favourite songs and i've always wished that we had a more complete mix (with both verses) of the Wembley "live" version. So I tried editing the two mixes to create the ultimate mix, but sadly since I pretty much have zero skills in this area I failed miserably!

Is there anyone here who can do this? All you have to do is cut the "and we live by the side of the road...." part out from the alternate mix and put it in the right place on the WAIA mix. I can send you the alternate mix (from TUF single) if you don't have it. It shouldn't be hard for someone with a little expertise with audio editing & mixing, since they're both from the same source (Wembley) and are identical except for the interchanged verses i've mentioned (and backing vocals from The Edge at the start of the alternate mix).

So, anybody here think they can do this?? plz! :hug:

email me both files (WAIA not on my computer) and I'll have a crack

dan.smee@gmail.com

I'd love to understand how these different versions of ASOH came about. Odd that for such a minor single release they created a few different versions. And the oddness is totally compounded by the fact they were pretending it was recorded live. It's a studio cut and paste job. I wonder why they did this?

The two versions i'm talking about aren't really that different actually. Apart from that verse interchange, the only difference is some backing vocals by the Edge at the start of the lesser known mix.

But I really don't know why they did this. It's odd that they released the different mix in New Zealand only, cuz it's not like One Tree Hill, which had a specific reason for being released as a single just over there. :hmm:

Is the quality of the rarer file good? because if it has good backing vocals, itd be better to use as a base to slot the other in to

Is the quality of the rarer file good? because if it has good backing vocals, itd be better to use as a base to slot the other in to

it's not as good as the WAIA one, but yea it's alright.

that's what I wanted to do originally as well, but I simply cut the rarer one from the "and we live by the side of the road" part uptil the end and pasted it in the right place in the WAIA file (so I only had to synchronize it at one point rather than two)

Back
Top Bottom