A Sort Of Homecoming Not Played Live Because Of Bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
check out u2start.com - they should have the full show available for download. If you've got a decent connection, it should only take a minute or two to download, and you can snag the song from there.

I think the problem with ASOH, or should I say the reason it hasn't been played recently, is that it doesn't really fit thematically with the band for the past few years. If anything, the Elevation Tour is the only tour I can really see that song finding a home on recently. With his recent vocal improvement, I think Bono could really nail it now.

Also, is it me, or does Bono's Elevation-era voice sound...sad? Not sad like pathetic, but it makes ASOH, which is a pretty upbeat song, sound kind of melancholy. Maybe just to my ears.

Anyone have any recommendations of a good sb performance of ASOH, aside from the one from Wide Awake in America, which is a little more studio than live. The one from Nantes is a bit brittle sounding, just wondering if there was a good quality version of an actual live version.

There's a remastered bootleg from Dortmund, Germany in 1984 that's an excellent bootleg. Check that one out. I don't have it in front of me, but I'm assuming ASOH is on it.

Top 10 U2 song. I'd sooner believe Bono hating Two Hearts than ASOH.

Actually, it SO needs to be brought back into the regular rotation. It's a challenge vocally, so there is that. But it's just so awesome. :up:

I always thought it was Two Hearts Beat As One that the band said was one of their most hated songs and they do not like playing it live and haven't for years...

Do you have a link or quote of any kind?

Or does anyone for that matter?

I too seem to remember hearing this at one time from someone, I could have sworn it was Edge, but I can't find it again anywhere.

If true, that would be a DAMN SHAME as I always thought live performances of Two Hearts Beat As One had awesome energy!

In addition, I really think its an underrated song. Great combination of elements of punk rock, classic rock, new wave/dance, good lyrics, great Adam and Larry performances. Just really, really well done.

I think the problem with ASOH, or should I say the reason it hasn't been played recently, is that it doesn't really fit thematically with the band for the past few years. If anything, the Elevation Tour is the only tour I can really see that song finding a home on recently. With his recent vocal improvement, I think Bono could really nail it now.

Also, is it me, or does Bono's Elevation-era voice sound...sad? Not sad like pathetic, but it makes ASOH, which is a pretty upbeat song, sound kind of melancholy. Maybe just to my ears.

Well said! You are right, I can only see it thematically fitting on the Elevation Tour, and that performance at Slane did make it feel a bit sad and melancholy where it is not that kind of song at all.

I think Bono would do well with this song now. Did fine with UF on 360, so why not ASOH?

It has always been interesting to me how some songs seem to fit no matter the theme of the show(Streets, Still Haven't Found, Beautiful Day, SBS) while some you could only see having a home in one era(ASOH, IGC, The Refugee, So Cruel, Trip Through Your Wires, etc).

I have always bought into the theme determines the set argument, and usually its been a pretty good indicator. Until now. There is no way that 5 ATYCLB songs on 360 can be explained away with a theme of the tour argument.

If they are going to go off theme, then I guess the point I am making is, lets go with ASOH instead of In A Little While or acoustic Stuck.

If true, that would be a DAMN SHAME as I always thought live performances of Two Hearts Beat As One had awesome energy!

Maybe, Bono is shy about... (if you saw "Under a red blood sky", you'll understand me) :laugh: To say seriously, "Two hearts..." is not worth of being forgotten, of cousre.

I don't know. Here's the performance from Slane. I actually think it's pretty stinking good. Bono flubs a little here and there, but no more than any other song.

The song was performed good!:heart:

Well said! You are right, I can only see it thematically fitting on the Elevation Tour, and that performance at Slane did make it feel a bit sad and melancholy where it is not that kind of song at all.

You probably know this but he was sad during the Slane shows and VERY emotional because his father just passed away days earlier so it makes sense that ASOH would be extra emotional for him. IMO.
Kite as well, for example the second nite on the DVD. :heart:

I think the whole Elevation tour after Slane had a melancholy feel to it because of 9/11. It was like a healing ritual here in the states when they played for us.:sad::heart:

Huge difference between the two songs.

Never said the songs were the same.

I am quite well aware of the differences between the songs, I've heard both multiple times.:wink:

UF is definitely as challenging or more challenging of a song vocally.

That was my point.

[
QUOTE=Jeannieco;6804086]You probably know this but he was sad during the Slane shows and VERY emotional because his father just passed away days earlier so it makes sense that ASOH would be extra emotional for him. IMO.
Kite as well, for example the second nite on the DVD. :heart:

Sure, that ran through the entire show. One of the best they've ever done I'd say!

I think the whole Elevation tour after Slane had a melancholy feel to it because of 9/11. It was like a healing ritual here in the states when they played for us.:sad::heart:

All of those shows were incredible. It was probably what got them the Super Bowl gig in 2002- people saw how amazingly powerful and healing their shows were wherever they went.

U2 did a hell of a lot to reassure and help people through the tragedy that was the last part of 2001. I remember the NYPD and FDNY guys all up on stage with them at MSG.

If there was one time period in U2's history that showed the world they were more than just a loud rock band who talk about changing the world, it was that 3rd leg of Elevation. People began to see just how powerful they were, and their reputation as 4 of the classiest, down to Earth guys in show business was I am sure, greatly enhanced.

Never said the songs were the same.

I am quite well aware of the differences between the songs, I've heard both multiple times.:wink:

UF is definitely as challenging or more challenging of a song vocally.

That was my point.

I fully understood your point, but your point is wrong. ASOH is way more challenging vocally. Wayyyyy more. :yes:

I'd be actually very surprised if he could pull it off now, well at least like it was originally recorded/performed, to be honest. :wink:

TUF is only challenging vocally because of the falsetto stunts that Bono mostly skips live. ASOH is harder. However, Bono's range happens to be very good right now, so I think he could easily pull off a good-sounding version.

^ It could be possible for him to hit ASOH, true...but as you say, it would be a "good-sounding" version. The way he used to sing it (I can't find it but I have a live version from the 80s where he takes the first "on borderland we run" in the intro all the way like he does later in the song..just fucking spine tingling)..nowadays it would be tough to do, especially as part of a 24-song show. But hot damn would I EVER LOVE TO HEAR IT!!!! :yes: :yes: :rockon:

I'm actually surprised that this wouldn't be their first pick, say, after Bad, of a TUF song to revisit...the Wide Awake EP was so popular and highly regarded and ASOH was a huge part of that...it definitely needs to come back, in whatever form!!

I fully understood your point, but your point is wrong. ASOH is way more challenging vocally. Wayyyyy more. :yes:

I'd be actually very surprised if he could pull it off now, well at least like it was originally recorded/performed, to be honest. :wink:

Ok, so nothing changes it seems. GVOX still passing off his opinion as fact.

You think you're always right, I know, but they are probably about the same.

UF has plenty of notes to hit that aren't the falsetto parts.

He could pull it off easily.

I don't think he ever performed the song as it was on the album "the see the sky...she will die and live again" may have only been sung a handful of times live.

Don't tell me he couldn't pull of at minimum a 1st leg JT performance of the song now. Those sounded pretty damn good, though they were a bit different than UF tour performances.

So what if they can't do it like originally performed or recorded(we don't know, maybe they can)? How many U2 songs have changed from the way they were originally performed and recorded and still been played frequently and sounded fine?

Just a sample, you fill in the rest:

Pride- was always different, changed every tour, sounded good except for Popmart and Elevation.

WOWY-Zoo TV versions much different, but still spectacular.

Bullet-Performed like the album on JT and LT, then overhauled to great effect for Zoo TV, PopMart and Elevation.

Streets-Performed like the album but a bit deeper on the JT and LT tours, Bono took a higher tone with it thereafter and it went on to replace Bad as the show stopping live U2 song. Sounds nothing like the album or the original live performances vocally today, but still spectacular!

All I know is Bono could give ASOH a much better performance today than he did in 2001. And that wasn't even too bad.

Have all the Bono skeptics just missed every 360 performance of NLOTH, Ultraviolet and Sunday Bloody Sunday?

[

Sure, that ran through the entire show. One of the best they've ever done I'd say!

All of those shows were incredible. It was probably what got them the Super Bowl gig in 2002- people saw how amazingly powerful and healing their shows were wherever they went.

U2 did a hell of a lot to reassure and help people through the tragedy that was the last part of 2001. I remember the NYPD and FDNY guys all up on stage with them at MSG.

If there was one time period in U2's history that showed the world they were more than just a loud rock band who talk about changing the world, it was that 3rd leg of Elevation. People began to see just how powerful they were, and their reputation as 4 of the classiest, down to Earth guys in show business was I am sure, greatly enhanced.

Exactly!!:applaud:
They are supernaturally powerful!:D:heart:

Ok, so nothing changes it seems. GVOX still passing off his opinion as fact.

You think you're always right, I know, but they are probably about the same.

UF has plenty of notes to hit that aren't the falsetto parts.

He could pull it off easily.

Question: do you have any idea what you're talking about re: notes and tones? Given your comments esp about Streets, I highly doubt it. ASOH is a vocally more challenging song than UF, and that's a fact, not my opinion at all.

And by the way I in no way shape or form come anywhere near the category of "Bono Skeptic" :lmao:

Question: do you have any idea what you're talking about re: notes and tones?
Answer: Shut up.

Given your comments esp about Streets, I highly doubt it

What was wrong?

He sang it in a deeper voice on JT and LT than on subsequent tours.

I didn't say anything in depth about notes and tone, precisely because I am not an expert and have always said as much.

ASOH is a vocally more challenging song than UF, and that's a fact, not my opinion at all.

I don't see how that can be said for certain. Are you Bono? Maybe you are a singer(I don't know) and maybe an expert on vocals, but do you speak for all singers?

All I know is that all the songs Bono sings have some level of difficulty to them that falls somewhere between "Happy Birthday" and the opera part of "Miss Sarajevo." I don't see how, on that spectrum, ASOH and UF could be that far apart.

You claim its a fact, yet I can't see any conceivable way that such a thing could be factually proven.

They're both challenging songs, I think most people would agree.

All I know is I can find plenty of threads from between tours when someone would suggest Ultraviolet or TUF and others would go crazy "Bono could never sing that now, no way, its too hard, etc."

Now its being said about ASOH and I don't buy it, sorry.

And by the way I in no way shape or form come anywhere near the category of "Bono Skeptic" :lmao:

OK.

The whole "as originally recorded, performed, is he capable" thing suggested otherwise and I responded to that, but I'll take you at your word.

I don't want to get too far away from the original question posed, which was: Is ASOH on the shelf because of Bono's ability or personal preferences?

Answer: Shut up.

What was wrong?

He sang it in a deeper voice on JT and LT than on subsequent tours.

I didn't say anything in depth about notes and tone, precisely because I am not an expert and have always said as much.

I fully realize that you aren't and that you can't comprehend the difference between the two songs, and once again your inaccurate way of describing the differences in how Streets has been performed is a prime example. It's also clear that you also don't understand the difference in technique he's using to sing some of those songs that you listed nowadays as opposed to how he used to sing them.

However, that doesn't mean that a factual or at minimum well-informed opinion about things musical can't be stated, simply by virtue of the fact that you can't see it yourself or aren't informed in that area. Music, notes, tones, technique and degrees of difficulty in those areas can be assessed in a technical sense, yes they can, and whether you believe they can or not is irrelevant, really. But, I have no burning desire to convince you so if you don't "buy it", I can totally live with that.

Having said all that, I'll again state that I would definitely like to hear this song again, in whatever form Bono/U2 can do it now. I loved UF, also, even if I sortof wished he'd done it closer to the original. That doesn't make me a bad fan or a "Bono detractor" ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom