A Sort of Homecoming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexHamilton

The Fly
Is this anyone else's favorite song? I know it's hard to pick just one song, but if I had to, it would be A Sort of Homecoming.

Is this anyone else's favorite song? I know it's hard to pick just one song, but if I had to, it would be A Sort of Homecoming.

:up:

I've been hoping for this beautiful gem to re-appear in U2's setlists for ages, now. And stil I do:wink:. It is a musical painting, a vision of beauty and growth, an emotional landscape. It would be really awesome, if U2 would return to dust this tune off – and play it in summer ...

YouTube - U2- A Sort Of Homecoming Live

One of their very best.
I think the studio version is way better than the live version.
But if they would add more atmos to it like on the studio version it would sound just:drool:live on the next tour.
It`s possible with today`s technology:wink:

Cheers ,

Mauwer

p.s. Now when is TUF remaster coming? , this and NLOTH would make this year just:drool::drool::drool:

Love it, though not my alltime fav, that would be Bad and another thread.....

I must say Homecoming has some of the best lyrics eva.....

No spoken words, just a scream........:heart:

Oh don't sorrow, no don't weep
For tonight, at last
I am coming home
I am coming home

Easily in my top five U2 songs. I can't really get enough of this song. It's one of those utterly magical tracks that captivates me every time and has kept me interested in U2 even when I've thought I'm sick of them. As soon as I hear the first minute of this song, I'm reminded why I love U2. And then the icing on the cake is the different way it was played live.

I'm crazy for this song too. Besides the song "Pride," the whole UF album is so cryptic, yet each song has that essential atmosphere. I can't imagine coming off such a direct album as WAR... one that launched the band into fame... and be willing to take such a serious artistic risk as UF was. It's the album that made them timeless.

The studio version has that gorgeous layered sound that is so prevalent on the whole UF album. Easily one of the few U2 songs where the live version is weaker than the studio version. The live version always seemed a little strained and forced. That said there is no reason why it should not have been played live instead of going awol for the past 20 years.

One of my all-time favourites. It's such a beautiful song. :heart:

I'd love to hear it live, some day. Would be incredible if they played it this tour!

This song is in my Top 5 as well! I like the studio version, but prefer the live version from Wide Awake In America posted above. The song and it's lyrics are simply amazing!

Other than Bad at live aid, ASOH was the song that got me really into U2, into a fanatic. Beautiful beautiful song, what a way to start an album.

:up: Has to be in my top ten, what a great song! Off a truly excellent album

Note To Band: PLEASE PLAY THIS SONG NEXT TOUR (or at least all the shows I attend)

Easily in my top five U2 songs. I can't really get enough of this song. It's one of those utterly magical tracks that captivates me every time and has kept me interested in U2 even when I've thought I'm sick of them. As soon as I hear the first minute of this song, I'm reminded why I love U2. And then the icing on the cake is the different way it was played live.

AGREEEEED, except for the ' even when i've thought i'm sick of them' part. NEVER felt that way.
SOH gives me the chills.
:heart: :D

It goes back and forth between being my favorite U2 song ever and merely being in the top 5 with One, Walk to the Water, Your Blue Room and New Years Day.

Back
Top Bottom