A Sort of Homecoming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Easily in my top five U2 songs. I can't really get enough of this song. It's one of those utterly magical tracks that captivates me every time and has kept me interested in U2 even when I've thought I'm sick of them. As soon as I hear the first minute of this song, I'm reminded why I love U2. And then the icing on the cake is the different way it was played live.

You had me at "utterly magical tracks" :sad: ...... you just took me to my special happy place with your post. My feelings exactly. Love your writings Mr. Axver!

Its a fantastic song, with probably one of the best basslines from Adam. Takes me somewhere. Just like much of UF. Unfortunately its not in my top 3 from the Unforgettable Fire, but is just as great as the 3 ahead of it (Unforgettable Fire, Wire, Bad) imo. :drool:

Love the song. Love it on the album, love the faux-live version on Wide Awake In America.

Love it, love it, love it.

I adore this song. I love the atmosphere, I love the bassline, I love the vocals. Ahhh! Probably my favorite. I want to die listening to it played live on the tour. Just sweep my ashes away afterwards :combust:

I adore this song. I love the atmosphere, I love the bassline, I love the vocals. Ahhh! Probably my favorite. I want to die listening to it played live on the tour. Just sweep my ashes away afterwards :combust:

This is the thing that keeps us from committing acts of violence against one another.

Amazing song...wish it would reappear in the set!! but who remembers what happened the last time they ever played in concert?!?!

One early review described the scene painted by the lyrics as being of a post-nuclear war landscape. I never got that impression from the song, which seems to just describe a traveller at wintertime ... did the band ever say in an interview that that event (the dropping of an A bomb) is what it was describing? if so I've never seen it, but confirmation would be interesting.

Amazing song...wish it would reappear in the set!! but who remembers what happened the last time they ever played in concert?!?!

The last time they played it was during the third leg of the Elevation Tour. It was an impromptu performance. Bono had picked someone out of the audience who could play guitar. Instead of going into Party Girl/People Get Ready/Knockin' On Heaven's Door (or whatever song gets played when someone is picked), the guy saw his chance and started A Sort Of Homecoming.

Bono had troubles with the lyrics (of course).
:)

The last time they played it was during the third leg of the Elevation Tour. It was an impromptu performance. Bono had picked someone out of the audience who could play guitar. Instead of going into Party Girl/People Get Ready/Knockin' On Heaven's Door (or whatever song gets played when someone is picked), the guy saw his chance and started A Sort Of Homecoming.

Bono had troubles with the lyrics (of course).
:)

EXACTLY!!!! A guy Scott Perretta was called on stage and started playing... Great call!! I love the guy's reactions in this video. part 1 of video here: YouTube - Scott Perretta Plays A Sort of Homecoming Live w/ U2 (Pt. 1)

My favourite song off The Unforgettable Fire :heart:
It's just such an... un-forced song that flows really naturally and the images are beautiful. I agree that it's magic. I get sick of some of U2's 80s songs, but never this one.

Back
Top Bottom