A Man And A Woman appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really like the bridge in this song...it's awweeeesomeeee....

"Brown eyed girl across the street
On rue Saint Divine
I thought this is the one for me
But she was already mine
You were already mine..."

Yes yes yes! That is one of my favorite bridges ever..So beautiful!!

The lyric on this song is incredible. Illustrative, expressive, really painting an intimate, sexy scene. In that respect, it almost reminds me of If You Wear That Velvet Dress. :hmm: To me, both songs make me feel like Bono and the woman he's singing to are the only people in the whole world. :love:

not a huge fan of the song (or the entire album for that matter) but i do like the atmosphere. it's one of the only songs on there where they successfully nail the mood...a dark new york city streetcorner neighborhood jukebox vibe. However, i find the chorus incredibly weak and corny, and that just kinda ruins it for me. The best part of the song is the ending with the lone acoustic guitar along with bono's falsetto (probably the most beautiful moment of the entire record) but by that point it's too little too late.

I actually hated the song when I first heard it.

Then I listened to it in the background at a restaurant ....and I started to like it.

I know :coocoo:

:shrug:

Loved it from the minute I heard it. It's in fact my favorite song on the record. It has a kind of urban/spanish/disco sophistication that I can't resist.

Also my album favorite. It's elegant in its simplicity. it's not overproduced-- the keyboard string wash is lovely and understated. The guitar line in the chorus is so wistful and delicate. This song has U2s trademark mixture of beauty and soul and a yearning melancholy, similar to "Electrical Storm". Bono's extended "... aaaaaand a woman" followed by one of his more restrained wordless howls is one of the highlights for me as is the stripped down end of the song as was already mentioned earlier. Honestly though it did take me awhile to get used to the ultra-high falsetto backing vocal, but U2 has more than enough soul to make it work.

Who wants every U2 song to be a loud stadium sized anthem?

One of the worst on Bomb..mainly because of the "stray dog" line.

The song is simply too long...should not be 4 and a half minutes....cut 30 seconds out and it could keep my attention. The "you'll see" part is fantastic...it's just too clunky after the bridge.

IMO it would be great if after the bridge, there would be a few seconds of instrumental before breaking into the "the soul needs a beauty for a soulmate." part...then I'd be sold as one of the great U2 songs.:drool:

excellent song one of my favourites on the album by far and actually the first U2 song I heard while staying in Dublin, was having a drink in a pub and it came on and I thought 'that's pretty cool...' so different to a lot of U2 and I think that's why people hate it so much. because they're fools. :wink:

I forgot to mention the edge's trademark "aaaaaaa" backing vocal, a la "11 O' Clock Tick Tock" and "A Sort of Homecoming" and ... hey, was there a thread for edge's "aaaaaaa" backing vocal already?

the reason why is the lyrics were used once before

HI All

On the single release "7" there is a song called ALWAYS
in it you will hear the lyrics " The soul needs beauty for a soul mate"

Same exact line in MAN & A WOMAN
Which I think is a totally underrated song on HTDAAB

Adam's bass line is so groovy & bono's lyrics & voice on this track is fantastic

I also agree that it would have been a great song to do durning the acoustic set live !!!

Later All !!!!

I had the same last weekend, suddenly this song popped up in my head, and first I had to think deeply about the name of the tune. Then, it stayed circling in my head and I pretty much liked, more than ever before!

Back
Top Bottom