A Good U2 biography someday?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Panther

Refugee
Happy New Year, everyone. One of my Xmas gifts (to myself) is a book: The Beatles: All These Years -- Tune In, by Mark Lewisohn, who is probably the planet's #1 Beatles' expert. He's previously written 6 reference books relating to The Beatles, been given unprecedented access to Abbey Road studio logs, the group members' school reports, Brian Epstein's management folders, etc., etc.

News of this book is all over the Internet if you're interested, but anyway it's been very well received. I'm currently on page 122, and it's an 803 page book in hardcover. (Incidentally, there is also a 'deluxe' edition available in the UK, which is twice as long.) Now get this -- the 803-page book ends on the last day of 1962, when The Beatles have recently had their first British single released. Two further volumes to complete the story are due in the future (assuming Lewisohn lives that long; it took him 10 years to research and write this one).

What's impressive about this book are: (a) the lack of agenda -- Lewisohn write mainly as a historian, simply presenting the facts as they occurred in sequence; (b) the amount of research and notation to support it -- after the 803 pages of text come 76 pages of detailed notes; (c) the clear, lucid, well written and edited prose style. If only all music-related biographies/histories were so well established and technically sound....

Anyway, this got me thinking about U2's past and future biographies/biographers. I think U2 are at the stage in music history / pop-culture now where their story really deserves and demands a similarly detailed and inspired telling, either now or in the near future. (I must confess I basically think of "U2" as a force of the past -- not that they aren't going to make good new music, but I personally feel their period of greatest inspiration and importance is past. Whether or not the band needs to cease existence before such a masterful bio can be written is another issue, I suppose.)

I've occasionally enjoyed some books/compendiums about U2, by people like Neil McCormick, Eamon Dunphy (Unforgettable Fire bio in '87), and Bill Flanagan. Dunphy's is significant as the first really comprehensive U2 biography, but that's way back at the release of The Joshua Tree, and has there been (not counting U2 by U2, obviously) a real U2 bio since then? That strikes me as odd.

Anyway, I think a good, detailed U2 biography is due (if not overdue). But who is most capable of writing it? It seems to me it would almost have to be an Irish writer, who could properly contextualize the individuals involved in 1960s/70s Dublin. And should such a large biography even be attempted when the band are still active?

I cannot imagine a history of U2 having 803 pages just to take the story up to 1979 (Chapter 9: 'Larry's part-time job as a glorified messenger boy'). Then again, while U2 are not as broadly popular or as important as The Beatles, their history as music-makers is now going on 35 years, while The Beatles' was only about 11 or 12. If The Beatles' full story is going to take 2400 pages to tell, would U2's not require as much?

What would be the point? Thanks to all the books out there we all know pretty much every thing there is to possibly know about the band.

What would be the point? Thanks to all the books out there we all know pretty much every thing there is to possibly know about the band.

I dont think U2 by U2 is particularly great historical account.. or that we really know the band's full story, especially for the last 15 years

I would've liked to have read a book like "U2 at the end of the world" based around the POP years. That would've been an interesting read. To understand exactly what was going on behind the scenes during the making of the album, the fact that the album was perceived as a "failure", and the supposed "disaster" that was Popmart.

While I would like to see a "definitive" U2 biography at some point, I think the author would find it enormously difficult to glean much about the band's history that hasn't already been well documented. U2 are pretty adept at keeping a lid on their "dirty laundry" so to speak, and will continue to be while they are still active. For instance, I'd like to read Rick Rubin's full account of his time working with them, and why those sessions ultimately went belly-up, but he'd probably be unwilling to talk openly about it right now. So maybe a good few years after U2 cease to be, it'll be a project worth pursuing.

I agree that there should be, and will be, a definitive U2 biography much as you describe. But it won't be for a while, and probably not while their still actively recording and touring. AFAIK, for a long time the most "definitive" Beatles biography was Shout!...and look how long it took for the bio that you're reading now to come out, and that's only the first volume. And this IS the Beatles were talking about.

I just think such projects need some perspective, the kind of perspective on an artist's work that only time can give. It's just not time for something like that about U2. Too soon. You also need the benefit of time for people to start talking. In 10 or 20 years people will be more willing to open up about stuff than they are now. Most any biographer will tell you this.

As an aside, I haven't found any of the U2 biographies written up to now to be worth much, including Dunphy's book (which was fine for the time but is quite dated now). The best book on U2 written, by far, has been U2 at the End of the World. But that's not really a biography.

I ahve to agree that the kind of bio you're talking about will have to wait, and also that it should wait. The Beatles haven't worked together in more than 30 years. Most of the bitterness and the euphoria have dissipated, allowing some sort of clear examination. And I think that's what this kind of treatment will have to wait for. But I also have to say that I'll never be as interested in that work as I am in U2 by U2, U2 at the End of the World and such. U2 are creators of narrative and performance artists, and I think their story is better told through an artistic lens.

I would've liked to have read a book like "U2 at the end of the world" based around the POP years. That would've been an interesting read. To understand exactly what was going on behind the scenes during the making of the album, the fact that the album was perceived as a "failure", and the supposed "disaster" that was Popmart.

God I'd love to have this. U2ATEOTW is one of the better rock'on'roll books I've read in a while. I'm a sucker for non-fluff "day in the life" type of things and End of the World really nailed that.

I'd kill to have the same account for Pop. It seems like those were the last times the band was really sort of "fringe"... now they're kind of a hyper-managed mess and there's no room for exploration or excitement.

I was thinking the exact same thing

God I'd love to have this. U2ATEOTW is one of the better rock'on'roll books I've read in a while. I'm a sucker for non-fluff "day in the life" type of things and End of the World really nailed that.

I'd kill to have the same account for Pop. It seems like those were the last times the band was really sort of "fringe"... now they're kind of a hyper-managed mess and there's no room for exploration or excitement.

The Bill Flannigan book was a perfect insight into the glory and the madness of ZOOTV. If you ever wanted to know what really went on with the band when they weren't onstage this is where its at. Not only does it not disappoint, it also sets a blueprint for what to do if you're a world famous rock star as well drawing the line on what not to do. As the reader I felt they were right there at the end of the rope, struggling to keep their balance and not fall over that line. Its an epic story. One thing of many that comes to mind, those comments on what time the band would make it back to their hotel rooms after a night out on the town.

Also liked BP Fallons book, which was more pictures than actual story, though I guess for different reasons. The BP Fallon book tells the far side of things through pictures. Its very clear the ZOOTV outing was 2 years in the life of excess and living large, and its evident that era took on a life all of its own. I can't imagine ever going home or trying to come down from that.

PoP is very intriguing because I suspect its a lot more of the Zoo type stuff, with a few more stories and a few more headaches. Once you conquer the world proper, the next wave you get to see all of the damage and destruction left behind from the first one. Though my eyes are still smiling.

Remember that part of U2 at the End of the World when Larry says "There's a great book to be written about the early years of U2 and Edge stops, looks hard at him and says, "No, there's not."? That what the whole band said at once when someone pitched that Pop project.

So the upcoming fan club renewal gift is NOT a great book about the early years of U2, then?

Awesome. Can't wait to get that one then.

Back
Top Bottom