A Book Based on Miss Sarajevo Goes on Big Screen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vivaSA

War Child
Sarajevo-based daily published an information on a movie that is to be made based on Bill Carter's book "Fools Rush In".

Here's a link to the article:
DNEVNIAVAZ.BA - Dogadjaji - Orlando Blum i Bil Karter sutra stižu u Sarajevo

and here's the translation

Orlando Bloom and Bill Carter Visiting Sarajevo Tomorrow
Director Andrusha Weddington will be joining them – Fools Rush In talks about Sarajevo during the war…
8 August 2008

Famous Hollywood actor Orlando Bloom, Director Bill Carter and Andrucha Waddington will travel to Sarajevo tomorrow.

This information was confirmed by Adnan Hadzic who should meet them together with Boris Siber, Vlado Kajevic and Senad Zaimovic. The reason for the visit is preparation for shooting a movie based on Carter's book Fools Rush In that deals with Sarajevo during the war where some of the characters are the above-mentioned Siber, Kajevic, Zaimovic and Hadzic.

“Carter is our well-known friend who used to hang out with us during the war. He wrote a book on his experience of the war in Sarajevo and this movie will be based on it. He’s coming here wit Bloom, the director and team of producers in order to identify shooting locations, as well as local actors and co-producers” stated Hadzic who works as a producer in Federation TV Station.

The book Fools Rush In was based on Miss Sarajevo, a documentary directed by Carter and produced by Bono Vox.

Team of seven, headed by Carter and Bloom is currently in Split, and they also spent some time in Zagreb, where they visited possible shooting locations for the movie.

They will stay in Sarajevo for a few days and meet many friends, as well as potential associates for the movie. Allegedly, Bloom is to play the leading part, and he would also be an executive producer of the movie.

In the meantime they came to Sarajevo and are visiting locations that will be used for the movie as well as locations used by the Sarajevo Film Festival

HOLIVUDSKA ZVIJEZDA U SARAJEVU: Orlando Bloom u posjeti SFF-u - Sarajevo-x.com

Orlando Bloom to Star in a Film About Bosnia

Compiled by JULIE BLOOM
Published: August 12, 2008

In a departure from his usual roles in Hollywood blockbusters, Orlando Bloom, said he would start work on a new movie about the siege of Sarajevo, the Bosnian capital, from 1992 to 1996, The Associated Press reported. The movie is based on the book “Fools Rush In” by Bill Carter, an American writer and filmmaker who spent time in Sarajevo during the war. Andrucha Waddington is to direct.

Arts, Briefly - Orlando Bloom to Star in a Film About Bosnia - Brief - NYTimes.com

Variety also:

Neeson, Bloom set for Sarajevo film
Bardem in talks to join Waddington's drama

By ARCHIE THOMAS, ALI JAAFARLiam Neeson and Orlando Bloom will star in an untitled pic based on Bill Carter's book "Fools Rush In."
Javier Bardem is in talks for a supporting role.

Brazilian helmer Andrucha Waddington ("Me You Them") will direct.

Carter wrote the book about the period of time when he lived and worked as an aid worker in Sarajevo during the bitter Balkans war siege that lasted 43 months.

Elliott Lewitt ("At Close Range") and Julie Kirkham are slated to produce. Bloom will also co-produce.

"I read the script, and the very human story and the very core of this film spoke to me very clearly," Bloom told reporters in Sarajevo. "This is a departure from the very big Hollywood productions."

Aim is to lense in Sarajevo at the end of the year, with the mayor of Sarajevo backing the project.

Carter previously helmed "Miss Sarajevo," a 1995 doc produced by U2 singer Bono and late Italian tenor Luciano Pavarotti.

Read the full article at:
Neeson, Bloom set for Sarajevo film - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety

I'm so looking forward to this. Hope it makes it to these parts.
Bill Carter's story is so compelling and if presented/produced right, it should be a great film.
:up:

Completely agree. :wink:

I just hope that the film stays as close to the actual book as possible. Bill Carter's story is one of the most compelling personal stories around.

Mulago Positive Women’s Network :hug:

bloomcarteralma.jpg

Carter, Bloom and Alma (one of the characters from the book)

Orlando Bloom?????

There goes the chance that it'll actually be, you know, good.

Cynic.

Kingdom of Heaven is a masterpiece...and have you never heard of this small trilogy of movies he was in a couple years back? Won a few Oscars if I remember.

Back on topic, I read about this project on a movie site the other day, thought it sounded interesting, but didn't know it was based on a book inspired partly by U2...this makes it even better. Or potentially anyway.

powerhouse24, you would really find Bill Carter's book and dvd interesting - especially his explanation of how he got Bono to agree to the Zoo TV broadcasts from Sarajevo! :sexywink:

www.mpwn-uganda.org :love:

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm wondering if it was you both times, but twice in the past week someone has referred to me as Powerhouse...its hour. :scratch:

I don't think so. This is the first time that I remember "talking" to you.

I wish you well though. :wave:

OK then...seemed like there was some weird conspiracy about...but I return the wishes :)

Cynic.

Kingdom of Heaven is a masterpiece...and have you never heard of this small trilogy of movies he was in a couple years back? Won a few Oscars if I remember.

I love the LOTR series. That doesn't mean I think Orlando Bloom is an actor I think is particularly good. :shrug:

Call me a cynic all you want - I'll be more than happy to eat my words if I think he's good in this one.

From Sarajevo to Hollywood: Life under siege

Bill Carter, an American, didn't know much about the war in Bosnia, but somehow he ended up in Sarajevo, the city under siege for almost four years. Liam Neeson and Orlando Bloom are to play lead roles in his film about his experiences there.

By Peter Popham

Monday, 1 September 2008

Bill Carter was a confirmed American drifter and when his girlfriend Corinna died in a car crash, his response to the pain was to go back on the road. He had already covered a lot of ground in his life, from China to the Amazon. The difference now was that he had this grief to cart around, and he couldn't find a place to put it down. "I travelled to Trinidad and stayed there for a year, I went to Venezuela and Colombia, I was in a spin for a year and a half and I didn't know how to get back to earth," he says.

From Sarajevo to Hollywood: Life under siege - Europe, World - The Independent

Back
Top Bottom