5 star classics on the albums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This idea that u2 is like radiohead is absurd. Let me ask this board something. who do you think this band is? they are not a cult driven, dead/phish/radiohead/cure type "album cuts are better and more meaningful then the hits and only morons listen to the hits" kinda band. sure they have experimented . but big difference between what u2 does and what radiohead does. u2 has never made music that had no chance of selling records.. ever. get it? they are a alternative pop rock band. they are not progressive. album cuts should get more play at concerts. but u2 isn;t gonna give anyone a show full of album cuts and rare b-sides and no hits.. like what phish and the dead do. the passengers is the closet thing to making music that can;t sell. i laugh when someone says u2 played it safe on this or that album. you have no idea what "safe" means in that context. you really don't. safe compared to what? where is this epic, 20 min songs, progressive, concept,pink floyd-ish album that u2 did (that was officially called u2) that they are not doing anymore, cause they went "safe"? can someone send me a copy of it?

:doh::doh::doh:

U2 is very much like Radiohead in terms of musical exploration and vision. U2 will put a few mainstream tracks on an album but that doesnt mean they are not experimental. Perhaps you have not listened close enough? listen to passengers, Zooropa, Pop, even NLOTH with good headphones- the detail of the sound is incredible. Many of those albums are way ahead of their time. Perhaps you dont remember the first time you heard a U2 songs and said "WTF was that!?!?" and then you learned to understand it and appreciate it. Think back a bit harder, and hopefully you will see that the 2 bands sometimes even parallel eachother.

Your post is completely off in my opinion- I see U2 a bit differently than you do

u2 explores what can be done with POP music. radiohead explores music period. you really think u2 is in the same place as radiohead???? u2's most experimental track (and i said passengers was a different animal but you don;t mention that) isn't anything compared to radiohead's most experimental track. you think pop or NLOTH is like kid A? . go listen to frank zappa or early genesis. and if this was a genesis board, i would understand 100 times better about the safe vs unsafe parts of the band. as they used to a prog band in every way then completely did a 180 was a pop band in the 80's. u2 still uses melody and textures in a way that can still sell records. and guess what? they have. what deep tracks are you talking about on a u2 record (not passengers) that are so insane they can;t be played on radio? fez/being born is experimental compared to mabey some other u2 songs. its not anything compared to whats on a classic rush album or kid a. ur saying u2 is experimental on the level of radiohead is like someone with no knowledge of slayer saying motley crue is death metal group. just cause its loud.

but this all depends on your definition of "experimental",

and what would you consider to be U2's most experimental track (yes, I consider passengers as part of u2), and Radioheads most experimental track?

also...this is coming from someone who loves radiohead almost as much as u2

well passengers is this music you speak of. but thats not a true u2 album. its a side project. it involved all 4 members, but being lead by someone else. (eno). daddys gonna pay, the wanderer, zooropa,do you feel loved etc. yea thats all experimental. FOR THEM. yesterday i listened to a piece from emerson ,lake, and palmer. i put the cd in my car, and drove a half hour to my destination. when i got thier i was only on track 3. cause the first song was 20 mins. and i just when i thought the song was over, it wasn't. insane drum solos, organ fills, not even a coherent melody,. these guys used to destroy instruments on stage to achieve desired sounds. or at least the organ player did. he has like 8 piano/moogs around him. and ur trying to tell me a band whos sounds come from edges foot pedal or a guy undernieth stage compares to this? :shifty: how about this? nine inch nails. the fragile. or dream theater whos songs sometimes take up one album. or kid a. i mean kid a borders on not even being called music thats how experimental it is. u2 experimented with different sounds/attitudes in the 90's. compared to thier 80's stuff, it was a WTF experience. but still within some reason. AB for me is as much about attitude as the style of music. i understand u2 pisses pff the hardcores by not playing enough album cuts. and thats valid. but now some people are crossing the line , by doing the whole "us real fans know the hits are just so-so, we are here for the album cuts only" shit. that's what a cure fan can say if he goes to a show and they played only the songs that made it to radio. cause the cure's lesser known stuff is thier better stuff. thats what kinda band they are. just like david bowie. u2's lesser known should be played. but thier isn;t this huge gap between thier hits and albums cuts like whats made out to be. not like the bands i listed above.

War: NYD, SBS
UF: Pride
JT: Streets, ISHFWILF, WOWY
AB: One
ATYCLB: BD

* NLOTH : Magnificent

Kid A is one of my absolute favorite albums. and radiohead does write more experimental individual songs, but if you want to look at who has experimented with the most amount of different types of music, take a look at this:

Boy/ Oct/ War- Punk rock

TUF - Atmoshperic melodic soft rock

JT/ R&H- Melodic soft rock mixed with some blues

AB/ Zooropa- Electronica, psychedelic, and industrial influence

OS1- Soundtrack

Pop- Disco and trance influenced

ATYCLB/ HTDAAB- Alternative rock

NLOTH- Ambient, melodic, and a bit of electronica

As you can see, U2 has explored and tried out different styles across their career more vast than radiohead. Not only that, but also take into account stuff like ZOO TV, mr. macphisto, Popmart, these were all very experimental as well, so who has tried more stuff outside their comfort zone- U2.

Now lets compare:

Pablo Honey- Punk rock
The bends- Alternative Rock
Ok Computer- soft rock mixed with electronica
Kid A- ambient and electronic
Amnesiac- Ambient and electronic
HTTT- Ambient and electronic
In raibows- Soft alterative rock

plus, radioheads concerts have stayed somewhat simmilar over the years, as their sound has also stayed somewhat more simmilar for their past 4 albums. Yes they do write more experimental songs, but which band has actually tried more things, experimented more outside their comfort zone- well clearly its U2

just my 2 cents :wave:

i recently rated all the u2 albums on my media player. i can select 1-5 stars for each of the songs. i thought i would share how many songs on each album got 5 stars. and what songs they were.

NLOTH : 0
HTDAAB: 1 (vertigo)
ATYCLB: 2 (BD and WO)
POP: 1 (disco)
ZOO: 1 (the wanderer)
AB; 5 (fly,UTEOTW,one,acrobat,MW)
RAH:(desire,AIWIY)
JT: 3 (wowy,streets,ISHFWILF)
TUF: (pride,bad)
WAR: 3 (SBS,40,NYD)
OCT: 0
BOY: 1 (IWF)

Great list! With that said.....The wanderer???? WTF are you thinking. However, the rest of your list is spot on with the exception of acrobat and the fly (even better than and wild horses are better IMHO). Also, Angel of Harlem, Magnificent and Breathe are missing.

Great list! With that said.....The wanderer???? WTF are you thinking. However, the rest of your list is spot on with the exception of acrobat and the fly (even better than and wild horses are better IMHO). Also, Angel of Harlem, Magnificent and Breathe are missing.

The Wanderer is one of U2's best ever songs. Amazing lyric and the vocals are amazing too

no line, achtung, the joshua tree, they all had eno as a 5th member, just like passengers. side project or not, it's still U2. under the name of passengers.

I REFUSE to accept Passengers as a U2 album. NO, NO, NO!!!

Joshua Tree :drool:
Achtung Baby :drool:
NLOTH :drool:
Passengers :down::down:

The Wanderer is one of U2's best ever songs. Amazing lyric and the vocals are amazing too

I can't stand this song because Bono isn't singing. Its one thing if the Edge sings (seconds or Numb) but I don't consider this a U2 song because Johnny Cash is singing. To me its like if Bono left the band and they got a new lead singer....It just wouldn't be U2. I can't be the only one who feels like this?

I can't stand this song because Bono isn't singing. Its one thing if the Edge sings (seconds or Numb) but I don't consider this a U2 song because Johnny Cash is singing. To me its like if Bono left the band and they got a new lead singer....It just wouldn't be U2. I can't be the only one who feels like this?

Bono wrote the lyric and they asked Johnny Cash to sing it, it's still a U2 song featuring Johnny Cash. If you can't stand a song Bono doesn't sing then U2 must be the only band you like...

Bono wrote the lyric and they asked Johnny Cash to sing it, it's still a U2 song featuring Johnny Cash. If you can't stand a song Bono doesn't sing then U2 must be the only band you like...

:sexywink:

At the risk of sounding like a U2 nut...yes, U2 is the only band/artist I love. I like other bands like INXS, Killers, Coldplay, ect... but U2 I love because of Edge's guitar, Larry's drums, Adams base and Bono's voice/sound. Individually, they are all good but together their unreal. Now, I like a lot of Johnny Cash songs and his voice is amazing (so deep), but not on a U2 album....I want to hear Bono. This is one of the reasons I refuse to accept Passengers as a U2 album.

If they ever went solo, I dont think I would buy their album(s).

Pop 8 (Disco, DYFL, MF, Staring, Last Night, Gone, Please, Wake up)
AB 7 (Zoo/World/Fly, UV trilogy + EBTTRT)
Zooropa 7 (Zooropa, Babyface, Numb, lemon, Stay, Some Days, DD)
R&H 6 (Desire, S&G, AoH, WLCTT, Heartland, God2) Pride, BTBS not counted

JT 5 (WTSHNN, BtBS, IGC, OTH, Exit)
TUF 5 (Wire, Pride, TUF, ASOH, Bad)
War 5 (Secs, NYD, Song, Two hearts, Surrender)
HTDAAB 5 (1-4+Fast Cars)

Boy 4 (IWF, Twilight, SfB, ElCo.
October 3 (Gloria, Fire, ITA?)
ATYCLB 2 (NY, Walk on)
OS-1 1 (YBR)

NLOTH too early to tell, Breath & NLOTH are 5star for sure.

5star non-album tracks:
11OCTT, A Celebration,
Night&Day, HMTMKMKM,
Summer Rain, Love Comes Tumbling, Spanish Eyes
Holy Joe, Saints

I can't stand [Wanderer] because Bono isn't singing.

then listen to Bono singing Wanderer ;)

I REFUSE to accept Passengers as a U2 album. NO, NO, NO!!!

Joshua Tree :drool:
Achtung Baby :drool:
NLOTH :drool:
Passengers :down::down:

Passengers is fantastic!!!! put on some good headphones lay down, close your eyes, and listen to it again and it will take you on a musical adventure. Your blue room, miss sarajevo, slug, and beach sequence are some of their best pieces of music. I hope you give it another try :up:

by the way, are you also a seinfeld fanatic like me?? (guessing by your username)

Kid A is one of my absolute favorite albums. and radiohead does write more experimental individual songs, but if you want to look at who has experimented with the most amount of different types of music, take a look at this:

Boy/ Oct/ War- Punk rock

TUF - Atmoshperic melodic soft rock

JT/ R&H- Melodic soft rock mixed with some blues

AB/ Zooropa- Electronica, psychedelic, and industrial influence

OS1- Soundtrack

Pop- Disco and trance influenced

ATYCLB/ HTDAAB- Alternative rock

NLOTH- Ambient, melodic, and a bit of electronica

As you can see, U2 has explored and tried out different styles across their career more vast than radiohead. Not only that, but also take into account stuff like ZOO TV, mr. macphisto, Popmart, these were all very experimental as well, so who has tried more stuff outside their comfort zone- U2.

Now lets compare:

Pablo Honey- Punk rock
The bends- Alternative Rock
Ok Computer- soft rock mixed with electronica
Kid A- ambient and electronic
Amnesiac- Ambient and electronic
HTTT- Ambient and electronic
In raibows- Soft alterative rock

plus, radioheads concerts have stayed somewhat simmilar over the years, as their sound has also stayed somewhat more simmilar for their past 4 albums. Yes they do write more experimental songs, but which band has actually tried more things, experimented more outside their comfort zone- well clearly its U2

just my 2 cents :wave:

nothing u2 has ever done is as fucked up as kid a. and fucked up as in good. but fucked up. the passengers mabey, but thats debatable if thats really u2 or not. u2 expeirmented with alot of styles. first off, soft rock witch u list a few times, its hardly a "risky" experiment. thier first three albums are greatly influenced by punk rock. but thier not punk rock. not as harsh as real punk and still pretty "safe" sounding compared to the misfits. u2 has electronic and trance influences on some cd's.. but its not like its really really trance . i have trance music. this shit ain't getting played on the radio. we are talking about the the album cuts. not the remixes of songs that u2 puts on thier b sides. but this is really about how i think some people are going a bit too far with the u2 album cuts being so far above the hits. thier not. why do people want exit instead of bullet in the live show? cause exit is better? no its not better. its even. but since u2 overplays bullet, and never gives you exit, it makes u want exit. and just use that analogy for any other "they need to retire this song, and play this" thread. and they should switch up. but its not like david bowie. bowies hits, like lets dance, china girl are no where as good as his groundbreaking songs, like scary monsters, or tvc15, or anything he did with eno. his lesser know albums and deep songs are better then his pop stuff. anyone who knows music knows that. u2 is not that band. thier album cuts and hits are more or less equal. but since they never play certain songs, it makes the heart grow fonder of what you can;t have. if with or without was never played live, and acrobat had been in the live set since day 1, this board would be screaming bloody murder. it would sound like this: "get acrobat that piece of shit song outta here! we wanna hear the ultra rare cut, with or without you! and boy and i am sick of hearing red hill mining town! give bullet the blue sky a chance!"

I'm fairly stingy on five-star ratings, since I think that they're given out far too frequently in the media. To me five stars equals absolute greatness, not something to be given lightly. In the U2 album canon, this means Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree, which are both out of this world. As for individual tracks, the following are absolute, bona-fide, stone-cold classics in my (subjective) opinion...

Boy: 'I Will Follow', 'The Electric Co'

October: None

War: 'New Year's Day'

The Unforgettable Fire: 'The Unforgettable Fire', 'Bad'

The Joshua Tree: 'Where The Streets Have No Name', 'One Tree Hill'

Rattle And Hum: None

Achtung Baby: 'Zoo Station', 'Until The End Of The World'

Zooropa: 'Lemon', 'Stay (Faraway, So Close!)'

Original Soundtracks 1: 'Miss Sarajevo'

Pop: 'Please' [Edit: by this I mean the album version, no single +strings version or live version can top it for me. In fact, it might just be my favourite U2 song of all time]

All That You Can't Leave Behind: None

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb: None

No Line On The Horizon: 'Moment of Surrender'

Singles, etc: 'Window in the Skies'

Boy - I Will Follow, Out of Control (2)

October - (0)

War - Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day, 40, Seconds (4)

The Unforgettable Fire - A Sort oF Homecoming, Pride, The Unforgettable Fire, Bad (4)

The Joshua Tree - Streets, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, With or Without You, Bullet the Blue Sky, Running to Stand Still, Red Hill Mining Town, One Tree Hill (7)

Rattle and Hum - Desire, Hawkmoon 269, Angel of Harlem, All I Want is You (4)

Achtung Baby - Zoo Station, One, Until the End of the World, Wild Horses, The Fly, Mysterious Ways, Ultraviolet Way, Acrobat (8)

Zooropa - Zooropa, Stay, Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car, Dirty Day (4)

Original Soundtracka - Miss Sarajevo (1)

Pop - Gone, Last Night on Earth (2)

All That You Can't Leave Behind - Beautiful Day, Walk On, Kite, Elevation (4)

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb - Vertigo, City of Blinding Lights, Fast Cars (3)

No Line on the Horizon - No Line on the Horizon, Magnificent, Moment of Surrender, Unknown Caller, Breathe, White as Snow, I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (7)

Singles - Window in the Skies, Electrical Storm, Sweetest Thing (2)

^Never heard that before...I like it, but perfer the original.

Thank you for sharing!

Boy- Electric Co (1)
October- none
War- New Years Day, 40 (2)
Unforgettable Fire- A sort of Homecoming, Unforgettable Fire, Bad (3)
The Joshua Tree- Streets, Still Havn't found what I'm looking for, WOWY, Running to stand still (4)
Rattle and Hum- AIWIY, Heartland, Hawkmoon 269 (3)
Achtung Baby- One, Mysterious Ways, WGRYWH, Zoo Station, Fly, Even better than the real thing (6)
Zooropa- Lemon, Stay, Numb, Zooropa (4)
Pop- none :reject:
ATYCLB- In a little while (1)
HTDAAB- City of Blinding Lights (1)
NLOTH- NLOTH, White as snow, Winter (3)

Back
Top Bottom