30 years ago today, I became a U2 fan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deltau922

War Child
Saturday November 12, 1988. 13 years old. I was in Kansas City visiting some buddies I’d met at camp, and one of them had the idea to see Rattle and Hum in this really nice theater with great a great sound system. I wasn’t too keen on it but I was outvoted. Before then the only U2 music I had was a 90 minute blank tape with JT on one side and TUF on the other. Both of those albums run a little longer than that so I’d never actually heard them in their entirety. Well I was completely blown away. I remember thinking how awesome Edge was playing live. The color portion in Tempe when the stadium lights come on during Streets and you see the helicopter shot from up above. Also this was literally the first time I’d ever heard Sunday Bloody Sunday in any form, and this performance can never be topped. Then began the excruciating three year wait for a new album, but at least I had their older music to get to know. Anyway, it’s been nothing but love in the 30 years since.

Oh and the reason I know the date is that the dad who drove us to the theater was listening to the Kansas vs Oklahoma State football game when Barry Sanders scored five touchdowns. Easy enough to look up!

July 4th, 1995 for me. VH1 played a block of 10 U2 videos, and for some reason I recorded them, and watched them over and over.

I remember the date because we were having a 4th of July family event at my grandparents house.

Nice! For me it was around 92 or 93 that I became a fan. Only because my older brother was obsessed with them and he kept playing them nonstop in his supped up station wagon with a atareo system that could barely fit in that vehicle lol. He had his room plastered with u2 posters too. So eventually since we were all forced to listen to them I begun to love them. Interestingly my bro stopped being a fan of them around the time that ATYCLB came out. I still love them however. Edit my brother took me to my first u2 concert in 98 during the popmart tour in Toronto and I was floored! I’ve been to shows on every tour they had since then with the exception of SOE only because they didn’t come here.

Last edited:
Awesome story! I always love hearing stories like this. Really interesting to hear different people's experiences.

For me, it's impossible to pinpoint an exact date that I became a fan. I grew up listening to them and liked them a lot throughout my whole childhood. (ATYCLB and HTDAAB are nostalgic albums for me). Then I rediscovered them like two and a half to three years ago as I finally began to develop my own true music taste. I was already familar with at least 80% of their songs, but I gained a much deeper interests in certain songs that didn't do much for me as a kid. I've seen the band twice in concert since (their last two tours). I'm 19 btw.

Back
Top Bottom