30 years after McGonigals, U2 finally happened to me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
One night in 1979 I bumped into a chap I vaguely knew. A young band he was managing was playing a one-night stand in McGonigal's club that evening: would I care to pop in? I wasn't interested in rock music -- but he had a certain plaintive look about him, so I said yes.

I went to the club alone. The band was awful: uncoordinated, slovenly, tuneless, raucous. I slipped out early, with the homeward urgency caused by both the fact that my departure was not entirely unaccompanied, and a desperate desire that my doomed friend should not spot me leaving.

Because, for the first time since 1979, last Friday night I saw that band again, but now in Croke Park. Yes, it was U2, and yes, it was Paul McGuinness: I don't know what happened to the rest of the cast from that night, but I do know what happened to U2's one-night stand. It was a way-station to being the greatest rock band in the world. I know nothing about these things -- NOTHING, DO YOU HEAR ME? NOTHING -- but to judge from their performance at Croke Park, they still are.

Now, I was unique in Croke Park on Friday, for the songs were new to me. Which was fine. They sounded great, despite their novelty. And in my woeful ignorance, I'd never realised that Larry Mullen was such a brilliant drummer: I mean, really, really brilliant. As a teenager, I endlessly played the old recordings of the great drummers of the big band era -- Gene Krupa, Louie Bellson and Buddy Rich most of all. Well, for the very first time since those distant teenage days, on Saturday evening I was captivated, enthralled, exhilarated by some truly magic syncopation. Steptoe and Son, with Kim Jong-il on vocals, would succeed as a rock band with a drummer like Larry Mullen.

Finally, I now understood why Bono has such a vast following. He is the consummate showman-musician, with unstoppable energy and boundless stage charisma.

Now, entirely by chance, I recently discovered on YouTube that he is a great admirer of the Roy Orbison song, 'The Crowd'. Listen. No one else in the entire world even knows that song. It flopped in the US. It got to number 40 for a single week in the UK. But it was the first 45 I ever bought, and I've never understood why no one else loved it as I do. Well, Bono does. So he can't be all that bad.

The night I fell in love with greatest band in the world - Kevin Myers, Columnists - Independent.ie

well you know its like i have never seen any of the Hobit movies, Lord of the Rings, or Harry Potter movies. I mean how is that even possible? They interest me but i never have seen any of them. I haven't even seen Passion of the Chirst or Titanic. But show me someone who hasn't seen Indiana Jones or Star Wars and i think they are fucking wacko. Different people, i suppose.

Yes and people wouldn't be aware that Kevin Myers, first of all, doesn't like pop music, at least not from the last 40 years, and second of all, is basically the most right wing journalist in Ireland and doesn't agree with debt relief for developing countries and all that other stuff that Bono wants to do. So there might be some hyperbole but it might also be entirely credible.

I find the article oddly moving, actually.

they are the best f-ing live band in the world
you have to be a fan not to realise this

:up:

I loved the omitted paragraphs (from fg's quote, I mean) especially the one about how dreadful they were musically back then and the final one about how they are all integral parts of the "u2 arch". Great article, thanks for sharing! :up:

Someone apart from us actually realises that Larry is a great drummer. :rockon:

Great article. I like that he was able to say he didn't like the politics without slamming Bono for it.

Yeah, i noticed that too. How refreshing. I defy ANYONE, who feels passionatley about a cause, with an audience of 80 000 captivated people, hanging on your every word, to keep quiet about your feelings. Id wager that most people would spout off!

I like the author's reference to 'U2 Happens' - those old buttons and flyers they passed out in the early years.

Back
Top Bottom