30 Seconds to Mars covers Streets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trojanchick99

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Los Feliz, CA (between Hollywood and Downtown LA)
Absolute rubbish. The choir is completely gratuitous, particularly that woman screaming "it's all I can do". I was expecting lulz, given every song they have is ridiculously over the top, but maybe covering an epic song like Streets in their style would cause a rip in the space-time continuum.

God I fucking loathe this band.

Haha someone posted this...:wink:
I'm annoyed at all the fan girls bagging on U2 and then saying how amazing the cover was! It's ok but you know if it weren't for the terrible, egotistical U2 you'd have no cover to be drooling over... Yes I am a 'fan' of Mars but... ( I try to keep things in perspective!):reject:
I think someone wanted to recreate Rattle And hum haha! :lol:
Nowdays at their show you're lucky a fan girl squealing doesn't rupture your eardrums...

This is so not OK. I won't dare play that video.

Jared Leto, wake the fuck up and realize that you're ditching a career as an actor, something you're good at, pretending to be a musician, which you certainly are not good at.

I think 90% of the time, here on Interference, there is an unnecessarily sanctified approach to all U2 covers. As if no one dare touch them unless they are member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame or whatever. I guess that is to be expected from fanboys/girls but really it even goes beyond fanboy/girl reactions into most of the regular people around here. I can think of a few U2 covers which were perfectly decent or good that got a pretty good thumping around here. Yeah, those particular covers might not be great or remotely close to the original but I am talking 'over-the-top' negativity towards them. As in, 'how dare they even attempt!?'.

I thought that poppy-piano-girl did a decent job with Streets. Vanessa Carlton? It wasn't bad. If I were ever sanctimonious about any song in the history of mankind, it would be this song. It's my favorite song, by anyone, of all time. But I think we should be fair.

Now with that disclaimer out of the way...I don't even have to listen to this 30 Seconds of Mars version of Streets to know it is a flaming bag of shit. Hideous in concept alone.

Jared Leto, wake the fuck up and realize that you're ditching a career as an actor, something you're good at, pretending to be a musician, which you certainly are not good at.

Yes.

Does anyone remember that shitty clip of them becoming super warriors that had to defend an ancient Chinese dynasty or something? Hilarious. Tellingly, I can't remember a note of the song it was for.

Yes, Bonnie, I actually kind of love that video in a way.

Based on what I know 30 Seconds sound like, it makes all the sense in the world for them to cover this song, and cover it well, but since the video has been taken down and I'm too lazy to look for another right now, I'll have to find out later if it's any good or not.

I think 90% of the time, here on Interference, there is an unnecessarily sanctified approach to all U2 covers. As if no one dare touch them unless they are member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame or whatever. I guess that is to be expected from fanboys/girls but really it even goes beyond fanboy/girl reactions into most of the regular people around here. I can think of a few U2 covers which were perfectly decent or good that got a pretty good thumping around here. Yeah, those particular covers might not be great or remotely close to the original but I am talking 'over-the-top' negativity towards them. As in, 'how dare they even attempt!?'.

I thought that poppy-piano-girl did a decent job with Streets. Vanessa Carlton? It wasn't bad. If I were ever sanctimonious about any song in the history of mankind, it would be this song. It's my favorite song, by anyone, of all time. But I think we should be fair.

Now with that disclaimer out of the way...I don't even have to listen to this 30 Seconds of Mars version of Streets to know it is a flaming bag of shit. Hideous in concept alone.

I'm like this with all music I like, occasionally I'm shocked, but typically it's lesser artists trashing great music. It especially bugs me for songs that are deeply personal, something that's true of a lot of U2's music. Occasionally I'm impressed by a drastically altered arrangement as a musician, but for the most part if something was written from a real place in the songwriter's life, that kind of passion just can't be called up by the covering artist, unless they can bring something just as passionate behind their own interpretation. That's just how I am with cover music.

The only U2 cover I really love is Elbow's rendition of Running to Stand Still.

c'mon, this 30 seconds to mars stuff isn't that bad... the gospel thing is interesting.
At least it isn't Paramore or the Pet Shop Boys

Back
Top Bottom