20th Anniversary Pop Deluxe + SuperDeluxe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edge_Orchestra

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
20th Anniversary Pop Deluxe + SuperDeluxe

2017 with be Pop's 20th anniversary. Will there be a 20th Anniversary Pop Deluxe + SuperDeluxe?

Sadly, probably not. They will be touring SOE. Pop was seen by the industry as a failure. U2 have historically backed away from releases that were not deemed Joshua Tree big. Other than playing some of the Rattle and Hum singles, that album has been ignored. Other than recent mirackles ('Zooropa') and 'Stay...', the Zooropa album has been ignored. A lot of songs played in 2009 NLOTH shows were gone by 2010/2011 shows. i+e shows showed No NLOTH songs on the Horizon (other than a brief dalliance with a re-worked 'Magnificent'). Similarly, the majority of Pop has been ignored over the past few tours.

A Pop 20th Anniversary set could be great. Particularly if they worked a bit outside the box and didn't merely include the Mexico City DVD for the DVD portion of a Super Deluxe.

Disc 1: Original album
Disc 2: Original album re-mixed. Cleaned up from some of the murk. Make it the monster it could have been.
Disc 3: Demos and alt takes and singles mixes
Disc 4/5: Live compilation from the Popmart tour. U22 style.
Disc 6: Popmart Live. Other than Mexico City. Even if a compilation from various shows, like U23D. + Pop era music videos.

It could be this and more. But sadly, I don't think that the band are interested in it. Like Rattle and Hum... Pop will probably go without a remastered deluxe/super-deluxe reissue.

Time will tell. But history is a good indicator. I hope I'm wrong. I'd love Super-Deluxe POP (and Rattle And Hum).

Yeah, I'm about 50/50 on them doing an anniversary addition. Next year they'll be busy touring and unless some Pop songs fit the theme of the "Experience" part of the tour, I'd guess on them waiting until 25 or 30 years before doing the remaster.

Crap, I feel old.

Part of me feels like it might have already been remastered (or at least "tweaked" the way Achtung Baby was) along with the others in case the reissue campaign didn't suddenly come to a screeching halt the way it did, but maybe that's unlikely.

These days Pop is one of my absolute favourite U2 albums, and in time I really came round to love the sound of it, pretty rough round the edges.

So while I'm curious to hear what it would sound like remixed/"finished" and so on, I'm certainly not gagging for it, especially not with mid to late fifties Bono singing new lines over it. :lol: Would make a great bonus disc though.

Watch the remastered edition just replace a bunch of songs with the Mike Hedges remixes.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'd love to have a deluxe box from this album! A reworked version included should be fine, but I like the album as it is. Maybe a 5.1 dts track from the songs would be great!
A Mexico dvd would be a disappointment. Just like the zootv dvd from the ABbox. There are a lot of proshot videos. They could use the Sarajevo concert for that, just because of the impact that concert had at that time.
A blu-ray version from 'a year in pop' would be great. So there is enough material to deliver!

Sent from my SM-G930F using U2 Interference mobile app

I think it'd be cool if they included a cleaned up version of the lone live performance of "Holy Joe", just for posterity. Don't put the whole press conference on there, though.... that's pretty cringeworthy.

Also a DVD quality performance of "Miami" would be great. After all, U2 wrote "Miami".

I think it'd be cool if they included a cleaned up version of the lone live performance of "Holy Joe", just for posterity. Don't put the whole press conference on there, though.... that's pretty cringeworthy.

Also a DVD quality performance of "Miami" would be great. After all, U2 wrote "Miami".

I remember watching it live, cringeworthy is a perfect description; Kmart, a b-side, lingerie dept, and Bono looked like a sleazy used car salesman.

I just don't think they'll bother as they don't want to go back to that era. Which is a shame.

I'm pretty certain we'll see a song or 2 show up on the setlist next year for the 20th anniversary. They played UF & many AB/Zooropa songs during the 360 to commemorate those album. UF for the 25th anniversary & AB/Zooropa for the 20th.

Its been long overdue to hear a Pop song.

I remember watching it live, cringeworthy is a perfect description; Kmart, a b-side, lingerie dept, and Bono looked like a sleazy used car salesman.

:lol:

That was not a good idea. That press conference kind of kicked off the 'failure' of Pop for them.

Whats crazy is Pop wasn't even out yet. The conference was Feb 12th and album came out early March. Tour started late April. That's not really good for any band, especially in 1997.

Last edited:
:lol:

That was not a good idea. That press conference kind of kicked off the 'failure' of Pop for them.

Whats crazy is Pop wasn't even out yet. The conference was Feb 12th and album came out early March. Tour started late April. That's not really good for any band, especially in 1997.

I completely forgot about that part. Was Discotheque at least out?

I completely forgot about that part. Was Discotheque at least out?

Yeah. The single came out a few weeks before which had the Holy Joe as a B side. I was pretty familiar with Holy Joe when they played it. But that is all we knew of Pop.

I think Popmart tickets went on sale that Friday at 7-8PM. You had to call ticketmaster via 1-800 number they displayed on MTV & VH1. I remember my Dad came in the room that night and told my older brother to buy tickets for the Las Vegas show because your taking you him (me). :up: I think the floor seats we bought were like $50-$60.

Yeah. The single came out a few weeks before which had the Holy Joe as a B side. I was pretty familiar with Holy Joe when they played it. But that is all we knew of Pop.

I think Popmart tickets went on sale that Friday at 7-8PM. You had to call ticketmaster via 1-800 number they displayed on MTV & VH1. I remember my Dad came in the room that night and told my older brother to buy tickets for the Las Vegas show because your taking you him (me). :up: I think the floor seats we bought were like $50-$60.

Yeah I went to all 3 TX shows, so excited that they actually came to SA, but it ended being the worst of the three. The sound in the AlamoDome is terrible, I think we've talked about that before.

I still owe you a beer, I haven't forgotten, I just haven't been able to breathe. :cheers:

There was fan-made "deluxe Pop" set that came out years ago. It has almost every b-side and single mix released during the period. Even if U2 never release this stuff,
the stuff is available. You just have to know where to find it. :applaud:

I'd definitely be happy with a disc of alternate takes (early versions), like the ones which are included on that 'Hong Kong Mixes' video posted by Richie Smyth, maybe something a tad more "finished" like the Kindergarten 'Baby' AB ones, and including something that didn't make the original tracklist.

As for remixes, I'd avoid brand-new reworks and rather release some classic ones from the era, for example there's a version of the Phunk Phorce of 'Mofo' which has slightly alternate and uncensored lyrics; I guess there are remixes which were never released like the Apollo 440's versions of 'One' on AB. I know there are many who couldn't care less about remixes, especially from an era when they were remixed by trendy, dancey names like David Morales and Satoshi Tomiie; still good for some dance music nuts or completists.

As for the PopMart shows, I dream something totally unreal like the inclusion of a concert per leg, even if just audio recordings. But that's a U2 nut talking. I definitely prefer whole shows as opposed to live compilations, but again, that's unreal. There's much TV stuff, but I don't think they will ever release 'A Year In Pop' or stuff like Chris Evans joining them for the TFI Friday 'A Grand Madness'. :lol: It would be great to see something that's unseen and enjoyable in a music perspective.

All of this belongs to a surreal wishing anyway. Or a weird reality. Just like the album itself. :wink:

I made a thread back in 2011 about a potential 15th anniversary release in 2012(obviously never happened). This is my fantasy(with some slight modifications):

Disc 1: Original Album Remastered

1. Discotheque
2. Do You Feel Loved
3. Mofo
4. If God Will Send His Angels
5. Staring At The Sun
6. Last Night On Earth
7. Gone
8. Miami
9. The Playboy Mansion
10. If You Wear That Velvet Dress
11. Please
12. Wake Up Dead Man

Disc 2: B-Sides, alternate mixes, rarities

1. Holy Joe(Garage Mix)
2. Holy Joe(Guilty Mix)
3. North And South Of The River
4. Pop Muzik(Pop Mart Remix)
5. Happiness Is A Warm Gun(The Gun Mix)
6. Happiness Is A Warm Gun(The Danny Saber Remix)
7. I'm Not Your Baby(Sky Splitter Dub)
8. I'm Not Your Baby(w/Sinead, soundtrack version)
9. Slow Dancing(w/ Willie Nelson)
10. Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad
11. If You Wear That Velvet Dress(Jools Holland Version)
12. Discotheque(Mike Hedges aka "New" Mix)
13. Staring At The Sun(Mike Hedges aka "New" Mix)
14. Gone(Mike Hedges aka "New" Mix)
15. The Playboy Mansion(rumored Mike Hedges mix recorded for Best Of 1990-2000 but never released)
16. If God Will Send His Angels(unreleased Zooropa version)
17. If You Wear That Velvet Dress(unreleased Zooropa version)
18. Wake Up Dead Man(unreleased Zooropa version)
19. North And South Of The River(Salome outtakes demo)

Disc 3: Remixes and Single Mixes (I just picked my favorites, might be different for you)

1. Discotheque(DM Deep Club Mix)
2. Discotheque(Hexidecimal Mix)
3. Discotheque(David Holmes Mix)
4. Mofo(Phunk Force Mix)
5. Mofo(Romin Remix)
6. If God Will Send His Angles(Grand Jury/Big Yam Mix)
7. Staring At The Sun(Monster Truck Mix)
8. Staring At The Sun(Sad Bastards Mix)
9. Staring At The Sun(Lab Rats Mix)
10. Last Night On Earth(First Night In Hell Mix)
11. If God Will Send His Angels(Single Mix)
12. Last Night On Earth(Single Mix)
13. Please(Single Mix)
14. Please(USA Edit)

Disc 4: Various radio interviews from Pop promo period in 1997 - this would be fascinating to listen to, to compare how they talked about the album then to how they talk(or don't talk) about it now.

Disc 5 DVD:
A Year In Pop - ABC special with footage of Popmart opening night in Las Vegas
K-Mart press conference for Popmart announcement w/ Holy Joe performance
Bono/Larry Mullen Letterman appearance, June 10, 1997
VH1 Legends U2(Because it was made in this time period, right after Popmart)
Various TV interviews from Pop promo period in 1997 - there are many, just look it up on youtube
Simpsons episode featuring U2 during Popmart
Music videos:
Discotheque version 1
Discotheque version 2
Mofo
If God Will Send His Angels
Staring At The Sun version 1
Staring At The Sun version 2
Last Night On Earth
Please
Please(Live, MTV Video Music Awards)
Mofo(Live, MTV European Music Awards)
North And South Of The River(Live, Omgha Tribute)
All I Want Is You(Live, same Omgha Tribute performance)

Disc 6 DVD: Popmart Rotterdam

Disc 7 DVD: Popmart Leeds

Disc 8 DVD: Popmart Sarajevo

Disc 9 DVD: Popmart Santiago
(no Mexico City, because it's already been released)

That's it. Yeah, it's a total pipe dream. I went completely nuts. Four live shows(five if you count the Vegas footage in 'A Year In Pop'), with no repeat Mexico City release? If only. This would be a really sweet set though. Oh, one more thing: A few years back, bono had been quoted saying something about how the band would like to finally 'finish' the Pop songs someday...if they wanted to finally complete Pop to their satisfaction, you could throw that disc in here too. Ok, that's it.

16. If God Will Send His Angels(unreleased Zooropa version)
17. If You Wear That Velvet Dress(unreleased Zooropa version)
18. Wake Up Dead Man(unreleased Zooropa version)

That would be excellent! I'd add an early take of 'HMTMKMKM', if it's somehow in their vaults.

Disc 6 DVD: Popmart Rotterdam

Disc 7 DVD: Popmart Leeds

Disc 8 DVD: Popmart Sarajevo

I'd die for that, because the European leg was something really special, and the three you mentioned are memorable ones. Sarajevo in an emotional way, because Bono's vocals weren't flawless judging from the audio recording I have, but Rotterdam (small part of which is out - the Jo Whiley's special and on German TV as well) and Leeds are two crackers.

Pipe dream, as you said, I think something like that might be brought to light more when their story is over and (if) the vaults will be open, rather than for a deluxe edition. I'd love a deluxe one like that.
In this day and age, concerts are digitally sold, via iTunes or web official stores, whereas the request for physical formats slightly defaults. But they might even go the completely opposite way and making of that kind of concerts a treat for subscribers for the years to come, if it's the U2 nuts longing for tangible items they have in mind. Either way, a plain dream right now; let's live on torrents of what's out there till the day. :D

Back
Top Bottom