20th Anniversary of the Last of the Greatest Rock Shows Ever!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

youarenotimmune

Refugee
I ripped this idea off digitize's thread celebrating the 20th anniversary of the Point Depot Lovetown shows. And i know the title is drenched in hyperbole, but hey, what the hell :wink:

Today is the 20th anniversary of the final Lovetown show in Rotterdam, and i believe it is an occasion worth remembering. Whatever you may think of Bono's singing style at this time, you cannot fail to acknowledge how ridiculously powerful and strong his voice was. And if some claim this to be the zenith of his singing, I wouldn't find myself disagreeing too strongly with that either. This was the time when Bono stopped shouting (something which makes the JT tour my least favourite of all), and started singing like a rock demigod.

This performance of Bad (from that final Lovetown show exactly 20 years ago today) is a small but potent testament to how effortlessly this guy managed to sing so powerfully, with his voice soaring so magnificently over the transcendental, uplifting sound of U2, at this truly magical time two decades ago

YouTube - U2 Rare Bad Live 1990-01-10 Rotterdam

Wow. Great video! I wish I could've been there, but I was only 7, and in Ohio.

For as much as U2 slags off the Lovetown tour, I consider it to be their best era as far as pure musicianship goes. Bono was in excellent voice and actually seemed a little bit better at guitar strumming, Larry and Adam had a lot more power and passion in their playing, and the Edge literally was on fire! Just listen to the guitar solo from "All along the watchtower" from that era! Hopefully for the Rattle and Hum re-issue, we get a DVD from this tour. It was U2 having a brief identity crisis between 80s U2 and 90s U2, and I think it's great!

I was fortunate enough to have been there , definetly the best U2 show I ever saw!!!
( okay , Love Rescue Me still sounded lame as always:wink: )
I recieved tickets for this show as a make up for the Amsterdam 18-12-89 show.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

p.s. Yes...Bono`s voice was very powerfull that night:drool:

I was fortunate enough to have been there , definetly the best U2 show I ever saw!!!
( okay , Love Rescue Me still sounded lame as always:wink: )
I recieved tickets for this show as a make up for the Amsterdam 18-12-89 show.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

p.s. Yes...Bono`s voice was very powerfull that night:drool:

I was at that one as well, and I agree 100 %.

Absolutely extraordinary stuff.

Lovetown is the high-water mark for me, the band were tighter than ever before, the performances were genuinely inspired and Bono's voice could have blown the roof off. The old material was performed with just as much vigour and dynamism as the new and the guys seemed red hot pretty much from the very first show.

This version of Bad sounds so heavy and epic, makes the more recent performances appear lightweight. As much as it pains me to admit it I think the days of the genuinely great Bad's are behind us, fortunately though versions such as this one are captured forever for us to listen to again and again.

Anyone have video of the night before when Bono went crazy with AIWIY, my favorite U2 moment ever and i think Bono's greatest moment ever too. This performance is great too and he includes a bit of the AIWIY extra lyrics from the night before which is great.

Back
Top Bottom