20 years since U2 concert in Sarajevo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't imagine what it would have been like attending such a concert given how torn the city was. I'm sure you've been asked it loads of time on here but what was the experience like for you and what did it mean for the whole city visaSA? I certainly can't comprehend just how big a deal it must have been to that part of the world.

The most important thing the band has ever done? Probably, it seems.

I remember they broadcasted the show on FM stations through out the US. You can feel how special that show was thru the airwaves.

Maybe U2 will release the concert via DVD/Blu Ray one day. I'm sure it was documented .

I remember they broadcasted the show on FM stations through out the US. You can feel how special that show was thru the airwaves.

Maybe U2 will release the concert via DVD/Blu Ray one day. I'm sure it was documented .

Unlikely, given that Bono's voice was in tatters that day.

This show was near the height of my U2 obsession. I taped it off the radio live, and popped it in my car's cassette deck. It would automatically play whenever I started the car, from the last place it left off. It would stay there from September 1997-August 2000 when the car got totaled in an accident. I tried to take the cassette out afterwards but no electricity meant no eject.

Incredible show, voice shot and all.

I can remember lounging on a deck chair on my 10th floor balcony with my headphones in and a bunch of cold beers watching the twinkle of the downtown lights and the traffic below. It was inspiring to hear the crowd pick Bono up on such a rough night vocally and then chills as Edge took the reigns solo for Sunday Bloody Sunday.

This show was near the height of my U2 obsession. I taped it off the radio live, and popped it in my car's cassette deck. It would automatically play whenever I started the car, from the last place it left off. It would stay there from September 1997-August 2000 when the car got totaled in an accident. I tried to take the cassette out afterwards but no electricity meant no eject.

Incredible show, voice shot and all.

Always thought that this was a badass performance considering the shot voice! This ain't no party!

Mofo was a strong version as well.

Always thought that this was a badass performance considering the shot voice! This ain't no party!

Mofo was a strong version as well.

Yup. I gotta say- I always thought there were some powerful performances in Sarajevo and the crowd was great, just going off the audio. But, I just had the time to watch the whole thing on YouTube and holy shit that crowd was amped up. Understandably so. Mofo was nuts. The crowd around the ramp for the LNOE- UTEOTW was insane. Mysterious Ways and One- great.

This concert was obviously something that was very important to the band, and was of course a huge success not just for U2, but for the city of Sarajevo and for that region of Europe in general.

So... why have they never been back in 20 years?

Back
Top Bottom