15 years ago today, U2 performed during the Super Bowl halftime show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The best halftime show I have ever seen. Prince is not far behind, but you just can't beat MLK into Streets.

Just thought with the Super Bowl this weekend and this being the 15th anniversary of the performance, today would be a good day to revisit it. I watched it a few weeks ago and it still made me emotional.

Here's a Yahoo story on how things came together:

How U2's masterful New Orleans performances for NFL almost never happened

Absolutely incredible and by far the best halftime show ever.

I just realized they played that snippet of Lemon in the intro- that's pretty awesome in itself.

...but you just can't beat MLK into Streets.

Loved this! What is your favorite lead in song to Streets?

I think I'd have to go with another song from Unforgettable Fire: Pride to streets on the vertigo tour. :bono:

I remember this moment very well.

All of my friends wanted to change the channel to some comedy special that was going on at halftime, but I wouldn't let them b/c of U2. Simply f*cking fantastic and one of the quintessential moments for U2, if not THE quintessential moment. While not as important to their career, in terms of pure emotional punch I think it surpassed even Live Aid. When those banners came tumbling down...chills.

Looking back, it's pretty clear this absolutely represented the height of U2's popularity, and when, for a moment, they truly were the biggest band in the world.

Loved the U2 halftime show. It was truly a cathartic moment for all of us. Remember when the country seemed united ?
(Prince's performance was pretty great, too, Headache.)

The Springsteen performance was pretty lousy to his standards, which means it was still entertaining. Definitely not better than U2 though and I say that as a huge fan of both acts.

That being said, yeah... Prince has them both beat. And everyone else.

Back
Top Bottom