15 Years Ago Today: U2 Live at Irving Plaza

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was just a baby faced 23 year old who was naive and a little wet behind the ears in 2000.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I was 6, almost 7 I guess when this show came out. This semester at the University I attend, I was actually a student peer mentor/class assistant (sort of) to incoming freshman for a seminar class we had. The class I happened to land in was a class about U2. The semester just wrapped up this week, but it was a blast. Most of the kids in there never heard of them before.
The professor was sadly more into the post 2000 and The Joshua Tree. I had to show them some Zooropa and Pop.

Wait what university has a class on U2? I'll transfer there just to take that class

20-somethings who likes u2 cannot get along with all the hipsters who think hating big bands like U2 is cool. is that why we all ended up here?

I don't have friends who hate U2, they just tend to be indifferent to the band. I did watch the HBO special with a girl I met recently who also loves U2, so there's a few of us 20ish year old U2 fans out there

Everyone I know that doesn't outright hate U2, or like them at least likes some U2 songs.

Hell, Henry Rollins hates them as a band but actually admires Bono's charity work.

I don't think I know any true U2 haters in real life. Most people are indifferent towards them, but I have no trouble admitting that I'm a U2 fan, even to other college students. I don't talk about it constantly, but I also don't hide it.

It was my first year in Seattle, 27 years old. The only tour since Zoo TV I didn't see any shows. I don't know if I was all discombobulated in my new state, new life or what, but I was just totally out of the loop.

(My then-boyfriend had tickets to the Vancouver show, but if I'd gone, I knew I'd just have been stalling the breakup for the tickets, and I couldn't do it. he later told me he wouldn't have cared and I should have gone with him anyway. D'OH.)

Mostly I'm learning half the people I disagree with on this board are literally 22 years old or younger . No wonder.

37 here. I think. Honestly I'm at the age when I forget my own age. It doesn't come naturally anymore.

Mostly I'm learning half the people I disagree with on this board are literally 22 years old or younger . No wonder.

37 here. I think. Honestly I'm at the age when I forget my own age. It doesn't come naturally anymore.

Ha. Yea. Makes you wonder if those older than us thought we were douchebags 10-15 years ago.

Or now. Probably now.

I don't have friends who hate U2, they just tend to be indifferent to the band. I did watch the HBO special with a girl I met recently who also loves U2, so there's a few of us 20ish year old U2 fans out there

Yeah, indifference is usually the response for people my age. Fine (and understandable) by me.

Yeah, indifference is usually the response for people my age. Fine (and understandable) by me.

I just converted a friend though. He mainly listens to rap and Spanish music and wanted to see what the band was all about so I made an hour and thirty minute playlist to listen to on our drive from school to my home. The playlist was:

1. I Will Follow
2. Out of Control
3. Tomorrow
4. Sunday Bloody Sunday
5. New Year's Day (Live from Red Rocks)
6. Bad (Live from Wide Awake in America)
7. With or Without You
8. Where the Streets Have No Name (Live from Boston)
9. Desire
10. Zoo Station
11. Until the End of the World (Live from Paris)
12. Stay Faraway, So Close!
13. Zooropa (Live from U22)
14. Gone
15. Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of
16. City of Blinding Lights (Live from the Rose Bowl)
17. No Line on the Horizon
18. Cedarwood Road
19. Raised by Wolves (Live from Paris)

He really loved I Will Follow, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Streets, Desire, Until the End of the World, Zooropa, and Cedarwood Road. I feel like if more people our age actually listened to U2 they would like it.

I saw em on the first Fallon show on top of the rock and at the Brooklyn Bridge. Didn't get to Irving Plaza, but Unforgettable Fire is playing there tonight so that'll have to be close enough

My band played that night with UF!

I used to run to a cassette tape (Recorded off the radio), of U2 live from Irving Plaza. It was surreal to be playing on that stage, with my best friends in a band, on the 15th anniversary of the concert.

In a lot of ways I have to thank U2 for being the inspiration for starting our band. My guitar player and I watched them on TRL that same year and thought "How cool would it be to be in a band together!"

Mind you, we had no musical experience/training whatsoever but decided to start the band. Sound familiar? haha

I also want to say that Unforgettable Fire were excellent too. Great guys as well. Super, super nice to us.
Were you able to go Headache? Would have been cool to have met you. It was a really special night that I won't forget.

Thank you U2

Last edited:
I went down tnhere halfway through the show (listening to thesimulcast! at home. !Lived in Brooklyn not far from it's downtown- so it was a quick ,trip. Unfortunately you could not find a spot anwaywhere where you could hear the music thdxrough the outer walls. :( Had seen lots of bands there previojsaly. Stayed to the end as I nudged my way towards the stagedoor. Saw a glimpse of them first time up close- since even though I first heard them live reheaarsginf for the Pier 86 show in 1983 and saw them on most tours here in NyC and NJ I never fgot to see ten up close in concert or GA till 360. :love:

From then I. stayed outside the Garden or the Late night talk shows to catch a glimpse,
photograph them through 2nd or 3rd lrow of a crowd of fans and evenrually meet them all over about 11 years or so. They were quite considerate of fans.

Last edited:

You're still a year younger now than I was at the time of the Irving Plaza show!

Back
Top Bottom